• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need advice on amp for budget stereo system upgrade

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hi all,

I am ready to improve my sound system but want to keep it simple and do it myself. I am struggling to get up to speed with self help on wiring this up and thus I am here asking for some advice and ideally a link to a proper wiring diagram for this desired improvement for my 2015 212X:

1) Keep stock Clarion CMD6 head unit and 6x DB651 speakers

2) Add 2x DB651 speakers (or similar) mid cabin (plenty of good examples of placement found on the site)

3) Add 1 or two amps as required to properly power the now 8 speakers. I see a lot of people using the Clarion XC1410 but I don’t know if I can get away with one and double up on each channel with two speakers, or if instead I should use two amps so I have eight channels. If I use two amps, I am not sure how to connect the inputs signal from the HU to the two amps.

4) I’d like to avoid rewiring any of the stock speakers but will do so if needed. I found a thread with a very similar question including questions on speaker wiring but it is inconclusive as to if the two sets of paired speakers in the stock installation are wired parallel or series.

5) I don’t want a system that is so powerful it requires a stand alone battery, but I do have a dual battery set up already so if one gets low I can switch over to make sure we are going to get home. I mention this as some of the higher power 8 channel amps might be too much load for my current battery set up.

We don’t use the stereo off battery for hours on end, maybe 2 hours max without engines running and it won’t be anywhere near full volume in that situation. However, I do want more volume and sound quality while under way so that’s really the point of all of this.

I really appreciate any help and thanks in advance for any inputs.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think for piece of mind I would add the second battery. Also if investing in another pair of speakers and amp why not upgrade the head unit now? New head units with better features are pretty inexpensive.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sounds like you already have dual battery so amps should not be an issue. I have 6 Polk db651 and 2 Polk db691 tower speakers and a baxooka tube sub running off of two pioneer class d car amps.
I chose to run new speaker wire everywhere so the amps could live next to the batteries.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I put this amp in my daughters car driving 2 6" polks, 2 6x9 Rockford Fosgates, and a Cerwin Vega 12" sub and it freakin pounds! Put it in 2014 sometime. Still going strong. image.png

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
All parts ordered to add two mid cabin DB651's and two Clarion XC1410's to drive all eight speakers. Will post up the results. Happy Father's Day to me!

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Parts in!

image.jpeg

Amps and power distribution mounted, used standoffs for the amps to allow cooling flow behind:

image.jpeg

Gotta pull the boat out Sunday for the garage install including mid cabin speakers, can't wait! First up, a day on the lake tomorrow - last with the weak sauce stock system.

Last edited:

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am 99% done with this install and need a little help to get over the finish line. I have only four RCA outputs from the HU (Clarion CMD6) but eight RCA inputs across the two amps. No matter how I connect the RCA's I have only four of eight speakers working.

Do I need to get some Y splitters to connect all of the amp inputs? The manual for the amp is little help and does not cover this installation configuration.

Both amps have power and all speakers have good wiring as confirmed during testing (but always only four speakers working and the other four with a low level hiss.

Any help is much appreciated.

edit - deleted partially finished pic

Attachments

Last edited:

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If your amps don't have RCA signal pass through then splitters would be the next choice.

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If your amps don't have RCA signal pass through then splitters would be the next choice.
Thanks @jawsf16, that's what I did and now it is all done. The systems sounds really good and I am very happy with it.

This project took way longer than planned but mine always do, good thing I don't do this for a living or I'd be fired. One bummer was to find that my dealer installed dual battery wiring used 8 gauge wire! I replaced all of that with 4 gauge to match the lines I ran to the amp board.

image.jpeg

I also took the opportunity to plumb in drain lines for the cockpit cup holders. I can't believe I fit myself into the starboard rear storage but I did, many times over to get more tools, zip ties and clamps!

image.jpeg

My arms are wrecked from squeezing in to the hole behind the helm but it is worth it to have tunes while on plane.