• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need help navigating

Mbrueseke

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We just got a 2020 AR240. I’m using an app to help with depths on phone for charting. So many options out there for a good chart plotter, how do you pick?

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just use navionics on an iPad if p I need it. It depends. On where you boat and if you want a fishfinder.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
SimRad Go7 is a solid choice, and good size for the 24' boats. If you have a West Marine (or some other marine store) nearby, you can go and play with them all. Kinda like picking a cell phone operating system, all basically do the same thing but have their own nuances.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, it's all about how YOU naturally navigate.

I started out with an old hand-held Garmin that I loved. I found the navigation intuitive.

Then I bought a small Garmin depth/plotter and I'm not happy with the navigation / menu system. We just don't understand each other.

Also take into account size. I went small thinking about conserving space. 8 years later my old eyes are not happy with that small screen.

WestMIJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you want to start with your phone go with the navionics app. I think it is $14 per year and it is great. I used it for a while before buying my Simrad GO7.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Navionics on a Galaxy Tablet, where else can you get a 10” screen with daily updated maps for $120 plus $20 per year?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Navionics on a Galaxy Tablet, where else can you get a 10” screen with daily updated maps for $120 plus $20 per year?
Do you find the sunlight glares on the screen or it's not bright enough?

Landmark

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I recently bought a SimRad 7 and installed it using a Ram mount. I was debating about getting an iPad mini verses the SimRad. What sold me on the SimRad was the big buttons and knob for control. It is very nice when bouncing across the water to not have to pinch to zoom. The only thing that I don’t like is the lag time when zooming. I’m using the Navionics marine and lake SD card. When I zoom in and out it takes a few seconds for the map to catch up. Otherwise- it is perfect. It is the right size for the 24ft boat and my aging eyes.

Attachments

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Do you find the sunlight glares on the screen or it's not bright enough?
Not really, only if the sun DIRECTLY reflects on the screen. I purchased a sun shade hood for the tablet but have never found I absolutely needed it.