• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Need help

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I am on the water. ..plenty of rpm's but no real top endspeed. Making a big rooster tail and wheel is pulling hard port side.

And yes I have pulled and checked the clean out plugs. And I did the forward hard reverse trick to back wash. Any ideas???

Check the reverse gates (buckets). Are they going up and down? Also check the steering cables for proper operation.

Trying to find a beach so I can get in the water. Reverse gates appear to be working

The steering wheel pulling to port makes it seem like the port side engine/pump isn't delivering proper thrust. I was referencing the reverse gates in case the cable on the port one broke and is stuck in reverse (or stuck half way). If the port steering cable came loose or broke it might give a pull to port also.

I know this sounds stupid but, are both engines running?

Loss of thrust could also mean that you sucked up something in the pump of course. So hopefully you can investigate further when you find a beach. Be careful, if it's cavitating you could overheat the engine. Check the pee holes for proper circulation.

Dennis...u were right I got in the water and the portside bucket os not moving I can force it why my wife works the throttle

Get out a piece of pool noodle and wedge it in there so it stays up out of the way. Then enjoy the rest of the day until you can get it fixed.

Now that I think of it, you'll probably need to disconnect the cable from the bucket to prevent it from wanting to be pushed down next time you go to reverse.

It will be much harder to back up with only one engine, but you could still make do if you're in the middle of a vacation.

BTW I assumed that the cable broke. But it is possible that it just disconnected itself from the throttle controls. You might be able to pull the throttle controls up off the helm and check it there. If it is still attached, then it broke somewhere in line. But maybe you got lucky and the nut just fell off.

Hopefully you get it all sorted out so you can either get it back on the trailer or continue your vacation.

Actually it is still connected because I can move the bucket by hand and make the throttle move with the wifes help. So it must be on the way out or needs some serious grease

Ok. It could still be a broken cable.

You can disconnect the reverse gate easily without any tools and simply leave it in the up position and go on your way until you can fix it. Just make sure to wedge something or use wire ties to keep it in the forward / open position. If you do this, just make sure to not use that engine for manuvering around the docks because it will only go forward thrust regardless of the throttle position.

I'll be away from the computer for a few minutes but call me if you need step by step instructions on how to release that reverse gate without tools. It takes only a second.

Edited to remove phone #

Last edited:
Great job guys..loving this eagerness to assist each other...loading up the likes.

@Zarrella glad that you got it all worked out.

Gee Dennis. 8 whole minutes, what took you so long? Nice one.

Back