• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need help with anchor

Colin W

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
Looking to buy an anchor for by glastron GT187. Looking for suggestions or info. This is our first boat

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you know what the bottom is like where you normally boat?

I boat in a sandy/mud bottom, I use a medium box anchor and LOVE it, throw it and forget about it, even with a short line and wind it hasn't moved,

Colin W

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
Hard to say, the lake I normally boat at is 50-60 ft, I would assume it’s mud but cant say for sure

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Would you be anchoring on a regular basis in 50-60' of water? Many anchor near beaches, islands and shoreline is why I ask.

Many will recommend 3x - 4x the rope of your average anchoring depth. That's a lot of rope.

Colin W

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
It’s a very weird natural lake that has drop
Offs and stuff, there are private docks and lake houses on most of the shallow spots.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use a small box anchor in deep water with a lot of other boats around and a light 13lb mantis in the shallow waters when I'm chilling. They both work well and set fast.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Unless the bottom is fairly consistent, I'd suggest you consider having a couple of anchors on board. I use the Danforth anchor that came with the boat (7 times out of 10 a worthless piece of crap that doesn't hold) and a small box anchor that I got at the end of last season. In the sandy bottom around here the box anchor is incredibly good. Plus, having/using two anchors can help in tight or windy situations...

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've used the Box Anchor on my Yamaha's and there's only been one time that thing hasn't held (20MPH gusts can do that). I like the fact that it only requires 2:1 scope as that's a lot less rode to carry around.

I'm not sure if you have an anchor locker on your GT, but on my 242, hang the folded box anchor off a piece of rebar and it fits perfect. I basically cut a 24" piece or rebar down to fit the holder and then put some spray-on truck bed liner (found in the spray paint area of Lowe's) and it's held up surprisingly well with no rust.

Another tip I've done on mine is I use a sharpie and at 10' I put a 1" stripe on the rode. At 20' is I did two stripes, 30 - 3. When I got to 60', I repeated with 1 stripe and continued the basic theme up to 130'. I usually anchor in 15-20 feet of water and when I ask someone to give me 40' of line, they know that's about 4-5 stripes. that takes the guess work out of how much line is out.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Marking the rope... Ingenious!!!

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks. I have to re-mark it about every 2 years...

But for the fact that there's never an argument about how much line is out. Totally worth it!

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I agree. Sometimes it is the simplest things that make a big difference. I'll be marking mine now! :winkingthumbsup"

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
and the best part is...the boss won't complain about the "cost" of that Mod. All it takes is a Sharpie!

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
8# Rocna Vulcan for me. I have used it in weedy bottoms, sandy bottoms, & mud bottoms. In every setting it sets instantly with a 2.5-3x scope & I mean it SETS. Fairly certain I wouldn’t be able to drag it at WOT. Expensive but well worth it after I lost my keys off a island beach right near the main shipping channel & was stranded there until police boat took my gf back & forth to shore to get the spare keys.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other than the pain of the heavy weight, I use a coated 20lbs Navy Anchor with 6ft of stainless chain. It's quite compact, and holds really well!!! It's just heavy, but it fits in the anchor compartment, which some others do not. I have had the Navy Anchor drag a bit with very large swells when anchored facing big swells from large tankers in an island facing the ship channel. It reholds right away, so I've been thinking of trying the 17lbs Mantus or 13lbs Rocna. (Have not yet decided) The 20lbs Navy anchor is around $40 or less at Academy if there is one near you. As I said, It's not as popular due to the weight, but I find it a worthy anchor. I have a 20lbs for main, and a 10lbs for the stern, or emergency as needed if I lose the big one.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
OK, quick follow up on the anchor thread. I anchored our 242 in 20mph gusts on Saturday. It slid the first time, but I reset it and held all afternoon. The issue was the rear anchor was allowing swing, and where there is swing there was extra force pulling up the box anchor.

Once properly anchored in the rear to eliminate the swing, the box did it's job very well.

And by the way, my family and friends have renamed the box anchor. It is now referred to as "The Bear Trap" Holy crap is that thing intimidating to pull out of the anchor locker and unfold. It's good we have SeaDek on the anchor locker door, as it sits right there while I unfold it each time. I'm always scared of pinching little fingers in the hinges while doing so.

But it works, period.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's tricky to use a rear anchor with others that are not using one. They will swing and you won't, so they might hit you as they swing when the wind changes.

How big is your box anchor?

Thanks for sharing! Glad it held!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Other than the pain of the heavy weight, I use a coated 20lbs Navy Anchor with 6ft of stainless chain. It's quite compact, and holds really well!!! It's just heavy, but it fits in the anchor compartment, which some others do not. I have had the Navy Anchor drag a bit with very large swells when anchored facing big swells from large tankers in an island facing the ship channel. It reholds right away, so I've been thinking of trying the 17lbs Mantus or 13lbs Rocna. (Have not yet decided) The 20lbs Navy anchor is around $40 or less at Academy if there is one near you. As I said, It's not as popular due to the weight, but I find it a worthy anchor. I have a 20lbs for main, and a 10lbs for the stern, or emergency as needed if I lose the big one.
I second this anchor. Use it for my AR190 and it holds like a champ. Was in the Ohio in 4-5mph current with a stiff downstream breeze this weekend. Tossed it out in ~30ft of water, gave it 36ft of additional line (10 arm lengths) once it hit bottom, tied it off through the bow eye to the forward port cleat, and forgot about it for ~3hrs. I've yet to have it NOT hold for me. It's a bit heavy, but fits in the locker easily, and is super cheap.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It's tricky to use a rear anchor with others that are not using one. They will swing and you won't, so they might hit you as they swing when the wind changes.

How big is your box anchor?

Thanks for sharing! Glad it held!
I'm not sure how they are sized. But I would say it's the 12" x 12" model. Once folded, you have to twist it slightly to get it in the anchor locker, but it fits nicely. Unfolded, it's foot by foot. It doesn't seem like much, but it digs fast and holds. My second is a traditional coated navy anchor as mentioned above. It's a nice safe rear anchor, as if you step on it, you will only stub your toe. Not grab you like a wild bear in the wilderness! Left to chew your leg off..... OK I will stop.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I sense some concern on the ability of your extremities to survive contact with the bear trap, but I might be misreading it.... :)

Sounds like a worthy bow anchor.