• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My First Days in Jolly Ole England

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used to be quite a drinker, I hardly ever have more than a couple drinks once or twice a month now. During the summer I'll take a few beers with me on the boat to the beach, i don't over do it like I used to.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow Guinness is a heavy drink and although i have drunk it years ago not in large quantities, I was never a big drinker and stopped drinking years and years ago, The Irish always say Guinness never travels over water so they never drink it only in there homeland and when i have traveled to Ireland i must admit it does taste better than that that is brewed in England but I'm certainly no expert on beers but you seem to go for the stronger versions that Carlsburg 1664 is loopy juice.
If you Google Colton Staffordshire it's a small village and there are 2 pubs The Greyhound and The Dunn Cow i lived near the later and as we spoke earlier about having a stop over in the village pubs it brought back a few memories, My friend owned the Dunn Cow and i lived about 100 meters away from it, I was a and still am a Radio Ham and when i lived there i often would have my radio on in the background and sometimes the Police scanner, On many occasions after closing time i would hear one of the local pubs mentioned as someone who had a gripe maybe made a Phone call to say that there was after hours drinking going on even though there was no noise, I would just give them a call before the police got to the village as they had about a 5 mile journey just to warn them and they would take the appropriate steps, The one time i had a hand held scanner with me while i attended a stop over and heard that they were on there way so it was lights out and sit on the floor quietly, You could hear the Bobby outside looking through the windows with his torch and then we heard him report back that all was quiet as he drove away the stop over just resumed where it left off and he asked on his radio who had called the station and they revealed the culprit so after that we knew who it was and let them know that we knew , The landlord just said he had a tip off from a friendly policeman that they had a problem and he had no more trouble after that, It wasn't as if any harm was being done and there was no noise, To be honest the Police only attended because someone had reported it otherwise they just live and let live.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I enjoyed more German, Dutch and Belguin beer in the pubs than British. Although we lived in England I spent a lot of time in Eindhoven and Stuttgart so that must have effected my taste.

The ciders were probably my favorite British option. I liked the Shandys on summer days and thought that was a good concept. Around Cambridge they liked to serve the foreigners a mix of lager and dark beer or there was a pub by the river that served 20% alcohol cider in plastic cups.

We typically keep Guiness around to use in stew. The only time I have enjoyed Guiness was on the factory tour. What they serve fresh at the factory is so much better than elsewhere.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I really don't know why I drank Guiness So much, there were plenty others that were not as heavy that I liked. I stopped drinking it when I realized I was gaining weight, I actually stopped drinking all together for a couple months.
I could never chug beer and never saw the point of doing it, I was amazed that a couple guys that I hung out with could down a whole pint of Guiness in under 10 seconds.

When I got back to the states I went to a bar and they had Guiness on tap, I got excited and ordered it, of course the guy poured it all messed up and it tasted terrible...I haven't had one since.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I really don't know why I drank Guiness So much, there were plenty others that were not as heavy that I liked. I stopped drinking it when I realized I was gaining weight, I actually stopped drinking all together for a couple months.
I could never chug beer and never saw the point of doing it, I was amazed that a couple guys that I hung out with could down a whole pint of Guiness in under 10 seconds.

When I got back to the states I went to a bar and they had Guiness on tap, I got excited and ordered it, of course the guy poured it all messed up and it tasted terrible...I haven't had one since.
Yes there is an art to pouring Guiness if you go to Ireland they will have maybe 6 or 7 pints sitting on the Bar just topping them up gently one at a time until the Barman is satisfied it's right before he brings them over to you, You don't wait at the bar he delivers them to the table when he considers they are good enough, I understand what you mean about being poured wrong as if you pour Guiness wrong it looks a bloody mess and undrinkable.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I enjoyed more German, Dutch and Belguin beer in the pubs than British. Although we lived in England I spent a lot of time in Eindhoven and Stuttgart so that must have effected my taste.

The ciders were probably my favorite British option. I liked the Shandys on summer days and thought that was a good concept. Around Cambridge they liked to serve the foreigners a mix of lager and dark beer or there was a pub by the river that served 20% alcohol cider in plastic cups.

We typically keep Guiness around to use in stew. The only time I have enjoyed Guiness was on the factory tour. What they serve fresh at the factory is so much better than elsewhere.
I really enjoyed opening a bottle of Cider straight from the fridge on a warm summers evening and sitting in the garden and gently sipping it but i hated going to a Pub and being served with plastic glasses, I remember when they came in it was because there was trouble starting to occur in the town pubs and clubs by the younger generation, Thankfully the situation never reached the village pubs mainly because they would be be policed by the older members of the village and also respect was always shown as they had grown up there.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We had a special delivery from across the pond! Way better than what is sold in the stores here.

image.jpg

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lets move on from our favorite pint to our favorite Chippy.

Barney's Plaice on the High Street in Huntingdon was my favorite.

We ate at Gordon Ramsay's Fish and Chips on the M25 by the Dartford Tunnel once. It was absolute rubbish.

Fish and chips are no good unless they are served in paper with a big helping of mushy peas!

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lets move on from our favorite pint to our favorite Chippy.

Barney's Plaice on the High Street in Huntingdon was my favorite.

We ate at Gordon Ramsay's Fish and Chips on the M25 by the Dartford Tunnel once. It was absolute rubbish.

Fish and chips are no good unless they are served in paper with a big helping of mushy peas!
I agree but i also hate white chips if you get out of the London surroundings you find they are cooked in Beef dripping and are a nice brown color a nice splash of salt and vinegar a good piece of haddock and mushy peas served with the crusts off the ends of a loaf of bread.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe the chippy in Huntingdon served the beef dripping chips. I would describe them as golden brown.

I never had the mushy peas on bread they always came in styrofoam. We occasionally order cans of mushy peas.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe the chippy in Huntingdon served the beef dripping chips. I would describe them as golden brown.

I never had the mushy peas on bread they always came in styrofoam. We occasionally order cans of mushy peas.
Mushy peas with loads of vinegar superb.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you know the Mean Pig just outside Little Rock i have just seen it on Thai TV some guy had been and eaten a Pork Sandwich with some very hot sauce that the guy makes there called shut up sauce, God he can eat.