• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

NC now requiring masks in all public places (indoor and outdoor)

Chevyguy2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just signed by the Gov. is a new mandate requiring everyone to wear face masks indoor and outdoor where social distancing (6 feet apart) is not possible.

States where this is already required, how are you boating? lol We have plans to be on the boat with friends/family the next couple weekends, especially for the holiday but now IDK how this will work...

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just signed by the Gov. is a new mandate requiring everyone to wear face masks indoor and outdoor where social distancing (6 feet apart) is not possible.

States where this is already required, how are you boating? lol We have plans to be on the boat with friends/family the next couple weekends, especially for the holiday but now IDK how this will work...
I’m in NC. I’m imagining that on my boat I’m socially distancing so no need but if there is someone at the ramp close i probably should have a mask ... I guess I’ll wear my pelagic fishing shirt and pull my neck gator up

JWExperience

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Under King Cuomo here in NY, I’m not seeing any masks worn by anyone in the water. In the bays, we had several outings with 50-100 boats in close proximity and people mingling. Looks like a reprieve from some of the tyranny on land. He just postponed opening gyms and malls etc (who have plans to meet his standards) and meanwhile, hundreds of people are touching everything in our local grocery/Walmart stores with little concern.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We wear our masks on the docks launching and retrieving boat. Then take them off on the water. I pretty much don't go in anywhere without my mask on. Hopefully if everyone is cool around here and does the right thing, our Dictator for a Governor won't lock us back down.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
From the People’s Republic of Illinois, this has been a mandate since May 1. I’ve been leaving the state to shop, I’m only 30 minutes from Wisconsin so not super far just annoying. What’s ironic is I could go in any number of “essential businesses” BEFORE May 1 without a mask. These governors keep it up they’re going to find themselves unemployed...FWIW I don’t wear a mask on the boat either.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
From the People’s Republic of Illinois, this has been a mandate since May 1. I’ve been leaving the state to shop, I’m only 30 minutes from Wisconsin so not super far just annoying. What’s ironic is I could go in any number of “essential businesses” BEFORE May 1 without a mask. These governors keep it up they’re going to find themselves unemployed...FWIW I don’t wear a mask on the boat either.
Let me know if you ever get up central WI for some freedom. :) Just avoid Madistan on your way if possible.

norm

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

I recall Mr Cooper walking in solidarity with protesters SANS mask, so to paraphrase another ships Captain, I refuse to acquiesce to his request.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wearing a mask just isn't that big a deal, that said I don't wear one while boating or at the ramp. Our ramps are pretty quiet though, rarely anyone else there at the same time, let alone within 6' of you.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our ramps are like a zoo. Everyone just all over everyone else. Coughing, breathing and sneezing etc. Not interested in any of that.

I don't wear a mask because I am required to, I wear it so that it minimizes me and my family catching Covid or getting it and giving it to someone. And it is the sensible and prudent thing to do. Its not a big deal to us. TBH if we weren't required The family and I would still use them till this thing simmers down and is minimized. Being close to healthcare and seeing what this shit does to some people, first hand, not interested in going through that. Only have a couple months or so left in the boating season would hate to get sick and not be able to enjoy it with the family. Furthermore if wearing a mask has a chance of helping to minimize this thing spreading and for everyone else as a whole, than it isn't too much trouble for us to do it.

We wear them briefly at the ramps, in the gas stations, grocery stores and all other stores, also at the office which I am back at for most of the week.

Last edited:

JTrottaNY

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
In NY, Upstate not the city, I keep it in my truck in case I need to run into a gas station for ice or what not. All of the dock attendants, paid and volunteer alike, are required to wear masks. I don't think I've seen any boaters at the launch or on the water with a mask. IMO the thin cotton mask is not going to protect me from catching anything, it is a courtesy to others so I'm not spraying spit out of my mouth in the event I do catch it and don't know about it.

We take care to use hand sanitizer after touching anything "public" but once we're in a private area (house, boat, truck) its a non issue- the people driving around with rubber gloves and masks on crack me up as they are just spreading whatever they touched at Walmart back into their car!

Without getting too political, and while I admittedly disagree with infringing on any freedoms, I do believe the regulations/suggestions put in place in NY helped to slow the spread in what WAS one of the hotspots in the US. Hopefully the workers and business' hit hardest by these restrictions make a swift recovery!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wearing a mask just isn't that big a deal, that said I don't wear one while boating or at the ramp. Our ramps are pretty quiet though, rarely anyone else there at the same time, let alone within 6' of you.
100% agree here. I don't go into public places without mine. I don't consider my boat a public place. I consider anywhere that I can or will be within 12ft of someone outside my immediate family a public place.

This has nothing to do with being legal, being told or dictated to, being an infringement on my rights, or any other legal/political bullshit. This is an ETHICAL choice I've made to be a good world citizen and not spread a highly contagious and deadly disease.

**-------------------** <-post separator :D

Here's a rant for J.Q.Public out there. I'm not aiming this at anyone in particular on this board, just a general inclination I get on this subject. This just feels like the right time to unload this thought. Read ahead at your own risk :D

<RANT>
If this rant hits close to home, GOOD. Take that as a hint to reevaluate your mindset.

Wearing a mask isn't about you, it's about those around you. It's a seriously MINIMAL effort thing you can do to help slow down/stop the spread of a highly contagious and potentially deadly virus. Are you really that inconvenienced by a mask? We aren't talking about changing anything in your day beyond 10-15 seconds to put it on, and 5 seconds to pull it off. It doesn't cost you much if any money. Most places will give you a mask if you simply ask for one. Whats the big deal here? Are you afraid you'll look funny? We're all in this at the same time, we all look like a bunch yaywho's with masks on, get over it. What is the rebellion here? Don't want to be told what to do? Why not? It's like a fish out of water wanting to stay on land because someone TOLD you to get in the water......it's for your own good you idiot!

How damn selfish are the people that won't wear a mask in public? Who in the exact hell do you think you are that you expect you can't be held to at least a basic standard of decency to NOT aid in the transmission of this disease, knowingly or not? Do you really feel you're so much more important than anyone else? Is your "right" to not be inconvenienced with a mask because of whatever BS reason you've dreamed up that you can cost someone else their life?

My wife hates her mask. HATES IT. So she does one of two things. Tolerates it long enough to go in somewhere, or stays the hell at home. Know why? Because she's not a selfish a-hole, and realizes this whole situation is bigger than her small inconvenience.

We're in a war against an enemy we can't see with our eyes, and it's not being fought on some foreign land where lackadaisical response and the associated repercussions aren't seen. This is being fought on our doorstep with our family, friends, and neighbors being swiftly, directly, and often times lethally impacted. The virus gives zero cares about where you live, where you shop, or how you really feel about the socio-economic, or mental health impacts of wearing a mask. If you aren't helping in the fight to contain this pandemic, then what are you doing? Have you considered that you might be unknowingly helping the spread? Clearly not, but maybe now you will.

IMO, these dictates by state leaders are the EXACT same premise that makes warning labels necessary. It's someone having to tell a large group of people to not do something obviously stupid, because that same large group of people have proven their not smart enough to figure it out on their own. If, we as a culture, weren't so hung up on getting ahead, or doing whats always best for us, or any of those things that have bred this bass-akwards selfish mentality, perhaps we wouldn't have to rely on the people we chose to be in power, to tell us what to do. We might have figured it out on our own. Clearly that isn't the case, and they have to tell us what to do, because we can't figure it out on our own. SO don't call them a dictator, king, of any other name that means they are attempting to do a power grab here. They're literally trying to protect you from yourselves. I'd bet money that not a single one of those people in power, that are issuing these orders, WANT to make those statements.

SO.......stop being such got-dang selfish a-holes. Use some common sense wash your hands often, and wear your masks in public. Not because some politician told you to do it, but because it's the right effing thing to do.
</END RANT>

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Way too many time I've heard from people that "it's OK, I know them" when not wearing a mask in a larger group setting or having people over when it was really bad. Like you said @2kwik4u , it doesn't care who you are, where you live, shop or how ya feel about things.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We take care to use hand sanitizer after touching anything "public" but once we're in a private area (house, boat, truck) its a non issue- the people driving around with rubber gloves and masks on crack me up as they are just spreading whatever they touched at Walmart back into their car!
You are absolutely correct. I don't think they really understand. We take off everything as we start to enter vehicle and use the sanitizer before we touch the interior of the car.

How damn selfish are the people that won't wear a mask in public? Who in the exact hell do you think you are that you expect you can't be held to at least a basic standard of decency to NOT aid in the transmission of this disease, knowingly or not? Do you really feel you're so much more important than anyone else? Is your "right" to not be inconvenienced with a mask because of whatever BS reason you've dreamed up that you can cost someone else their life?
Well said.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
SO don't call them a dictator, king, of any other name that means they are attempting to do a power grab here. They're literally trying to protect you from yourselves. I'd bet money that not a single one of those people in power, that are issuing these orders, WANT to make those statements.
I don't have a problem with our Governor requiring us to wear masks. I think masks an proper social distancing is a very good thing. What I do have a problem with is her crazy non uniform positions on certain business and areas with a political agenda and undertones. That is where the I draw the line and she became a political dictator. "Couldn't buy Paint at Lowes, but it is ok for people to stand in line for liquor, lottery and smokes", it was fine for her to throw a gathering that some of her supporters attended, but I couldn't see my daughter for two months. Everything should have been curtailed. As someone who is smarter than I said.......... "I don't mind being Governed, but I will not be ruled."

AJACHIM

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From someone in the medical field, don’t put too much faith in those surgical masks as they don’t protect for crap. We had people with n95s getting sick . The particle size and time that the virus stays in air would make surgical masks all but useless

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
. Read ahead at your own risk :D

<RANT>

</END RANT>
When you have to make this disclaimer you probably shouldn't type it on a board that tries to bring people together about boating not calling them got-dang selfish a-holes

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When you have to make this disclaimer you probably shouldn't type it on a board that tries to bring people together about boating not calling them got-dang selfish a-holes
Arguably, I should keep it completely to myself, and not share it at all. However, in this particular thread, on this particular board I thought it was an acceptable place to vent without really making anyone too mad. It's pretty clearly not aimed at any single person, but rather at a mindset that seems all to prevalent lately from where I sit.........hence the disclaimers to read ahead at your own risk, and no real guilt from calling anyone names.

Ultimately, you're right, this is a board meant to bring people together over boating. With that said, it's pretty clear we have space in the room for other discussion, vents, rants, tirades, comments, reactions, expressions, responses, and a whole other slew of classifications. I have equally strong opinions on life, finances, religion, politics, and other subjects that I keep to myself because this isn't the place. My rant above is reaching above these personal beliefs, and asking some questions on a grander scale about being a good world citizen, and ultimately condemning those that are, in my view, not doing a real good job at that.

The wording of your reply indicates you took it personally, and not in the intent it was written. Sorry to have hit a nerve.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
As far as the post goes, we are all free to do what we please. As adults, we (should) analyze our actions and decide if it's something worth saying aloud for others to read and interpret how they see fit, or do we keep it to ourselves. We must take all that into account before deciding to either author or read an opinion. I can see why we want to keep the board as non-political as possible, because there are those out there who get genuinely fired up and hold a grudge over such things. The disclaimer beforehand was enough for me to say there was no bad intent, but in reality I'm just a user here no weight to my opinion at all.