• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Navionics Web App

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have Navionics on several phones and tablets. There is a web app that you can view online as well

http://www.navionics.com/en/webapp .

It is not as functional as the phone and tablet apps but still a nice way to see the charts before you hit the water.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the navionics app as well. I my area it is lacking. The main lake I use is ok but we have about 100 miles of marked and navicable river to a chain up upstream lakes and it doesn't exist on the app. Cam.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have navionics but haven't needed to use it much. I used my Lowarance Elite 5 DSI for most most unfamiliar lakes last summer. If/When I get to the Mississippi I'll definitely be testing it out.

whaler7626

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the navionics app as well. I my area it is lacking. The main lake I use is ok but we have about 100 miles of marked and navicable river to a chain up upstream lakes and it doesn't exist on the app. Cam.
A fix for this may be to have a friend use his super-duper Garmin or Humminbird fishfinder/chartplotter to go record some sonar logs in the currently uncharted area, and then upload to Navionics-- supposedly within a week that sonar data will appear in the SonarCharts map view!

DonJohnsMusic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Just spent the last 2 hours looking at the maps from places we’ve been going! So excited about being able to see depths in the areas where using AquaMaps was just the color blue! We’ve been wanting to explore, but it’s like being blind in the water having no idea where the deeper water is verse avoiding the shallow water. Can’t wait to get out on the water to see how accurate it is! I have tried it before we got the boat and my 7 day trial had long expired, so after some research I decided to try it since my AquaMaps have been very helpful as long as we are in the ICW channel, but anything beyond that, we were just depending on our depth gauge and keeping our fingers crossed, not a good way to navigate. Can you imagine the old sailors before technology? I know you had to read charts, but I’m talking about before there were even charts. You have to admire those sailors of yesterday.
So much to learn, but love learning and exploring. This is a great tool to have. I’ll post on my next adventure. We’ve had two weekends of high winds so we have not been able to go out. Merry Christmas everyone!

EricB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Navionics overall functionality is great. I wish the Yamaha nav system had auto-routing. The Navionics UI, though is unintuative and documentation is sparse. I keep watching half outdated youtube videos trying to figure out how to do things.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Navionics overall functionality is great. I wish the Yamaha nav system had auto-routing. The Navionics UI, though is unintuative and documentation is sparse. I keep watching half outdated youtube videos trying to figure out how to do things.
What are you trying to do?maybe we can all figure it out together?

EricB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
What are you trying to do?maybe we can all figure it out together?
Great idea.
Starting with simple stuff, I am confused about the iconography for tides and currents.
I get that up/down arrows indlcated if the tide is rising or falling.
Same for currents, arrows indicate which way the current is running.
The numbers inside the arrows indicated tide relative to MLLW for tide and speed of current for current.
What I am confused about is the red vs the blue. The colors seem to almost, but not quite match change in direction of tide and currents.
What do they actually represent?

Next is the handy question mark thing where you pull up data on a POI. You can get tide and current for any specific location.
My question is if the app is simply pulling in the verbatim preditions from the nearest NOAA station or if its doing something incredibly smart by interpolating between nearby stations in order to get a custom prediction for the spot selected? It seems too much to hope for and I was going to compare that data to nearby stations, but maybe you already know the answer to this?

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Great idea.
Starting with simple stuff, I am confused about the iconography for tides and currents.
I get that up/down arrows indlcated if the tide is rising or falling.
Same for currents, arrows indicate which way the current is running.
The numbers inside the arrows indicated tide relative to MLLW for tide and speed of current for current.
What I am confused about is the red vs the blue. The colors seem to almost, but not quite match change in direction of tide and currents.
What do they actually represent?

Next is the handy question mark thing where you pull up data on a POI. You can get tide and current for any specific location.
My question is if the app is simply pulling in the verbatim preditions from the nearest NOAA station or if its doing something incredibly smart by interpolating between nearby stations in order to get a custom prediction for the spot selected? It seems too much to hope for and I was going to compare that data to nearby stations, but maybe you already know the answer to this?
Oh man. You struck me out! I'm a simple lake captain haha. But I'm sure our collective wisdom here can come up with that info.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This is a newer video and I think it's pretty in depth. It talks about currents and tides.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like we have some pretty sophisticated users here!
Navionics now works on Garmin, and it is pretty slick, the new maps with 3D relief shading are crazy cool, and can be super useful, especially in crowded industrial waterways.
I have not paid much attention to the current and tide predictions, it's certainly good to know the tides, but after that I find Windy to be my go-to for everything else I need to know for the day. The new Windy is incredibly accurate, at least in my area (NE).

EDIT: auto-guidance makes a lot of sense with autopilot, but I'm not finding it too too useful as it can do weird things on occasion, once you experience that happening - a weird reaction or turn, it's over for me (my confidence is not great in those systems).
--