• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Muffler Strap Bracket....09 212SS

ltw77

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
So each muffler has two bungees holding the mufflers tight, The bungees have a square ring on each end that attaches to a bracket screwed to the fiberglass. Last week, I discovered one of the brackets came loose due to the screw head breaking off. My question is, what would the best option be to fix this? I was thinking maybe grinding the screw down flush and using some life caulk and let it cure for a week before hooking the strap back up. Any thoughts/ideas?? Thanks everyone!

I've never open my cleanout tray so I can't really say, I would think you should try to back whatever is left of the screw out and put a new one in. My only concern with caulk/epoxy would be if for some reason (although highly doubtful) you would need to get the bracket out.

I don't think using life caulk to hold the bracket in place would be sufficient. If there is enough of the broken screw sticking out why not use vise grips to remove it and then put in a new screw?

@Ronnie I think it is #15 and 16 he is dealing with on your diagram,

Thanks for the responses. @Scottintexas you are correct. Looks like the head of the screw suffered either enough vibration and/or salt from the brackish water I boat in that it let go. I believe I can get the rest of the screw out so I will start there. I guess I was thinking another screw may have a hard time "biting" into the fiberglass in the same hole. I'll give a shot!

If you can't get the old screws out just relocate the bracket 3/4 of an inch to the side of where it was originally , use a new stainless screw and don't worry about it.

I agree with what @Cobra Jet Steering LLC said, if you cannot get the screw out.

For getting the screw out, I agree with @andy07sx230ho , but my next step would be to take a Dremmel tool with a cutting disk and recut a single groove in the top of the screw. Then use a straight-blade screwdriver on it.

Back