• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Naples to Key West Trip...???

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A recent thread got me thinking... would there be any interest in a Naples to Key West trip? It's not quite Bimini, but I would love to see a Naples to Key West trip in the Jetboaters.net future. Same distance to the launch point, but it is double the distance to beautiful water, and potentially cheaper because of fees, groceries, beer, etc... it would still need to be a summer trip because of seasonal costs.

Even trailering all the way to Key West could be an option... Dry storage is available for around $45 a day... Just a random idea at the moment, any thoughts?

bucks448

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Someone on YJB did that run and ended up flying home to get the trailer, I think, can't remember why.

I'd rather save the fuel for cruising the keys and just trailer down. It'd be really cool to take the key west express and somehow have your boat there when you arrived.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just did that trip at 10-12 knots running on 3 motors instead of 4. Wasn't fun!!

I would like to run that on the yamaha if there was a stop in between.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just did that trip at 10-12 knots running on 3 motors instead of 4. Wasn't fun!!

I would like to run that on the yamaha if there was a stop in between.
If we stop and raft up in calm water would that count? :rolleyes:

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Someone on YJB did that run and ended up flying home to get the trailer, I think, can't remember why.

I'd rather save the fuel for cruising the keys and just trailer down. It'd be really cool to take the key west express and somehow have your boat there when you arrived.
I do prefer to trailer... the savings in gas for the boat would be significant. We have vacationed in Key West each year for the last nine, three of which we took the boat... and those were the best times ever. We will definitely make this trip every year, and will take the boat each time we can. If it works out that we can make it a group trip, even the better.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If we stop and raft up in calm water would that count? :rolleyes:
We could find a spot to camp out over night! Now that would be fun.

Charles

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We are looking forward to both Bimini, and starting to plan a Islemarada/Key Largo trip (3 day weekend or holiday). I ran up the Atlantic from Ponce Inlet to St Augustine in 2-4ft waves to judge how the Bimini crossing would be (About same distance, 55 miles), and we did about 65 miles this weekend at night in Tampa Bay and the Gulf of Mexico near Tarpon Springs. Underwater LED's and 7" Garmin installed. Can't wait for keys!

We are looking at Islemarada due to distance, and the reef's. Key West is nice, been a bunch, but not sure it's worth the additional travel time.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Following, I could be up for a trailering / camping trip. If it is in cooler weather.
I have been to Key West in June, January and November and it was always 81-84 degrees and damp. Miami and Naples seem to swing a bit more temperature-wise as it was 50 and rainy all day in Miami/Fort Lauderdale on the day we drove down to Key West last November. Did not plan it that way, it just worked out that the one crappy day we were elsewhere. :)

242YLS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Also following, I would even consider trailering to a half way point between Naples and Key West.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I love it!
I know it's not Bahamas, but the wife and I have talked about doing something like this ourselves sometime in the winter. If there is a group, we would certainly consider going a bit more.
How would costs compare to Bahamas? Hotel stays? Camping out somewhere sounds cool and fun, and we have a full setup we can bring for that!
Someday I want a boat that I could trailer down to Florida, and yet drive it over to the Tortugas and camp out there. My be a little far fetched, but one can dream.
In any case, I'm in for working out details etc.
I picked my boat up from Naples actually!
I think it may be more cost effective to all just stay/boat in the islands, and perhaps work up and down the chain a bit? That way we can trailer to the hotel, which is always nice, and then boat to some really cool spots.
I have always wanted to see the Everglades as well. This would be a trip I would bring my kids with! 2016 is our 10 year anniversary, and we hope to go to the Bahamas. If for some reason that fails, this would be awesome.

So lets start this up....
When would be best to do this? I say during the "WINTER" months so that other outings/trips that are already established are not effected. January/February? Nothing really happens those months anyways.
My son has the 15th and 16th off in January for end of the quarter break. How's that weekend/week look for you guys?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Well, maybe we leave it up to the participants as to where they stay? Just have a get together on that weekend or something?

Tranio

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I like that idea. Need to then just pick a weekend. I will check those dates, it might be the same as the company picnic.

Bahia Honda is a nice camp ground

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That would be a nice trip. We go to to keys in April or May, best weather down there, July August September is Brutal and water is disgustingly hot, we trailer from Daytona, 7.5 hrs and stay at mile marker 14. If you have an RV this place is the best anywhere. www.bluewaterkey.com there are canal sites and baysites, each one has its private RV spot (divided by tropical vegitation) an outdoor tiki hut in front of RV, most of these have furniture some have sinks and TV, then in front of that is Your own Dock. the park is very clean, has a pool, showers and laundry. We spend the whole week outside except to sleep, we cook out every night. This is not KOA, there are only about 75 spots. We are prob going down in may, anyone going to the keys then we can show you some awesome spots that look as good or better than Bimini See picture

Attachments

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I don't think i'll be towing the boat AND the camper down to Florida from basically Chicago. One or the other.
I guess I don't wanna be the one heading up this group since I don't live down there and certainly can't commit until winter actually hits and I know where my funds land. We were talking it's either a week long trip like this, or a tower. So we will see what's going on with everything at that point!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Ok, so for those interested, is this primarily a boating excursion or camping?

I am not opposed to a "crossing" of sorts either as it would add to the excitement but maybe the first year we need to simply get together!

Check your calendar and lets look at January and February and see what works!

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Speedling - have you calculated the drive distance yet? I know you will calculate some fuel estimate as well. Let me know. This sounds interesting.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I did write it down somewhere my actual when i went down to naples to purchase my boat so perhaps i can find it. I did have that hard drive die so it may be gone.
Off the top of my head though, we left friday night after work and got to naples early Saturday afternoon. The trip back took longer due to towing and i didn't take the straight route back because my dakota was going to have issues going through the Appalachian mountains. We went over to 65 and slept at a stop for a bit and got home late Sunday.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Google says 25 hours from here so probably 24 for you. Sounds like a lot of fuel.