• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Mr shrinkwrap ruined my gelcoat

Spg1582

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
I used an anti chafing film under my shrinkwrap. Where it crinkled up it left stains on my 22 fsh that are deep in gelcoat. Getting no reply from Mr shrinkwrap..any ideas what happened?

Attachments

• 20230530_113617.jpg
    20230530_113617.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 79
Looks like a new graphic pattern. Can you pan out to see more of the hull? Can you show us the film? Is that chaffe or staining? Never seen shrinkwrap do that, was it clear or white?

Its not chafing it was under the anti chafing film.

Attachments

• 20230625_105841.jpg
    20230625_105841.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 20230625_110058.jpg
    20230625_110058.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 58
I've never used an antichafing product under shrinkwrap, it doesn't seem necessary at all unless maybe you're towing it wrapped a lot. This is odd damage, almost like there was some chemical that got trapped in it.

Is the white wrap translucent or opaque? You said it occurred at the wrinkles, thinking sun intensity there oxidizing the jelcoat. May need to buff out.

Will not buff out wet sanding it out. Kinda time consuming. I think moisture that froze and thawed all winter. It is super windy so I thought it would be extra protection. Won't be using it again.

We've had brand new black cars delivered that look just like under the shrink wrap. Heat gun takes it out quickly, I was told it's moisture stuck "in" the paint.

We've had brand new black cars delivered that look just like under the shrink wrap. Heat gun takes it out quickly, I was told it's moisture stuck "in" the paint.
I might give that a try tomorrow thanks Maslin

I agree, almost looks like the gelcoat sucked up a bunch of moisture from condensation where the shrink wrap didnt adhere. How long has it been like that since you took the wrap off? Heat gun sounds like a solid thing to try before sanding. Hope it comes out easy.

When they shrink wrap the torch could have been left to long in one spot hopefully it’s what the other posters mentioned. Over 20 years having my Yamahas shrink wrapped I never had that happen

Hi fellas, anyone have any other ideas. I used the heat gun this morning with no change. Got it pretty hot which was more nerve wracking than sanding. Thanks for the input greatly appreciated

When they shrink wrap the torch could have been left to long in one spot hopefully it’s what the other posters mentioned. Over 20 years having my Yamahas shrink wrapped I never had that happen
You probably never had the chafing wrap applied first. I'm just guessing here. Tried to do extra. Did not work out so much. Thanks for replying

Back