• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My first PWC

Tom41b

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi guys! New to this forum!
I’ve been wanting to get a pwc for some time, but now I’m seriously considering it. I have a budget around 2k, not a lot of wiggle room in it because I’m only 17 in high school.
I’m not really sure what specific pwc i should get. For starters I would likely be riding on Lake Michigan and a smaller local lake. I’ve ridden my cousins sea-doo spark and i liked it, especially jumping yacht’s wakes on Lake Michigan. However a spark is a bit out of my price range and i can ride my cousins so i want something different. This leads me to the dilemma between stand up and sit down. On one hand i like sit down I’m familiar with riding them, but something about the nuance of a stand up appeals to me.
I’ve been looking in js440’s and js550’s. I’m not to worried about having to work on them a little to get them running. I’ve been around engines and mechanical stuff all my life, and my dad could help me of needed. Also saw a 650sx for sale locally but i hear they handle terribly.
Anyways what should i look into in terms of a sit down pwc(something similar riding style to a spark)? Or should i not even consider a sit down? What do you think?

tldr: first jet ski under 2k recommendations? I Like playful riding with a jumps, carving, etc. What are some good stand ups and sit downs to look into?

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your gonna have a hard time finding a reliable ski under 2k. Seadoo spark is as cheap as you get in the jet ski world.

Stonerok

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You should be able to pick up a Yamaha Superjet square nose stand up or a Yamaha Wave Blaster 93-96 in your price range. Your not going to have gas range as your friend with the spark on a standup or blaster but your going to have a heck of a good time. There are so many mods still available to increase performance Stay away from the Kawasaki 440, 550 and 650s. A Kawasaki 750sx would be a good ski also can be found in your price range. I have owned X2s, 550s Suprjets and blasters. I still own the 2 middle super jets (yellow and white) one, and the blaster but quit racing the local races that's why the numbers are on it. I don't ride them anymore but one day I will. I ride my seadoo or take the boat out now.

Attachments

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Try for older vx 1016 cc 4 stroke.
You might get lucky

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As someone who has been there in some sense, here are my recommendations. Don't be afraid to hunt for a deal and be patient, the first thing you find may not always be the best deal. Be willing to drive, looking for skis out of town can be a good way to find deals. If you find something you like become an expert on that ski and the common problems that are documented on the internet. Consider calling different jetski speed shops/mechanics and ask if and what common problems may exist with the particular ski you are looking at (a few years ago, I helped my dad buy a Kawasaki 1100 STX-DI not knowing of the ECU failures common to that engine. It was only after calling a few shops that I ended up taking with a mechanic who knew about the problem but more importantly how to install a cooling bypass line to prevent the ECU from overheating). That same Kawasaki 1100 was purchased for $2300 to be a second ski to the FX SVHO, the thing rips, is super easy to work on and might be what I would recommend to someone starting out. Nothing wrong with a good two stroke as long as the body of water you plan on riding in allows them.

Skis to keep an eye out for:

Kawasaki 1100's (1997-2000) <- really good sit downs that still kick ass if they were maintained and can be found cheap.
Kawasaki 750SX (1992-1994) <- one of the best stand up skis around, my dad's 92 is still running to this day. Only look for 750's with proper oil injection
Yamaha VX (2004?) <- might be hard to find one in your price range but you could get lucky, try rental shops.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I loved my first ski. Pulled from google. Problem is engine is worth the ski itself.
Find a good seadoo XP. You will have a blast #suke

301.jpg

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a Sea-Doo SP, XP and HX. Also had a Kawasaki 650SX. By FAR, my favorite was the Sea-Doo HX. Jumping the wake of the Jet Express in Port Clinton was simply awesome, and carving like it was on rails. Pretty much a one-seater, but you can do two if you know what you are doing. A little harder to find, but most are in your price range.

Oh man.. wish I could turn back time!

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Old school sea doo XP and HX are fun. Newer XP are awesome hulls but crap reliability. Old school kawi ultra 150s (?) were fun. Yam blasters still are awesome skis to own.

But hands down a superjet is the most fun ski made. More so round nose superjets. Older sxr 800 are a lot of fun but a little heavy. And if you can get a kaw 440 or 550 for a good price they're fun beater skis. Never rode a 750sx but for the right price probably a good option.

If you wanna bring a chick with you get a boat. It gets old on a sit down after one season.

brokitansky

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had both a 99 Yamaha gp 800 and 00 Yamaha gp1200 “millennium edition” several years ago. Got them both for under $2000 each. Those things were a blast - perfect if you just want to mess around on the water and not cruise for hours on the intracoastal or something like that. The GP 800 lasted 3 years without problems then I sold it for the same price I bought it for. The GP 1200 blew a piston after 2 years and I sold it for $100.

Tom41b

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What are your guys’s thoughts on Kawasaki x2?

Stonerok

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
What are your guys’s thoughts on Kawasaki x2?
Fun ski, underpowered in stock form. Needs an aftermarket exhaust, new carb and manifold and replaced impeller. Bought my first 1 on eBay for 177 dollars before they became somewhat popular 10 or so years ago.