• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My daughter and I surfing

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yea being that close to the boat is probably the issue. Until I'm sure I won't be rubbling my gelcoat or scrapping the bottom of my board I won't be trying it.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How does that not scratch your gel coat and bottom of your board?
Maybe some hydroturf on the edge of the swim deck would prevent that if it's happening at all.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Transom start and recovery are very easy. We need the rope when we do it for the rider to hold to keep his/her balance. We have someone hold the nose of the board. I have some videos somewhere. Cam.

Yamaha242lsdallas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Transom start and recovery are very easy. We need the rope when we do it for the rider to hold to keep his/her balance. We have someone hold the nose of the board. I have some videos somewhere. Cam.
I honestly have no idea why anyone would want to do it another way unless I'm missing something. Far less skill getting up, much faster overall, much easier for a new rider. Only negative I can see would be if you have a higher transom.

Yamaha242lsdallas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Unless you fall forward and face plant into the swim deck... Ouch...
I guess you could fall while in the transom still, or somehow lunge forward just off the transom..but its very hard to even do that..the minute you stop moving forward and start to fall the boat is still pulling away from you at ~10MPH. Not saying its impossible, just seems like it would be hard to do.

MParsons

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nothing better than having your kids out on the water! Good surfing!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I honestly have no idea why anyone would want to do it another way unless I'm missing something. Far less skill getting up, much faster overall, much easier for a new rider. Only negative I can see would be if you have a higher transom.

Voids the surfboard warranty........ Once you are used to water starting it is VERY easy and far less dangerous. I can see myself slipping and hitting my head on the side of the boat and getting a concussion.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Voids the surfboard warranty........ Once you are used to water starting it is VERY easy and far less dangerous. I can see myself slipping and hitting my head on the side of the boat and getting a concussion.
Now that you mention it, I remember reading that in the documentation for one of my boards too. It could be a lot worse than a concussion if not floating correctly in the water. This is probably one of those things that seems dangerous until you actually try it and then it's not so bad. However I don't think I'll get over the seems dangerous part to try it since I don't have any issues with deep water starts. For some reason this reminds me of the member that put hydro turf on his tower so his kids could jump off of it into the water. Not something I'll be allowing anytime soon.