• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

MR1 engine not running more than 6,000 RPM at times

I tried all I could outside the engine. Swapped coils, ecu, injectors, fuel inlet on case it was the fuel pump, and the problem stayed with the engine. I tried removing 1 coil at a time to see if a cylinder was dead, but all pointed to engine internal problems, so at the end of the season (mine would not go over 8k) I gave up and took it to the shop.

My numbers were pretty similar to yours, and did not vary by adding a little oil to the cylinder before the test. This is generally an indication of an issue with a valve, but I did not find anyone interested in repairing, only swapping head was the smallest increment anyone would try. We ended up installing a low hours freshwater engine on one, and new head on the other side. Both engines had been having one issue or another that could be traced to water ingesting (low rpms on one, water in oil on the other)

I'm disappointed the exhaust cannot be removed and inspected with the engine in the boat. In any case the shop did quite a bit, so engine removal ended up being the least expensive thing about it.

Hopefully for you it's something cheap and easy, but it wasn't for me.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help and input over the years!
Sold the boat to a young man full of ambition this evening. He said he will most likely replace the problem engine. He has seen this thread a knows the background.
Truly enjoyed the boat as long as I had it. Kids learned how to wake board and operate a boat (well, at least one of them).
On to the next chapter in life!

Back