• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need help, 195 ho impulse

Morph

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
just purchased a new 2015 195 ho impulse. The dealer said the breakin was 7hrs and it only gave you 80% power, forums are saying 10hrs at 60% power. With 4 adults, 2 smaller kids the boat would only go 16-20 mph on smooth lake. Pulling a tube if I turn the boat would almost stop and take forever to reach 16 mph. I tried to ski and it barely pulled me up. Is this normal for the break in period? And what exactly is the break in period? I feel like I spent all this money on a weak boat.

Yea just called the dealer I bought it from, he asked if I had it in shallow water, he thinks I spun a internal piece off that's bypassing the power. I told him it did it the 1st time I put it in the water. Really sucks the closest dealer is them and it's 4hrs away. He's supposed to check on it Monday morning and get back to me. Really annoying dropping 40k + on something that doesn't work

Owch. That sux. Sorry to hear about that. That is lots of money to have issues first time out. Obviously the sea trial would have helped, but hindsight is always 20/20.

I am already a little concerned about the shallow water question. Hope your dealer is straight with you and not going to paint this as your fault. Might want to take a moment and write up everything you can remember about the first voyage and what you did and where you went...

Good luck!

Welcome @Morph and sorry to hear about a rough first day out. I'm not too familiar with the scarabs. But in general I would think you're issue of lack of power would be caused by one of two things. 1. Cavitation is the culprit if you're getting full rpms and no thrust. 2. I would imagine a break in setting would limit the rpms. Do you know what rpms you were getting when you had the issue? That might help diagnose your situation.

Good luck, hopefully you'll have these issues behind you ASAP.

No unfortunately there was no sea trial, my lack of boating experience for ya. I was hitting 7k rpms. Odd thing is I could almost stop, start going again and hit 20-24mph, but other times it wouldn't go over 14-16mph. Yes there's no way it's anything I did, we unloaded down in perdido on the cove side, cruised straight to the dock at our condo. Loaded up about a hour later and full throttle was 12mph with 4 adults and 2 kids. Hopefully they can figure something out, even if the break in period is causing it. Does anyone know the exact break in?

Can a Sea Doo dealer work on these under warranty? I dont see why not and you might find one closer, however if it is the manufactrer screw up wen they installed the drive train, that could be an issue... Just trying to think out of the box to get you something closer.

@Englewoodcowboy Im sure a seadoo dealer could fix the issues, but the problem isnt directly the engine for say. Its the seal between the engine, and the hull of the boat. Thats 100% on Scarab's manufacturing. I hope more people come here, and read through these pages. Maybe then will they see that there is an issue. I posted on their Facebook page for people to sea trial their boats. Maybe you guys should post after. Its embarrassing to me, and I dont even work for them.
https://www.facebook.com/ScarabBoats?fref=ts

I know the importance f a sea trial but I think some of these dealers are treating these like most do with jet skis. I know I shopped countless dealers when I bought my first ski and only one would actually let me test drive it. Now whenI bought my AR192 there was no test drive however I have a local dealer so I was not worried in that respect but where I purchased it from they have a small lake that they test ran the boat on before I picked it up. My new boat I am picking up this week will be ran before I come home with it for sure.

I'd be seething mad at myself (for not water testing it first which I do on every used pwc and jet boat I'm considering buying but I would not expect to have to water test a new boat) and moreover at the manufacturer for letting this kind of flaw make into the final design.

I'm glad the dealer in the referenced instance is being transparent and doing what they can to make it right but scarab needs to make this right immediately on all impacted boats whether they are on the floor or out the door in customers' hands.

I love the design / look of all of the new scarabs but just these bad experiences by first adopters would keep me from buying a new model (which they all currently are). How scarab addresses the problem and when will determine if I'd ever buy a scarab jet boat, new or used.

Remember the video scarab released where the lead designer kept gushing about higher quality and pointing out the use of the scarab name and symbol? Hindsight is 20/20 but clearly the focus should have been different. I really don't understand how scarab could have screwed this up considering they are using engines and pumps that have been around for years. I have never heard of a similar issue with a New or used Seadoo boat. As for testing prior to shipping, figure it out scarab your competition has.

@Ronnie BRP and Seadoo designed these engines together. Their R&D department had full oversight on the build, and Sea Doo/BRP has done a great job in overcoming the reliability issues of the past. The problem is these new manufacturers need to learn from their mistakes before they become as good with their products. I know Scarab listens to their customers. Its evident in the changes that have been made over the two years of production on their boats. But this issue almost points to not knowing your powerplant good enough, or its technology. Its something that has to be addressed by their manufacturing division, and not by its engineers. Thats why its embarrassing. Its a part of quality control that has been overlooked.

If I were Scarab's head marketing person, I would force the dealers to sea trial the boats before delivery, and I would send out a TSB for all existing boats to have this issue checked. This could easily cause someone to be stranded at open sea. Can you imagine someone with this issue in the middle of a Bimini trip? It needs to be addressed.

I'm really glad I found your forum, you guys are super helpful and supportive. These days I'd expect to hear "well dumbass, it's your fault for not test driving, 'which I will agree with that statement' and you are screwed." Lol.

My dealer is seeing if there are any seadoo dealers close to me that can work on the issue, if not he said they will come here to pick the boat up which is pretty cool. Maybe there worried about the 72hr rule to get out of a purchase? Does that apply in Florida? Lol

I don't know if there is a 72 hour rule in FL, but I would certainly check it out. If there is such a rule, you may want to put in writing that you are returning it unless the dealer agrees to extend that period until the issue is worked out. You can call and talk to them and tell them what you are doing, but be sure you put it in writing, whatever you do. Even good dealers have people leave or bosses who step in and then people wind up being screwed.

@Morph sounds like the dealer is stepping up to the plate. That's awesome. Hopefully this will be all fixed up and behind you ASAP so you can get out there and enjoy the boat.

You should make contact with Scarab HQ and get their input also. With your call it shows you are a concerned customer with a lot of knowledge (us) behind you. Make a point to reference the problem with the 165's and the complaints listed on this forum.

I think Scarab will make it right but be firm on a speedy repair and no cost of transport to dealer.

Sounds like you have a good dealer and possibly recourse in the form or a return/ cooling off period (no such luck here in CA). Good luck getting this addressed quickly.

Last edited:
There's no cooling off period in Florida unless you bought at a boat show or anywhere the dealer doesn't normally run business out of.

Back