• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need advice

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First, Congrats on the new boat. You will be one happy man in that boat. Second the cover. If your slip is not covered, I highly recommend you NOT get the bow and cockpit cover. How do I know, I have one. Disregard every thing I am about to say if Yamaha has changed the design for this year. The bow and cockpit cover Will allow water to get in your boat. Rain runs down the covered windshield of the cockpit cover, under the bow cover and into the boat. If you are willing to modify it so that there is a velcro fastening overlapping from the cockpit cover to the bow cover, then it could be a great cover. I think @Sheboat has done this to hers and may be able to give you more advise.

fjcast

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I believe it comes with the gem remote. We are running a 220 line

The dealer said the bow and cockpit is a custom installation. Not sure what it would cost but he did say 1200 including the installation. I also got him to thrOw in a wake board rack in the end !!

fjcast

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Boat Crazy that is good to know. I will ask the dealer. I'm getting a cantilever lift, so not sure how practical it will be to use a mooring cover...

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Like @Boat Crazy says - a 2 piece cover will allow water to trickle in - right at the windshield. It drove me crazy in my Crownie. The 1 piece cover was just as simple to put on and take off and didn't let any water in.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a bow and cockpit cover on my previous boat also (Searay). I really liked it and had no problem with it leaking. On it, you installed the bow cover, then fastened the cockpit cover over the windshield, then hooked by velcro an overlapped cover onto the bow cover, then covered the rest of the boat. When my present cover wears out, I will have a custom one made similar to that.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The bow and cockpit cover will allow a small amount of water in at the windshield not matter what you do, BUT it just ends up on the floor, so if you have your lift set right, it will drain to the stern and if there is enough, will get pumped out by the bilge. It never bothered me....but I also go carpetless.

Be sure to add your location to your profile.

I'd go with the 8K lift....you never know if you get 2 foot itis, and for resale of the house it would be a factor too.

Oh yeah....CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! As I say to all the 2015 owners....I'M JEALOUS!!!

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Congrats on your 2015, your decision was a win win either way you went. These are great boats, tons of fun and so easy to maintain. Enjoy!

I agree with the advice to get the larger capacity lift if it's in the budget.

I have used the factory cover for winter storage and it worked fine. On the water I use an el-cheapo cover I ordered off Amazon. We are in a covered slip so the boat cover just keeps dust and spider crap out of the boat.
Definitely keep your boat covered with whatever cover you choose, and keep a coat of wax on the boat year round to preserve that good looking gel coat!

The single most important thing to do with your new boat is to have fun!

fjcast

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did go with 8k lbs lift. I'm hoping to get installed in the next 2 weeks. I'm also going to stick with the bow and cockpit cover with snaps.

fjcast

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I need to order some of the boating "essentials" kit beyond the coat guard package. Do folks like the yamaha fenders?
https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/product/details/yamaha-24-boat-contour-fender?b=Boat&d=13|13
I have on my list dock lines, towing rope, a hook, the flag, anything else I should be thinking about?
Do these provide any help with prevention suction of the rope into impellers?
https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/product/details/ski-rope-floats?b=Boat&d=13|13&dealernumber=
thanks!

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I believe so. The dealer told me I would need that type of cover given that I'm leaving the boat on the lift. My house where the boat will live is on a lagooon.
@fjcast ........... First of all, once again CONGRATS on as great choice.
Regarding your boat cover, I guess no one read that
you are keeping the boat on a lift. I and 2 dealers I spoke to (in advance) who understand this situation, agreed the Yamaha Mooring Cover is a BEAST to put on when a boat is on a vertical lift. Admitedly I also have a boat lift CANOPY covering the boat, so I do not have any problems from rain, etc.

I'ld first like to direct you to a thread on this same subject, we just completed, entitled

"2015 AR240 Premium Deluxe Mooring Cover or Dealship Installed 2-Piece cover with snaps?"
Found here: https://jetboaters.net/threads/2015-ar240-premium-deluxe-mooring-cover-or-dealship-installed-2-piece-cover-with-snaps.5162/#post-89794

Here was my post in that thread and I sincerely hope this helps you:

"Now that we have our new boat, and thanks to y'all, we DID order the bow and cockpit covers,, and snaps installed by our dealer.
And we wanted to report we are THRILLED with these covers operation.
Do please know we keep our boat on a vertical lift which also has a cover.
Just wanted y'all to know these two covers are so easy for Barbie & me to install. They're not for everyone, but for those who also use a lift, we just wanted to know we are very grateful this thread was started, and for the advice we learned here.
Hope this helps someone else.
Hey ! Enjoy a GREAT day today ! Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA"

So,. so good luck. I personally, as does Barbie, think you'll be thrilled with the bow and cockpit covers !

If I can help further, please PM me. Happy to share anything I have learned.
Continued Good Luck your way, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I need to order some of the boating "essentials" kit beyond the coat guard package. Do folks like the yamaha fenders?
https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/product/details/yamaha-24-boat-contour-fender?b=Boat&d=13|13
I have on my list dock lines, towing rope, a hook, the flag, anything else I should be thinking about?
https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/product/details/ski-rope-floats?b=Boat&d=13|13&dealernumber=
thanks!
Congrats on the new boat.

I had a similar set of those fenders and IMHO they dont work too well. I've had much better success with a round "Taylor Made" style. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe mine are 6".
image.jpg
I've also found that towing from the tower helps prevent sucking up ski ropes. But I've never used one of those rope floats.

Anyway. Good luck with all of your new toys ;)

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

thanks!
Dennis .......... @itsdgm, gave you excellent advice. Just Google search what you want to buy.
You'll pay a PREMIUM (normally hefty) for the Yamaha-branded accessories. We showed this in the case of the CIPA® Clamp-on Vision 180 Mirror. It's about 1/2 price Yamaha-dealers' price, ordered directly through Amazon.
In the case of your Fenders, just buy Taylor Made's. Taylor Made makes virtually EVERY quality fender sold in thew U.S anyways.
And in buying on-line, in almost all cases you can get by with nil or little shipping, and if you look hard enough, no state sales tax (unless you are buying from one of the majors, like Cabellas, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, Academy, West Marine, etc.
OR ......... A different approach might be: Fall in love with your dealer, buy EVERY accessory you need thru him and Yamaha-branded, and SMILE as you help put his daughter through some Ivy-League college. LOL> Just kidding (AM I?). LOL
Enjoy, just trying to help, the rain is gone here for 3-4 days and I can like @Ronnie and go to work on all of my new boat "projects" - Otherwise referred to as spending cash. LOL ! Later, y'all - Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA