• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Need help with yamaha 2013 sx240 oil pressure ?

Brandon neidemire

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello
I got an sbt engine last year with 45 hrs on it. I know a real mistake. I tried to get 2 for my boat but they couldn't get me another good one last year so I built one from yamaha. But the sbt 1.8 ho all of the sudden popped a low oil pressure light . Runs 7400 rpm never misses a beat. Tested the oil pressure switch and it's good. Pulled the pump and there is some scarring on it but not gouging. Looks as if it should pump ok. Took compressed air and pulled pressure switch out and blew through engine. Reinstalled pump new oil filter and it went to 60 psi. As it warmed up it dropped to 21 on idle and 40 on full throttle. SBT IS A JOKE . I'm thinking bad tolerances on bearings. The warmer it gets the lower the oil drops. Anyone have another idea I might be missing ?

Did you ever have that problem on the old engine>

I don't know for sure. When I bought the boat I replaced both engines. One was hammering and the other ran fine but had tons of scarring in the cylinders. Someone didn't take good care of it. I should of just bit the bullet and bought a new one.

I had the local yamaha dealer go through the oil cooler and had a brand new pump on it.

Yep having the same issue with SBT and the MR1 motor, exact same problem. This is the second time I am shipping it back for low oil pressure, I have a 2 year warranty, not that it helps since its at SBT more than on the water. I think you are correct on the tolerances. If this doesn't work, I am going to ask for a refund and I am going to drop two 1.8s in my 2005 AR230

Correct me if I am wrong but, I think the oil pressure is determined by the feed pump part of the oil pump. That is not part of the SBT package.

Correct, but he said he put in a brand new oil pump, as did I. If the bearings are out of tolerance it would cause blow by and the oil pressure would drop

So I took off the pump and it did have some scarring in it( new 45-50 hrs on it) cleaned out and blew air through the oil passage hole that the oil sending switch is screwed into. New oil, started it up, 60 psi. The longer I ran it the lower the oil pressure. I pulled out the oil and replaced it with straight 30 weight. 20 psi at idle. 38-40 full throttle.

Correct me again! I see no bearings in the Oil Pump itself, just a shaft that is driven by the Oil Pump Drive Shaft which is inside the Reduction Gear Box. If the of end that shaft is worn out and not coupling properly with the Oil Pump Shaft, it should be visible when the Oil Pump is removed.

From what I have been able to determine through extensive research is that the hotter the engine gets the looser it is the less the oil pressure. I believe that sbt is polishing cranks or turning them down and not replacing the bearing with oversized. Last year they sent me an engine and it made all kinds of noise. We got permission from SBT to take the head cover off. All the valves we're out of clearance and needed reshimmed. They sent me another head and we installed and the cams were grinding themselves into the head and producing shavings. That's when we sent the engine and a head back and got money back. Not without a fight though! I built a yamaha for that side and called it a day. Wasted whole summer!

So yes no visible bearings. Possibly a bushing in the pump. A gear coming out of the pump that mates with the gear on the end of the crankshaft . That looks good. Possibly the crank has some wobble not mating well to the oil pump gear causing skipping ?

So at this point I am going to cut my losses here. I have no faith that SBT can correct the problem ! I just ordered a new head, block, oil pump , cam tensioner , oil pipe , and full gasket kit. All will be here next week except the damn block . It's backordered till july 23. Anyone who wants to buy the engine with 45-50 hrs on it let me know. I would be willing to also leave the head cover on it and the new owner could send it to sbt for fixing or replacing as it has about another year warranty on it. It currently runs like a top at 7400 rpm.it currently will be in the boat until block comes in if someone can come up with a fix ?

Can you post a picture of the Reduction Gear Box without the Oil Pump attached?

What are we considering as a reduction gear box ? Does the pump just bolt to the back of the block and the gear coming off the pump mate up to the gear on the crankshaft ? Or am I missing something else ?

I just ordered a service manual online I will check that out. I currently have the pump in but wouldn't be opposed to taking it off and getting a pic of the back of the crank and block

Looks like the pump just runs off the crank gear that bolts over the crank ? Correct ? Would it be a possibility that the gear that slips over the crank doesn't have a bolt holding it on ? I would have to remove the pump to double check.

Here is the breakdown

Attachments

• IMG_20210710_150222652.jpg
    IMG_20210710_150222652.jpg
    10.2 MB · Views: 13
@Brandon neidemire Sorry! I'm confusing your oil pump with the MR-1 engine oil pump, I would still try to examine the oil pump once you have the engine removed.

Hey no prob. I will take any interest in helping me out. Thank you

Back