• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need Help Starboard engine said Maintenance Due and Now Have Over Revving Too Loud of an engine

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
[USERGROUP=9]@HELP[/USERGROUP]

My 2018 242XE a week ago said Maintenance due starboard engine (100 hours on season I think message said). I figured out how to reset it under Wellness in my Connext after a quick search on here. I did that and figured no big deal as it’s approaching end of the season I will do spark plugs and oil changes on both engines in about a month. Well a week goes by and we use the boat again yesterday and the boat was over revving on a hull shot when you put it full throttle forward. Very loud and when you do a preset rider start for wakeboarding on medium or fast and full throttle forward it was pulsating revving like a motorcycle would sound if you kept pulling the trigger on a bike nuhh nuhhhh nuhhhh nuhhhh like that kind of a sound. Could it just be a spark plug has gone bad? One other thing that happened last week but I didn’t notice the boat running any different the day after it happened though was we were close to a sand bar and we got the front of boat slightly on the sand bar and I revved the engines to just get front off in maybe 1-2 feet of water not a crazy hard rev but just a bump to get front of boat a little more to right. Don’t know if we sucked up anything but pretty sure we didn’t as I have checked clean out ports a few times and nothing in there. The boat is not vibrating or cavitating like when something is stuck in there it’s more like it has too much power and hitting rev limiter and louder than it normally is when you punch it full throttle like a hull shot. Something is wrong but I don’t know what. I’m thinking about doing the oil changes and spark plugs this week and seeing if I get lucky and it’s something simple like that since her starboard engine maintenance due 100 hour engine light came on?

Any other thoughts?

Its cavitating and breaking free then bouncing off the limiter. Haul the boat out and inspect the impeller. Also make sure your cleanout plug is installed properly. Your maintenance issue or warning has nothing to do with the over-reving issue.

I can take some pics of impeller from under boat on lift today and post in here.

Clean out plugs are good I did check those twice

Its cavitating and breaking free then bouncing off the limiter. Haul the boat out and inspect the impeller. Also make sure your cleanout plug is installed properly. Your maintenance issue or warning has nothing to do with the over-reving issue.

What causes it to bounce off rev limiter if something is stuck? To me it seems like if something was sucked in or stuck it would lose power lots of power and not be able to bounce off of the rev limiter like that

Nothing has to be stuck. It could be as little as a nick in the impeller, rough impeller edges, too much gap between impeller and wear ring. Any list of things. When a prop cavitates it breaks free from the water from all the air bubbles that are produced. Its like doing a burnout in your car. Very little resistance is produced and the engine will rev up and bounce off the limiter

I’m guessing if this is my problem these parts are probably back ordered from Yamaha for a year with my luck as I’ve been waiting on a ballast pump for 8 months

I’m guessing if this is my problem these parts are probably back ordered from Yamaha for a year with my luck as I’ve been waiting on a ballast pump for 8 months
Why? Yamaha uses Jabsco ballast puppies like everyone else does IIRC. You can get those from Wakemakers and other sites Wakeboard Ballast Pumps. If it’s under warranty just have your dealer buy them.

Starboard side

Attachments

• EFB59DCC-99AA-4923-AC28-FF66E589FC54.jpeg
    EFB59DCC-99AA-4923-AC28-FF66E589FC54.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
  • 8334E840-75E9-49F9-98A2-E36AB9BB52FA.jpeg
    8334E840-75E9-49F9-98A2-E36AB9BB52FA.jpeg
    882.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 168C3B68-A1A8-4953-AE79-21B1ACDAB034.jpeg
    168C3B68-A1A8-4953-AE79-21B1ACDAB034.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • 7359C1CF-D33E-42BC-BE0A-1D7756651E0D.jpeg
    7359C1CF-D33E-42BC-BE0A-1D7756651E0D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
Port side

Attachments

• 176B3D54-C1BF-45D7-A0EB-B8D87F385D4A.jpeg
    176B3D54-C1BF-45D7-A0EB-B8D87F385D4A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • 03D3D20E-0A8A-4C85-808B-ED41306408EC.jpeg
    03D3D20E-0A8A-4C85-808B-ED41306408EC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 23
Nothing has to be stuck. It could be as little as a nick in the impeller, rough impeller edges, too much gap between impeller and wear ring. Any list of things. When a prop cavitates it breaks free from the water from all the air bubbles that are produced. Its like doing a burnout in your car. Very little resistance is produced and the engine will rev up and bounce off the limiter

Pics added above @Cobra Jet Steering LLC

[USERGROUP=9]@HELP[/USERGROUP]

Could sand have caused this? Is this very bad and requires immediate action or use it for the rest of the season (1-2 more months)

That sandblasted look comes from the cavitation. The air bubbles eat away at your prop. When your giving throttle are you gradually running up the rpms or do you typically just push the control all the way fwd then let the boat increase speed?

That sandblasted look comes from the cavitation. The air bubbles eat away at your prop. When your giving throttle are you gradually running up the rpms or do you typically just push the control all the way fwd then let the boat increase speed?

I normally increase slowly but this problem is happening when I floor it from a standstill like if I’m pulling up a wake border and I have it on automatic setting medium or fast its hitting the rev limiter and making a weird sound like you’re revving up a motorcycle over and over by pulling the handle. If you’re going a normal medium speed like say 20 or 30 and floor it the sound does not happen

yes lol. i cant floor mine either. i have to gradually increase speed otherwise i cavitate and break loose also. its just a fact that the yamaha impellers are terrible for cavitation. you may have a little wear or something going on there after eating some sand making the problem worse. not sure. you would need to check to see if the wear ring to impeller gap is within spec with some feeler gauges. you might also want to look to see if you have any sealant missing in the pumps and intake grates. get some 4200 and go in there and seal everything, every seam.

yes lol. i cant floor mine either. i have to gradually increase speed otherwise i cavitate and break loose also. its just a fact that the yamaha impellers are terrible for cavitation. you may have a little wear or something going on there after eating some sand making the problem worse. not sure. you would need to check to see if the wear ring to impeller gap is within spec with some feeler gauges. you might also want to look to see if you have any sealant missing in the pumps and intake grates. get some 4200 and go in there and seal everything, every seam.

I’ve always been able to pull hard out of the gate though I’ve never had this problem that’s why I feel like it’s something new. Do you think this is not something that is a big concern and I should just not floor it from a stop anymore?

I might try changing my spark plugs it’s probably not the problem but spark plugs have fixed a lot of problems on here from what I have seen @Julian

Last edited:
check the specs on the gap and seal the pump like i said before. once cavitation starts it just progressively gets worse because it eats the prop and wear ring up. you dont want to keep flooring it so you either need to gradually increase speed or correct the issue.

Back