• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Need advice on stick stuck in impeller

DaytonFlyer1068

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Well after three years of boating I finally sucked up a stick. It’s jammed in the impeller pretty bad. We tried several tools tonight and couldn’t dislodge it. I’m going to have to go back tomorrow and put the boat on the trailer (it’s currently in a wet slip).
This might be a dumb question…but we had a small chisel tool that we tried in the clean out port. My buddy accidentally dropped the chisel and believes it fell down the hole at the bottom of the clean out port to the bottom of the lake. Is there a possibility that it could have floated further back toward the engine instead or is there something there to stop it? If it did what should I do? I’m guessing pull the pump? Also any advice on how to get that stick out would be great. Gonna be a long night. I hated leaving it but we ran out of daylight.

Pull the pump to be sure nothing is left in there. Its very easy. Takes no time at all.

Ditto. Pulling the pump is definitely the best solution. The chisel is almost certainly on the bottom of the lake but you’ll know for sure once you pull the pump.

I will pull the pump tomorrow. The chisel was pretty heavy. If it did fall further down toward the engine wouldn’t it slide back toward the impeller on the boat ramp when at an angle? I agree it likely fell to the bottom of the lake.

The way the tunnel is designed I feel it’s almost impossible for it to slide anywhere. But even in the unlikely situation that it slides back towards the impeller, this shouldn’t cause a problem.

If you’re worried, lie underneath the boat when it’s on the trailer and shine a flashlight through the intake grate. Before you pull the pump I mean.

Chisel should have fallen straight through.

I’ve been able to clear out some pretty bad sticks from the bottom on the trailer. Much better access than through the cleanout port.

If I pull the pump will I need silicone when putting it back together? If so, any recommendations on what to buy on my way there?

I put some red grease on the splines of the shaft before placing it back in. I don’t use silicone when securing the pumps back on.. Some use loctite on the bolts though.

First remove the intake grate then cut the stick where it is pinched by the impeller and then rotate the engine and it should come out .

Here’s the video I watched when I first pulled mine. There are others even better, but this will show you how simple it is. You’ll need an extension for your ratchet. Thought I would point that out before you get started. No need for silicone.

Back