• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need hose clamp tool recomendation

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I don't want to add shutoff valves to my water coolant line and prefer to just pinch the hose off when I need to. However, the hose is very stiff and the clamps I had didn't do a good job of pinching it all the way off. I'd like some recommendations for a clamp that will pinch it all the way without damaging the hose. Thanks.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got a pair of small vice grips that look like needle nose pliers. They are about 8 inches long or so.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I use what Noko suggested but pad the jaws with several wraps of duct tape.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hadn't thought of the duct tape. I'll be doing that. Thanks for the info. Since this issue hasn't come up for me yet, I have a hard time remembering which hose to clamp. I think I need to add a diagram of which hose and keep it with the clamps.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Radiator hose clamps work for me.

tdogg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use the needle nose locking pliers but also carry some ~3/8 inch clear heavy duty vinyl tubing to slip over the jaws if/when they are used to pinch off the cooling line. Plus if needed I can use the vinyl tubing for other potential issues/fixes on the water.

Likewise I can use the locking pliers in a pinch to help hold/loosen/fix something on the boat if needed. I like being able to carry less stuff that has dual purpose in my toolkit.

Cheers,
Toby

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's a set of craftsman hose clamp pliers. They're kind of expensive but I know other tool manufactures like harbor freight have cheaper sets.

image.jpg

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I hadn't thought of the duct tape. I'll be doing that. Thanks for the info. Since this issue hasn't come up for me yet, I have a hard time remembering which hose to clamp. I think I need to add a diagram of which hose and keep it with the clamps.
place a red cable tie around he correct hose or shoot it with some paint etc. so you remember the one you need to block off
those look perfect for the job.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@itsdgm - what did you wind up choosing? Need a set. . . .

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Bought what Chris K recommended above. The delivery arrived today and they look perfect for the clamp needed.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I
@itsdgm - what did you wind up choosing? Need a set. . . .
I bought a cheap set from harbor freight. By cheap I mean inexpensive and poorly made ;) they've been in the boat for a few years and never used. It looks like two of the three pairs in the set would work if needed

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just order the ones from amazon above. . . . .I'll let you know how they pan out.