• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 252X on single battery

gthorson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
I thought I would post an experience here in hopes someone can benefit from what I went through. I've learned a ton from this forum and maybe I can contribute.

I was boating with friends and they needed a jump start. Without cables I was unable to help but I had the idea of just giving them one of my batteries for a time. I removed one battery and handed it over to them. I then put the Yamaha into parallel mode and went about my business. Everything worked well and I figured what a great bonus of the dual battery system. Soon after, I started to notice that my fuel level was running oddly low. Everything was working fine except for that. Because I recently had a recall fixed for the fuel vent , I started worrying that some mix up with that had messed with either the gauge giving false readings or possibly a fuel leak. The amounts of fuel leaked would have been in the 50 gallon range so I figured I would have smelled it. I went about my day and decided not to trust the fuel gauge knowing that my friends were around if I needed a tow. After trying to fill some ballast, the boat went into full low fuel level alert. With that, my mind finally remembered that I was missing a battery. After going through electronics glitch semi-hell when I first got the boat, I settled really quickly into the theory that getting the battery back would put things right. Even though the battery I had was still in good shape, and with the motor running the electronics should have had all it needed, the boat did not like missing a battery. At that point my friend had run his motor enough he was done with my battery and I got it back. The world was set right again.

So, the lesson to be learned. You can do it, but the boat doesn't like it. I suspect every vessel may vary in the electronics glitches that pop up.

Last edited:

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yeah, i would never attempt to run on one battery, that's asking for trouble.