• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

NADA values on used yamaha boats

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
So I'm trying to figure out NADA Guide pricing and make sure that I'm inputting the right 'options' when trying to value a stock boat.

Should I choose the INCLUDED Horsepower rating of 136-140 and will it account for two engines or should I choose the higher HP rating to match combined output? If the owner added things like ballast tanks or a rack, should I add those to the guide?

I realize these prices are just a guide. I just like to have the right ballpark number for my negotiations.

No power changes, even though the numbers are not correct, no trailer addition. Those 2 items add value for upgrade options but they aren't options on Yamaha boats they are included in the base price. You would add options for items the owner added, like racks, tower, speed control, ballast, assuming the base model didn't come with those items. For example a 212X comes with ballast and a tower so you wouldn't add those items as options since they are included in the base price.

Nada on these boats is sketchy at best. The most appropriate way for price comparison is shopping in your region and seeing what others are asking and going from there. Nada is normally unusually low for these boats.

X2^

Of course in my region, there are not a lot of comparable boats for sale right now. Plenty are starting to become available in the northern regions for obvious reasons. Add my unfamiliarity for pricing of like models that are older and it gets confusing. If you could tack a % on to the NADA pricing number, how under would you say it is compared to actual value? This of course is also ignoring the adage that the boat is only worth what someone will pay for it. ;)

Nada online only shows low and average retail, most will sell for high retail or more depending on demand in the area. I currently have my Yamaha 2012 212 SS with tons of options for sale priced right at NADA average retail, mainly because I currently have 2 boats and need this one sold soon.

@JetPowered when I was shopping for my boat and trying to figure all this out I did a simple regression analysis to find out high, medium and low values. Although this is not 100% in any nature, it at least gave me a way to justify and compare prices based on different dependent variables. Here is what I did, and maybe it will help shed some light on pricing.

I was in the used market, 2010 or newer and a had to be a 24 footer and I was willing to drive up to 500 miles to pick it up. I searched these parameters on boat trader, YJB, Craig's list ect. and created a spread sheet that had incorporated data to include distance, boat hours, and price. Regression allowed me to bump price off of hours or distance. Granted this did not help me with the mods but when I found a boat with higher hours and all the mods priced right inline with X number of other boats without the mods it allowed me to make an educated decision on what was more important to me at what value.

Good luck in your search.

I believe kbb also has pricing for used boats. Around here many people seem to use nada as a baseline for pricing. I've noticed a 10% to 20% increase in season and a similar decrease out of season. The only place I know of that does not use nada (or kbb that I know of) is my local yamaha dealer. They use a system called "buds". Which of course seems to provide lower price points for the boat I was considering training in.

Last edited:
There is also something called black book which is a paid subscription service. My credit union allows anyone to look up boats or cars on black book and they use this for their loan decisions.
https://www.thinkbank.com/black-book/

I admit i was contemplating trading in my boat for a 2015..but I know i'd probably lose my shirt with what the dealer would offer me for a trade in. :(

@JetPowered when I was shopping for my boat and trying to figure all this out I did a simple regression analysis to find out high, medium and low values. Although this is not 100% in any nature, it at least gave me a way to justify and compare prices based on different dependent variables. Here is what I did, and maybe it will help shed some light on pricing.

I was in the used market, 2010 or newer and a had to be a 24 footer and I was willing to drive up to 500 miles to pick it up. I searched these parameters on boat trader, YJB, Craig's list ect. and created a spread sheet that had incorporated data to include distance, boat hours, and price. Regression allowed me to bump price off of hours or distance. Granted this did not help me with the mods but when I found a boat with higher hours and all the mods priced right inline with X number of other boats without the mods it allowed me to make an educated decision on what was more important to me at what value.

I like your approach @GiddYupJoe. Very analytical. Although I'm not in the market now I may borrow this approach next time I am.

KBB only does personal watercraft, not boats.

The Black Book is the actual wholesale data from auctions around the country. It reflects wholesale prices. But like @jawsf16 said, the prices on Yamaha boats tend to be low and most bring more than book value when they sell. That's because lots of guys want them and not many are on the used market at any given time.

Just curious what was your R? If you came up with a high correlation value and were able to derive a meaningful equation, you should post it up here so folks can just plug in their values for a given price.

Also, it seems to me that the the price and hours variables would suffer from multicollinearity. Thus making the regression highly flawed.

@RobA I am in no way a statistical genius! I moved offices and for whatever reason I can not for the life of me find my old files from a year ago. If I ever do I will post them up here. No way I will remember the R. As requested attached is the file I used to perform the analysis.

Attachments

I admit i was contemplating trading in my boat for a 2015..but I know i'd probably lose my shirt with what the dealer would offer me for a trade in. :(
I felt the same way when we decided to upgrade to the 242. Our local dealer in fact told us that we would be better off selling on Craigslist because he couldn't offer us near what we could get on CL. So I decided on a CL price but called Randy Morris at Wedowee Marine (we bought the 192 from Randy originally) before listing the boat. Randy offered us a trade value that was within a couple hundred of my CL price and he had the '14 242 I wanted on stock. No brainier there as far as I'm concerned. No hassle of dealing with selling the boat, easy transaction with a dealer I trust. Sold.
Long story short, call around to different dealers, you may be surprised at what you get.

Back