• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need input on new speakers

Tpauley

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm looking for input on new speakers for the inside of my AR210. Brand, size , watts and a speaker that has decent bass. I'm new to all this.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Welcome aboard @Tpauley !

This is a long and often discussed subject. And it is subjective due to so many variables and expectations. A good direct replacement that can be powered if guy so choose, but "just an entry level speaker" is the Polk DB651. It isn't as durable it as capable as some speakers rhat are well over double the price. But to hear the music at cruise audibly, you will need both amplification and a higher end speaker that that model of Polk. They also offer the MM651UM...but for the same money as that speaker, you can get into the best built marine speaker in the business, with audio quality to go with it...the JL MX 650. If your going to go to this level, you definitely want to power them correctly and do so with a quality Class D amp. If you do these things, you wi also be upgrading g your battery bank(s). This can be done to a moderate level with about 700 watts and a subwoofer to remove responsibility of the coaxials carrying to total range load, for about $1500 if you do the work yourself. If you have it done for you, it will cost you in the neighborhood of $2000+. I can't recommend highly enough, the team from Earmark Marine in Plano Texas. Odin now owns both that location and the online division. Your Dallas location gives you direct access to them. I would give him a call and let him direct your sound upgrade! Good luck! Oh, I did the exact upgrade I recimmended on my previous '08 SX230. I now have a '12 SX240 and I did a little more. I did an enclosed sub, 1100W, and 8 coaxials. All JL products.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I will agree with @txav8r on the Polks. For the price you simply can't beat them and add a little power and they really come alive. I have a total of 8 speakers in my 212X and am running 2 Clarion XC 1410 Class D amps. I have the four in the cockpit like your AR210 has and added 2 more right behind the driver and passenger seat. My 212X has 2 Polk DB521 from the factory. I ran the 4 rear speakers on a single amp for the rear channel and the other 4 not the front channel amp. The sound is great! I am debating on adding a sub but not entirely sure it is needed as the DB's being tuned to how I like have a great sound and decent bump on their own.

Tpauley

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you for the information. It's very helpful and I will be looking into the JL MX 650. I already have the amp in place. I needed to upgrade the speakers inside. Again thank you!

Tpauley

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have Polk MM651UMs in my SX210 powered by a class D Rockford Fosgate (600.4 IIRC). The high pass on the amp is set to a hair over 50 hz so as to keep the lowest bass out of the speakers. Frankly, I have been blown away by the sound - both the overall sound quality and the volume. Plenty of power to produce music that can be easily listened to over the noise of the engines at WOT.

Tpauley

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have Polk MM651UMs in my SX210 powered by a class D Rockford Fosgate (600.4 IIRC). The high pass on the amp is set to a hair over 50 hz so as to keep the lowest bass out of the speakers. Frankly, I have been blown away by the sound - both the overall sound quality and the volume. Plenty of power to produce music that can be easily listened to over the noise of the engines at WOT.

Thank you for the information. I went with the Polk MM651UM. I agree, they sound awesome.