• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My Yamaha boat is such a disappointment mean to me

Do you you live in the Key’s? Riva was helpful to me and due to limited storage I don’t think they keep it there longer than they need to. Due to politics and cleaner burning regulations crap that is required, it is the political aholes fault that our stuff does not run without all the electronics. I always had Diesal trucks now I would not touch one. Yamaha has a good name for reliability for a reason, so hopefully with a little tweaking you can get out there and enjoy.
trust me your next thread will be about seaweed down there. Ill be down Tuesday night pm me if you want a ride on a FSH.
Sorry. It’s hard for me to understand why it taking 5 weeks plus when they knew what the problem is. They fixed the boat leak problem and the water filling the sea weed clean out holesproblem. They told me they needed to replace the Multi Function Display Unit over a week ago and RIVA told me they just ordered it. I have know idea when I will get my boat back. I’m not very happy to say the lest with Yamaha or its service or for the that matter the boat. i am so disappointing and I would never buy a Yamaha product again. Phil

All of these problems just started... did the acceleration problem start after you drove back on one engine. Is she dry stacked? Is she flushed after each use.

The keys is a beautiful place and I hope you get your boat back shortly to enjoy the waters more often. You must live in or very near key west if its 2 hrs to riva motorsports

I understand that your having issues but are you going into the dealership and trying to "work" with them or ranting about all of the problems? I've found out that the more willing you are to listen to them and try to understand everything that's going on instead of raising hell gets things done quicker. If someone comes into my shop constantly complaining asking why is's not done, when's it going to be done and that I need to do "this" that I tend to not want to work on their project quite as hard as the guy who comes in asking how everything's going and is willing to listen and be patient. Sometimes there are more underlying issues that are found because everything is not always black & white.

Just my .02

1st of all, I don’t raise hell with anyone. Why would you assume I would do that. I’ve learned 50 years ago that doesn’t accomplish anything. (You catch more bees with honey then you do with vinegar)
I live 2 hours from the nearest dealer. Them (4 hours Roundtrip). I call them every other day.

I feel the same way with my boat. They really need Lemon Laws to cover boats. Good luck, Yamaha doesn't care even when they can't figure it out.

There is a lawyer here that recently bought a yamaha jet boat on the east coast. It had a lot of problems. Yamaha Corp eventually agreed to either refund his money or exchange the lemon he bought for a new boat (I can’t remember which). They only did so after he filed a claim against them in his local federal court. I will try and find and post his member name in case you (i.e., @adrianp89 and/or @philinkeys ) are interested. As I recall The process was relatively easy and may cost you a few hundred to file but at least it produced the desired result which more than I can say about working through the dealer with or without a YES plan.

Thank you for your response.
I do agree with you they Yamaha does not care because I Yamaha Corp. a couple letters and they didnt even response so I feel like they are not interested in your problem with their boat.

I do feel most of problem is in the service center. They tell you to bring the boat in, you bring it in and they don’t do anything for a week or so. Then when they do something it appears that they do a little here and a little there. With me they knew they had to order a Connext screen and a hose and clamp and they wait a week to place the order. It is extremely frustrating. The parts needed are finally arriving and now the challenge is to see how long it takes them to put the parts in and complete the job. Unfortunate for me I live in the Florida Keys where I can use the boat all year round and we normally go out once a week. So for six weeks we have not been able to use our boat and we‘ve had many beautiful boating days.

I never assumed that you were raising hell, just asking. For reference @swatski boat has been at the dealer since November without a "fix". I understand your frustration but things aren't always an easy in & out quick fix. There are times where troubleshooting takes forever, especially with all of the new electronics and the way the systems all interact with each other. The other thing is they more than likely have to order parts, seeing no one keeps anything in stock. If the part that they order doesn't fix the problem the will troubleshoot again(more time) and have to order a different part. Almost every shop does it this way.
Hope they figure it out soon.?

There is a lawyer here that recently bought a yamaha jet boat on the east coast. It had a lot of problems. Yamaha Corp eventually agreed to either refund his money or exchange the lemon he bought for a new boat (I can’t remember which). They only did so after he filed a claim against them in his local federal court. I will try and find and post his member name in case you (i.e., @adrianp89 and/or @philinkeys ) are interested. As I recall The process was relatively easy and may cost you a few hundred to file but at least it produced the desired result which more than I can say about working through the dealer with or without a YES plan.
The only case of a boat "exchange" I'm aware of is the one with the hull drooping on one side, wherein the FRP was presumably not cured right in the mold, but no lawyers were involved there as far as I remember? Was there another, mechanical, lemon law case here?

--

You are right. It takes time. I guess I feel that six weeks is a long time especially when they knew what the problem is at the end of the first week. Fortunately I have Yamaha‘s YES five year warranty so it should all be covered Under warrant. I miss my boat.

The only case of a boat "exchange" I'm aware of is the one with the hull drooping on one side, wherein the FRP was presumably not cured right in the mold, but no lawyers were involved there as far as I remember? Was there another, mechanical, lemon law case here?

--
Yes there was another over last season. Lawyer / member bought it for his family with two teenage boys. The boat (a 242 not sure which one) was in the shop most of the summer. Member went back and forth with his dealer and yamaha for a few weeks or months before filing suit in federal court. Yamaha made a settlement offer within a week of the claim being filed.

Thanks Ronnie
Phil

I believe @Ronnie is referring to @Cigarlaw 's boat and the issues he had since buying it. I believe his were electrical issues and other things as well. He sued Yamaha and Riva.

Last edited:
Okay, now I remember, but that's a different story all together - he had an accident that was a direct result of Yamaha defect subject to a recall! - switched reverse bucket cable, and then he ran with low battery, known to throw codes in E-series.
Took boat out soon after delivery experienced serious problem. Reverse actually caused boat to move forward causing us to crash into dock and nearby boat. Called dealer and they acted surprised. Took to dealer (at my expense through Miami traffic) and was immediately told that it was a quick fix. They actually tried to give it back to me within about 20 minutes stating that they fixed it. In fact, they stated that it was the 4th boat to come in with similar problem. I told them to try it again. After 2 hours at dealer they assured me that it was fine. I told them to keep it for a week, talk to Yamama because it obviously had a manf/assembly problem and asked them to call me when it was perfect. Took it back to marina (at my cost of time/traffic/marina charge for unloading). Next 2 trips ruined by other problems. First one back in marina, batteries dead because dealer forget to turn off main switch. Had to jump batteries. Next received overheating message even though water was coming out of both pissers. Overheating alarm rang throughout short trip. Next trip out "Check Engine@ Stop BCU Consult Yamaha Dealer" error message again. Next trip out, boat refused to go over 10 mph even though jets were clear of all obstructions. Mind you, I purchased this boat 2/14/19 and picked up about 1 week later. So in less than 2 months, I have yet to have one error/problem free outing on this POS. Last week I received the Safety Recall notice in mail from Yamaha (which addresses the linkage problem). After spending $70k on this, I have yet to have one problem free outing and have lost all confidence in this machine.
This is a very different situation than the OP, with liability for boat/dock/who knows what else involved.

--

You would need to know the basis of Cigarlaw's suit to determine if you can apply the same to a claim of your own versus just assuming it does not apply. He provided the citation to his suit, it should be available to the public but it would be a lot more efficient to just ask him. The alternatives seem to be either continue doing whatever it is you are already doing (e.g. work with your dealer and/or Yamaha directly but for how long or how much longer?) OR give up. If it was my new boat, especially if I was making payments on it, I would be exhausting all remedies before I considered giving up and selling the boat, probably at a big loss. I'm not as patient as the OP or Swatski so I would opt to explore all of my possible remedies ASAP.

One important differential is the timing, @Cigarlaw problems started/we’re reported right out, immediately after the purchase. There are significant differences between the factory (all inclusive) one year warranty and the (ancillary) “YES”. The latter, unfortunately, does not cover much if one reads the fine print.

One important differential is the timing, @Cigarlaw problems started/we’re reported right out, immediately after the purchase. There are significant differences between the factory (all inclusive) one year warranty and the (ancillary) “YES”. The latter, unfortunately, does not cover much if one reads the fine print.

And in this case, the OP has 3 years and 50 hours on the boat. Trouble free? or ongoing issues? And was it taken to the same dealer who may have been put off day one. Sounds like time for a new dealer and to start fresh on both sides of this claim.

Yamaha will replace expensive parts under warranty, but they will require the dealer to do very extensive troubleshooting of all other components prior before shipping out said part. I have no need to defend that dealer, but that's the process and yes it takes time. How quickly they move their service queue along is another story.

Good luck. Be sure to update your Post #1 on the other board as well. I voiced my opinion there.

I thought I purchased a reliable Yamaha boat that turned out to be a nightmare from day one.
2017 Yamaha 242 “E” series boat. Engine Starting problems from day 1. Several hull leaks; Engines not accelerating problems. (“DRIVE CONTROL CHECK ENGINE”) Touch screen not working; Grass clean out holes filling up with water. The boat only has 50 hours on it. No respond from Yamaha Corp. From letters I sent the corporate office. Yamaha doesn't care. My boat has been at the dealer for over a month with not knowing when I will be getting my boat back. Frustrating is not the word. I’m extremely upset especially living where I could use my boat all year round. I WOULD NEVER BUY A YAMAHA PRODUCT AGAIN. Phil L.

<admin fixed quote text layout>
I just sold my 2016 ar240 that I bought new (Thank god.). This boat had check engine lights from the first minute it hit the water. Every time I took it in. ( 2 separate dealers 4 times) they said nothing is wrong. . I bought this because I thought what could be more reliable than twin Yamaha motors in a new boat. Yamaha is useless to deal with. They will newer get another dollar from me.

I just sold my 2016 ar240 that I bought new (Thank god.). This boat had check engine lights from the first minute it hit the water. Every time I took it in. ( 2 separate dealers 4 times) they said nothing is wrong. . I bought this because I thought what could be more reliable than twin Yamaha motors in a new boat. Yamaha is useless to deal with. They will newer get another dollar from me.
Glad you got out from under a very rare lemon. With the thousands of boats they have sold, it’s great to see that the lemons are this rare. Threads like this will never sway from the popular opinion that these are some of the most reliable boats and best value for the money.

Last edited:
Back