• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My LED Lighting Project

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SE
Boat Length
I am always looking for inexpensive ways to dress up my older Yamaha LS2000. Last summer I started an interior LED project and before I put the boat back on the lift this spring I completed the project with underwater lighting of the wake.

I ordered 8 of these for the interior lighting: 2 up front in the bow seating area, 1 each under the helm and glove box area, 2 in the rear seating area and 2 on the swim platform. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJVLA04/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the underwater lighting I ordered 3 of these evenly spaced along the transom just below the waterline. I was looking to light up the wake so it looked like an afterburner. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008YWG3AW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are a few pictures which I am not pleased with but these were the best of a number of attempts.

interior light.jpg wake light 2.jpg

looks great man. What don't u like?

@Kross love the lights but I hate the pictures. It was very hard to get even marginal photos due to the low light. I was very pleased with the way the boat looks both moored and underway.

That's cheap for transom lights, how do you like them? Usually they're about $400 for 1!

That's cheap for transom lights, how do you like them? Usually they're about $400 for 1!

Yea the under water lights that run $200-$400 each ...some times even more are the very high intensity lights that get so hot you can't run them unless the boat is in the water (some even have a key lock switch so you don't accitently turn them on and fry them. Those are totally different than what I used. Mine are true underwater lights that are sealed but they are not the super high intensity type that get so hot.

I chose these for cost (I didn't want to spend a grand on a 13 year old boat) and for the fact they don't have to be wet ... it is cool to light it up while its on the lift. I am pleased with the results both moored and underway and the water here is not espically clear.

I mounted them just below the water line on the transom one of the concerns I had with something like a drain plug light was how deep in the water it would be, as I said our water is not espically clear.. I think a big factor in how far they penetrate is the transome tilt points them downward a bit.

nice job. Thanks for the links.

@treeskier , I am seeing this and considering starting on a similar install. This looks great and it is functional since right now I have a single courtesy under the dashboard.

A couple of quick questions:
1) did you screw each of the courtesy lights in place or did you use 3M/other tape only? If tape only, are they holding up?
2) did you install a dimmer on the courtesy light switch? Did you use the original, courtesy light switch?

I did screw the lights in that are in the cabin...the screws were very small and they are covered by a snap on bezel ... no 3M tape. The underwater lights on the transom are screwed in and have a rubber gasket I used 3M sealant in the holes I drilled for those.

All of my LED lights are wired through the OEM courtesy light switch. I did not install a dimmer and I did disconnect the original incandescent courtesy light.

Back