• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Nauticus Smart Tabs

Huv1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've read a lot of the older posts from a few years ago and, though there were a lot of opinions, I couldn't really see where anyone tried them on the new YJB to get a feel for how they perform. I had a set on my last SeaRay I/O boat and loved how they performed and got the boat to plane very quickly. I have a 2019 AR190 and was curious if anyone has any updated perspective or maybe has them on a new boat. Just don't want to go down a road that may not give me the same result as my last boat since these boats are different in a lot of ways. I appreciate anyone's insight on the subject.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I considered those strongly in my 190. Decided against it after playing with the ride plate angle a bit, I think these boats are sensitive to attitude adjustments as far as performance. I would go with real trim tabs that give you control. Or, if you are just looking to add some stability in tougher water cobra vipers may work.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had them on my last I/O as well. It was a '98 Rinker 182 with a 3.0L 4cyl and Alpha1 outdrive. They were an excellent addition to that boat. Planed quicker, and allowed for a better ride overall. I think I might have gotten an additional mph out of it as well (It ran 42mph as empty as I could get it). They lasted me the few seasons I had that boat after installation with no problems. I had used their "trolling brackets" on my installation, but had mounted them "backwards" so that I could retract them when wakeboarding/skating. The tabs absolutely destroy the shape and size of the wake, so retracting them was important at the time. I think they're a great product overall.

I asked about them here when I purchased my '17 AR190 a few years ago because of my success with them on the last boat. I'm not sure which thread, or what the title of the thread was to even go look for it honestly. There were a couple of folks that had tried them, and the general consensus was that they were "too much" for the jets. The idea was that the constant deployed nature of the smart tabs lead to a constant bow down attitude (since there is no trim reasonably available for the jet) and scrubbed off significant speed. The Yamaha already rides so much nicer than the Rinker (despite comparable dead rise angles at the back) that the ride isn't really a concern. I'm in the middle of my 3rd season without them, and honestly, don't miss them much. I've yet to have the jetboat porpoise at all, and with the L13/Ribbon Delete, I have zero issues getting to planing speeds, even with heavy loads. If I was running around in significant waves constantly, or had a consistent problem with the boat listing with uneven loading I might consider some electric tabs that would fully retract when not needed. With my current setup though, I don't really have the need. I'm loving the simplicity of this boat over my last I/O, and don't really want to disrupt that any more than I have to with added things to adjust.

Keep in mind, the only evidence I have here is anecdotal at best. I'm not sure I've seen any hard data from somebody actually using them on a 19' Yamaha. If they work I'll be next in line to get some, if they don't then someone just drilled holes in a boat for the benefit of others. I suspect, like the great fin debate, that it would be good for some, and not for others.

Huv1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the response. Sounds like I'll just leave it alone for now. I'm not really interested in the real trim tabs because I like the ease of these boats and don't want to add something I have to fool around with rather than just enjoy the day and the ride. Thanks again for the input.

@swatski ... can you elaborate on what you did "playing with the ride plate angle a bit"? Did it help improve anything?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the response. Sounds like I'll just leave it alone for now. I'm not really interested in the real trim tabs because I like the ease of these boats and don't want to add something I have to fool around with rather than just enjoy the day and the ride. Thanks again for the input.

@swatski ... can you elaborate on what you did "playing with the ride plate angle a bit"? Did it help improve anything?
If you're having problems getting on plane, then you'll have better value from an L13 Cone, pump seal session, and ribbon delete. Those three mods are the only "performance" mods I have on my '17 AR190. Total "peak" performance is pretty much unchanged. However the consistency of the boat is greatly increased. Loading and conditions are far less important to performance now than before. Heavy Load and heavy seas sees the same top speed and holeshot as a light load on glassy smooth water.

Huv1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the L13 cone and noticed a big improvement in cavitation and bleeding off power in the turns. I haven't looked at the pump sealant. Is the Ribbon delete something that applies to the 2019? I thought I read here somewhere that someone did it on the '19 model and it was all one unit and much more difficult than previous model years.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the L13 cone and noticed a big improvement in cavitation and bleeding off power in the turns. I haven't looked at the pump sealant. Is the Ribbon delete something that applies to the 2019? I thought I read here somewhere that someone did it on the '19 model and it was all one unit and much more difficult than previous model years.
Uncertain on the 2019 units in terms of Ribbon Delete mod. I've haven't been keeping up with that.

Glad the L13 is already working for you.

Huv1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll do a bit more research on the ribbon delete in a 2019 boat. I boat at an elevation of 120 feet above sea level so maybe this isn't going to show much of a gain anyway at that level. Thanks for the insight.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

For ribbon delete, I would just look at a parts fische on a parts site like Babbitt’s.
As far as ride plate, i used the fender washer trick to change the angle similar to jet skiers, nothing worked better than OEM set up. I believe @SamCF had similar experience.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Huv1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just as an informational update, the Babbit's website on the parts fische does not show a separate ribbon on the 2018/2019 model year AR190. The last year they showed a ribbon was 2017. Not entirely sure what this means but it doesn't appear to be an easily removed separate part anymore. Anyone else have any first hand experience with the last two model years?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just as an informational update, the Babbit's website on the parts fische does not show a separate ribbon on the 2018/2019 model year AR190. The last year they showed a ribbon was 2017. Not entirely sure what this means but it doesn't appear to be an easily removed separate part anymore. Anyone else have any first hand experience with the last two model years?
That’s interesting.
I hate to suggest that but I would check with jet ski yahoos on greenhulk, lol. They will know and other than different air filter box the intake configuration and ribbon placement has been the same in the ski and boat engines.

Scott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Reviving this thread to see if anyone has used the Nauticus Smart Tabs? I'm thinking of putting them on my 2020 212S. Would like to here some real world results.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Reviving this thread to see if anyone has used the Nauticus Smart Tabs? I'm thinking of putting them on my 2020 212S. Would like to here some real world results.
Still haven't really seen a need for them on my '17 AR190 after 4 seasons of heavy usage. I used them on my last I/O to help with planing with a full load, and being able to use all the trim all the time on that boat. No issues planing with the AR even with absurd loads that would make the old Rinker cray for help before the tabs.

Sadly, I'm not certain I've seen any reports of anyone using them on a jet since this thread was started a few years back.

Scott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Still haven't really seen a need for them on my '17 AR190 after 4 seasons of heavy usage. I used them on my last I/O to help with planing with a full load, and being able to use all the trim all the time on that boat. No issues planing with the AR even with absurd loads that would make the old Rinker cray for help before the tabs.

Sadly, I'm not certain I've seen any reports of anyone using them on a jet since this thread was started a few years back.
The reason I'm thinking of adding them is for a smoother ride in chop (keeping the bow down). Planning is not a problem for me at all.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The reason I'm thinking of adding them is for a smoother ride in chop (keeping the bow down). Planning is not a problem for me at all.
Don't know that I ever had that as a problem in this boat or the last one.

This one is noticeably "lighter" in the water than the last one, but otherwise they're about the same.

Where are you boating? We're on Patoka often and that gets bad on a busy Saturday afternoon. Most of the KY lakes are narrower and don't have the large chop like we see in the middle of Patoka. The river usually isn't bad unless it's really windy, or heavy traffic.

I'm honestly not certain I've seen anyone put tabs on a 19ft Yamaha. Smart or regular.

Scott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
We mostly boat on Patoka lake and the Ohio River. you are correct that it can get pretty rough on Patoka and in the river that’s the reason why I’m thinking of adding the smart tabs. My boat is a 21 foot.

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Im not 100% sure that this will help but it may be an easier solution perhaps..

I boat on the Missouri river and it can get pretty choppy and one day I took the boat out and we used the ski locker as a cooler (Filled with Ice/drinks) and the boat took the chop like a champ. I think it had something to do with the weight down low in the hull. If thats something that you try and find it works you could throw some lead ballast bags in there

Scott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Im not 100% sure that this will help but it may be an easier solution perhaps..

I boat on the Missouri river and it can get pretty choppy and one day I took the boat out and we used the ski locker as a cooler (Filled with Ice/drinks) and the boat took the chop like a champ. I think it had something to do with the weight down low in the hull. If thats something that you try and find it works you could throw some lead ballast bags in there
Boats always handle chop with more weight in them particularly up front in the bow. I think adding the smart tabs will help push the bow down when there is chop making it a better ride.