• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

MR-1 Aftermarket Air Filters - Junk?

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So it appears that I caught this just in time :eek:

The mesh type air filters are made not of stainless but of coated mild steel mesh !! they held up for a bit (9 months and 70+ hours) but eventually looked dirty so i said to myself just clean them up and re install them... not so much... when I tried to clean them they just crumbled into nothingness...

K & N doesn't seem to make anything for these and Im gonna check a couple other sources (Unifilter and such)... I replaced them with a set from another vendor however they look identical and are made in China... If I cant find anything I am contemplating making my own either by casting a silicone mold and making a set of wooden gears to crinkle some stainless steel mesh (We used to have a candy shop so Ive made 1000's of pounds of ribbon candy so how hard could stainless steel be to whip into shape?) and pouring some urethane (Or Flex Seal LOL) tops and bottoms - OR - fabbing up some stainless and mesh cage and neoprene stock as seals... I dont have my CNC Plasma cutter here but I have a hand held miller set up and I can make a plywood template or something...

attachment - 2023-03-15T174438.248.jpgattachment - 2023-03-15T174451.381.jpgattachment - 2023-03-15T174507.716.jpg

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
gonna talk to RIVA to see how their filters are made and if there still available in the morning...

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Check out Island racing. I bought R&d aftermarket from them years ago and as far as I know the curren owner of the boat hasn’t had any issues with them. Looks like they only offer riva and some other oem brand that I just read about on their site. Another set of products to consider are velocity stacks which replace the four eom flame arresters in the original mr1s. These are brand specific
If you get the riva filter only the riva velocity stacks will fit in them properly.
613F6F05-A39B-467F-B95F-33DBF210B395.png

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i'm not sure I understand what you said... the riva filters have flame arrestor material built in so if you use the OEM stacks with the ribbon in them it doesn't matter.. the wire mesh ones are NOT USCG flame arrestor compliant so you need to leave the OEM stacks on. RIVA has some power filters in stock up in Pompano so I'll call them tomorrow. BTW the correct PN is RY1325-1 and It looks like a different design than the wire mesh ones. More like a K&N

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The R&D air filters I had on my sx230 had a metal mesh material and were cleanable and reusable. They also said USCG approved as a flame arrester. This allowed for the stock flame arresters to be replaced by velocity stacks which looked like the stock units without metal mesh in them. Here is a screen shot from an old thread on the other site. Until I saw this pic i would have sworn that the air filter sat on top of the stacks.

All this to say, if you can’t find R&d I recommend that you go with the riva as I’ve never heard anything bad about them but note that I don’t boat in a salt water environment. Lastly, the prices have not changed much since I last bought these filters, I think I paid $120 each for the r& d filters I bought .

E94070A1-E324-482D-B46E-4BB61FD04AB6.png

Last edited:

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
talked to RIVA this morning and I have a set of their filters coming.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
too bad there are no more velocity stacks... so will bore some billet ones on the lathe to 42mm and go forward from there...

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
too bad there are no more velocity stacks... so will bore some billet ones on the lathe to 42mm and go forward from there...
I think the mesh from the oem flame arrestors can be removed completely since you’re using the riva airfilters / flame arrestors.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yes but the shape is all wrong when you remove the ribbon... I have some 40mm billet velocity stacks that i will bore to 42mm exact match to the throttle bodies and be done...

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Riva Filters are very nice and thety are more Like K&N marine quality... velocity stacks be here thins weeks and I'll need to machine them to fit perfectly in the lathe... I'll also ditch those kiddy set screws in favor of some three ply silicone hose and some narrow band rolled edge stainless clamps... I pulled a set of throttle bodies out of my spares and got the measurements. In theory these are in the length that should help midrange power and the longer the more the power moves up the rpm range.

attachment - 2023-03-20T151917.497.jpgattachment - 2023-03-20T152121.627.jpgattachment - 2023-03-20T153849.532.jpg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Riva Filters are very nice and thety are more Like K&N marine quality... velocity stacks be here thins weeks and I'll need to machine them to fit perfectly in the lathe... I'll also ditch those kiddy set screws in favor of some three ply silicone hose and some narrow band rolled edge stainless clamps... I pulled a set of throttle bodies out of my spares and got the measurements. In theory these are in the length that should help midrange power and the longer the more the power moves up the rpm range.

View attachment 196063View attachment 196064View attachment 196065
Just curious, are the Riva air filters stamped “USCG Approved as flame arrester” or something similar. Again the R&Ds I had were, so suspect these would be too because they look the same.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
NOPE they are indelibly marked with the MFG and part number

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've never changed mine. Still looks brand new and engine runs 10,200 rpms. That's rusty AF.