• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need advice

fjcast

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hello all!

My first post. I'm glad I have found you . I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 242 ls. A couple of questions. I can go with a 2014 or 15. Both deals are inclusive of:

Galvanized trailer
Freight and setup
Bow and cockpit cover
Coast guard package
2 15 bulb led lights installed
Port o potti
5 year yes

The 2014 is $51k. The 15 is $61k
The only other cost is dmv ($244) and taxes

Now for the questions. Is this s good deal ? There is a big premium for the 2015! I really like the new features on the new boat and it seems like everyone here is if the same opinion

I'm very torn at this point. But will make a decision by tomorrow. Thank you!

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My two cents, if I was choosing and could afford either I would go with the 2015. The new features are a big enough improvement for me to pay up for them.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Can't answer if this is a good deal or not. But if you're okay with either price then I would definitely go for 2015.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
If this is your first jet boat then the 2015 certainly.

fjcast

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This will be my first jet boat. I did own a SeaDoo jet ski a few years back but i'm sure that does not count. thanks for the feedback.
what's the most popular color? I'm leaning toward the Yatch Blue.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This will be my first jet boat. I did own a SeaDoo jet ski a few years back but i'm sure that does not count. thanks for the feedback.
what's the most popular color? I'm leaning toward the Yatch Blue.
Yacht Blue would also be my choice but that color seems to least chosen of the three based on the ones posted on this forum.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
According to Yamaha ........
For 2015, the "prime" color is Suede Gray.
2nd choice is BLACK. A distant third, and has been for many years, was Yacht Blue.
Our 2013 was Yacht Blue and we loved it !
We chose BLACK this time, for the powder coating on the tower and windshield frames. We haveta deal with spider poop on our Lake, and its on a lift.

Regarding which boat you might choose, there is way more than $10K worth of differences between a 2014 and 2015.
And you'll likely recoup that diff. when you trade it in or sell it in several years, as the value of the pre-2015 boats will very likely go down more, because they lack the significant improvements that Yamaha brought to the 2015 24-footers. :winkingthumbsup"

If I can help more, pls PM me. Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:

BlacklimitedS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would also go with the 2015. I feel it is worth the difference. You will enjoy either boat for many years!

fjcast

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you all. You are making my decision easier. does the $61k with the above included sound reasonable?

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

morgro269

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
sounds like a good deal to me. I paid more than that for mine...

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @fjcast. Sounds like the guys have already helped to spend your money ;) Were pretty good about that around here. Make sure you post pics of it when you get the new boat!!!

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think there's a lot of posts already that talk about the benefit of 2015 vs 2014 and previous. Being a 2014 owner, the main benefit that I would look for is the straight line tracking that the 2015 has. Would I pay 10K for just that? ... probably not.

BUT... I have paid:
380$ to get a tower mounted anchor light, comes with the 2015
550$ to get additional insulation to reduce noise (I have extra insulation though - so probably only 300$), comes with the 2015
300$ for fins (averaging what I paid for the 2 sets of 2 that I now have TV XL's), comes with the 2015
etc...

Long story shortened, I have probably spent about 1.5K on upgrades that come stock with the 2015 and you get better straight line tracking. Would I pay 8K for just straight line tracking... still, probably not.

Then there's all the other things: Connext, additional storage compartments (this, I really wish I had), new design for the head compartment (the 2014 head compartment door is kinda ... sucky when compared to 2015), new design for glovebox (I wish mine had a lock and wasn't so difficult to open), etc.

Is 51K or 61K a good price? I think 61K is well aligned with what people are paying for a 2015 this year. 51K, I have no idea... I can tell you that's a good price compared to what it was last year :).

Would I do 2015 over 2014, sure. Would I pay 10K for the difference in features? maybe, probably not though (but of course, my 2014 was not 51K when I purchased it).

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @@fjcast :Welcome:

Buy the 2015 and never look back. This comes from someone who immediately traded in a low-hour 2013 242LS on one.

Yamaha SCREWED up ! - They should have NEVER used the same boat "number" for 2015 - The 242 LS (actually true for ALL of the 2015 24-footers) is NOT "the same boat" as anything prior.

You'll never regret buying the 2015 ! :winkingthumbsup"

Good Luck - If I can do more, please PM me. Mikey Lulejian - Laske Oconee, GA

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a choice between a 2014 and 2015 and went with the 2015. The changes in the 2015 are what sold me.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I had a choice between a 2014 and 2015 and went with the 2015. The changes in the 2015 are what sold me.
@Zeus2013 ..... VERY SMART ! :thumbsup:
Congrats ! And Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am not biased as my boat is now a couple generations in the rear view mirror. I have crawled around but never driven or had a ride on both the 2010-2014 and 2015 242 LS, FYI.

If you can swing the $10K, I would definitely recommend the 2015. Unless money is clearly not an issue for you, consider the complete ongoing costs of owning either the 2014 or 2015.
You are not a new boater, but this is likely a larger boat than you have had before so make sure you include all the ongoing costs you will have to handle:
  • storage
    • driveway, backyard OK with your HOA (if any)/wife/neighbors?
      • If yes, will you build a roof over it? Buy new covers every couple years?
      • If no, what is cost of off-site storage in your area (varies wildly from place to place)
    • some go so far as purchase waterfront property after they buy a boat
  • monthly payments, of course
  • insurance
  • tow vehicle
    • many opinions on this, but reality is these days there are few tow options short of a full-size pickup or ute that can safely & legally tow a 242 LS
    • full size pickups or utes are $$$ (you can spend as much on tow vehicles as on the boat)
  • fuel (no point in having boat if you aren't going to use it)
  • mods! (poke around here, no matter what boat you buy, you may well get the mod bug)
Having said all that, the price points you have negotiated with included extras look quite competitive with what I have seen here.

Add your location to your profile, will give other members insight into your regional options & challenges.

Good luck with your purchase! You will love your new vessel either way. Both are exceptionally good boats.

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I too had the choice between a brand new 2014 242 LS or my current new 2015 AR240. I chose the 2015 boat because if all of its new features, from the articulating keel, an extra 6 inches LOA, nice touches in the interior (hinged seats, factory dual batteries, connext, glove compartment area, etc. Almost all aspects of the new boat have been improved. The biggest being noise reduction. Having come from a Seadoo I was used to noise, These new 2015 24 foot boats have great noise suppression.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had a 2007 SX230, which I loved. When the deck was changed in 2010, I didn't even bat an eye. There was not enough there for me to consider upgrading. However, when the 2015's cam out, I saw value for me and my family to purchase one. The upgrades that were made were sufficient enough for me to jump in (there are much more that everyone is listing). As a matter of fact, my wife kind of forced my hand. She said, "I have to have that!" Also, $61K for new vs. $51K for old is not apples to apples. The dealer (like all boat dealers and car dealers) needs to have an incentive to move older inventory that probably will not move given the new model and closer pricing. So, in this case, the dealer achieved the goal. The incentive is large enough that buyers are making tough decisions. If there was no incentive, that 2014 would be closer in price to the 2015 and all buyers would get 2015's. With that said, you will have to make that decision and live with it. No regrets.

I recently bought a new truck and was looking for a 2014 Silverado because the incentives were great. I couldn't find one so purchased a 2015. Boy am I glad. I know I would have been kicking myself because the 2015 have features that I really like and were not available in 2014. Moreover, the price difference was negligible over 5 years. I realize I am paying that money anyhow over the term, but I am ok with that as I think the difference is worth it. I see the boat situation the same. Will you one day think you should have purchased the 2015 because of the quietness, or the swimdeck storage, or the very functional folding tower, or the improved head compartment, or the improved anchor storage that prevents you from having to deploy the ladder to get at the anchor, or the built in anchor light, or the awesome Polk stereo, or the Connext system, or the upgraded flooring, or the Articulating keel, or the reclining captain and co-captain seats, or the locking glove box, or the hinged seats, or the strapless bimini top, or the ......, or the........ Maybe you will never have any regrets, but worth mentioning.

Just my .02

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have seen people paying $48K for leftover 14' 242's in various threads. I would try and negotiate closer that.

As for the difference, monthly payment wise its not that much difference.

I calculate the 2015 with tax (~64k) to be about $441/month. Total interest paid over the term is $15.5K

I calculate the 2014 with tax (~54k) to be about $369/month. Total interest paid over the term is ~$13K

To some people the $72 per month delta would make a difference. For others it wont...

Good luck whatever you do!