• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need long term review of SeaDek vs carpet

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Can some of the people that deleted the carpet in favor of one of the SeaDek type set ups weigh in with some details on how its been

Mark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Would love to hear some long term reviews myself!

MrWizard

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does 2.5 months count as long term?
Quite honestly, I am BEYOND thrilled with the performance and ease of use with SeaDek.
Everything from installation to washing has been a new experience.
Installation was rather simple.
Taking care of it, easier.
I don't miss the carpet all! The compliments I've received on the new look of the interior has made the cost of SeaDek seem like nothing.

I remember pulling the carpet after every outing because it was soaked and I didn't want to put it away wet. Well, no longer. SeaDek is typically dry very shortly after it gets wet.
Washing it has been a breeze. One of my daughters friends got in with muddy shoes once (I wasn't paying attention and it was dark) well the next day I hosed the interior and scrubbed with a deck brush and Simple Green. All dirt came right out.

My advice - do it. You'll not regret your decision.

Hope that helps.

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I agree with the account above from @MrWizard and can also add that the look of SeaDek is a huge improvement over carpet. My boat looks so much better now and I get a lot of compliments on it. I am only half a season in with the full install but the stock swim platform pieces have 1.5 seasons on them and still look great.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I never had carpet. Just the oem stuff on the swim platform and fiberglass decking with snaps for the carpet. I have been using the SeaDeck for 1.5 seasons now with mostly favorable results. Comfort, appearance and easy cleanups are the big pluses. The only minor negative that I experienced was a slight melting issue on the floor section in the bow. This is caused by the curved section of the older boats causing a parabolic effect. Will @JetBoatPilot was quick to remedy the issue with his customary "white glove" customer service. I see you have a 2013 model @Evil Sports so that should not be an issue for you. I would definately buy it again.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
After seeing it in person on the new boats I for sure want to do a complete cockpit area for my 192. It felt really nice on the swim deck compared to the older hydroturf equipped boats.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Only 2 months but it is feet down(see what I did there) the best all around upgrade. You always walk on the floor it's the largest visible area. It's been easy to care, simple to install( I have not done swim deck but will at some point). The cushion while driving and standing is great and nice to walk around on. It can get a little warm but so did the bare floor and carpet. Plus out carpet stank with saltwater boating and a lot of in and out. It was heavy to take out and clean and store. This is just a lifestyle upgrade everyone will love. It says on the paperwork 5-7 year lifespan which is great and I know some members are pushing 3 years on theirs or similar product.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Carpet blows, SeaDek rules!

Actually mine is hydro teak which Will no longer offers. SeaDek is a superior, longer lasting product.

I installed the hydro teak everywhere in the boat during the spring of 2014. It has two and half summers of heavy usage including three Bimini trips which total 25 days in salt water. Most people think it is new flooring. A dock hand was complementing us about it just last week. The glue has held everywhere. There is minimal, less than 1/4", damage from things like where I dropped a cordless screwdriver bit first and the corner of a battery. I am really happy with how it is lasting.

If I were to buy a new boat the family would demand SeaDek and a fridge be installed very quickly. They love the flooring. It feels great on the feet and is great for traction.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I must be the lone outcast on the carpet deal. I have seadek everywhere hydroturf was and its a dramatic improvement looks and functionality wise over the hydroturf. flooring wise I use nothing I have carpet but its still brand new the previous owner never used it either. I have never had a issue with the fiber glass getting hot on the floor and its super easy to clean bare just hose it down and away I go. The Seadek on the interior just seems like something else to collect sand but I guess I could be wrong but usually any raised edges on flat flooring will collect sand around the edges though. I will admit I think my boat would look awesome with it throughout the flooring but just sounds like something else to have to clean and i worry about the being a little hot issue I keep hearing about.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I must be the lone outcast on the carpet deal. I have seadek everywhere hydroturf was and its a dramatic improvement looks and functionality wise over the hydroturf. flooring wise I use nothing I have carpet but its still brand new the previous owner never used it either. I have never had a issue with the fiber glass getting hot on the floor and its super easy to clean bare just hose it down and away I go. The Seadek on the interior just seems like something else to collect sand but I guess I could be wrong but usually any raised edges on flat flooring will collect sand around the edges though. I will admit I think my boat would look awesome with it throughout the flooring but just sounds like something else to have to clean and i worry about the being a little hot issue I keep hearing about.
Nope, SeaDeck gets cleaned exactly the same way as the bare fiberglass. Just spray it with the hose. It's also safer on a wet and pitching deck.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When it is time to clean my hydro teak (lesser SeaDek clone) I simply raise the trailer jack to provide flow to the stern and pressure wash it. Any sand washes out through the scupper.

I have needed to use a brush to remove staining from red clay and vegetation. Hydro teak is open cell foam where SeaDek is closed cell. I understand this is less of or a non existent issue for SeaDek. I solved the issue with a can of scotch guard.

LyonsAR210

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is my first season, but I have an experience that I think helps qualify the ease of care. Last weekend, my boat stayed overnight at an uncovered dock...and I think every person in the cove decided to shoot fireworks directly over my boat! There was fireworks crap everywhere, and the orange type stuff found in artillery shells! I thought for sure it was stained forever...a quick cleaning and a scrub brush and everything came out good as new! Really happy with the SeaDeck.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2 Seasons in and love it every time I step onto the boat. . . . . . Hands down the best mod I have done.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Carpet and the carpet snaps sure get hot from time to time. Is Seadek the same way if the boat sits in the sun all day and you jump in?

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Carpet and the carpet snaps sure get hot from time to time. Is Seadek the same way if the boat sits in the sun all day and you jump in?
No snaps to get hot, and the SeaDek can get warm in direct sunlight. . . . Which is easily solved with just a bit of water.

However, unlike carpet there is nothing to remove and dry out afterwards.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Love my Sea Dek!

Moving the heavy, bulky and stinky carpet is a thing of the past. Just hose and go. No fuss, no stink. You'll need to practice the no shoes rule so you don't track dirt onto the sea Dek. It will clean off but generally the color is lighter than the color of dirt so shoe prints will stand out.

MrWizard

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Moving the heavy, bulky and stinky carpet is a thing of the past.
Ahhhhhhh yes! I forgot about the stink! So nice not having to smell that raunchy odor when pulling it from the boat.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

morgro269

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't have a long term review of the Seadek in my entire boat but have it on the swim platform for 60hrs and have zero complaints. It looks great and cleans easy. 20hrs ago, I added it to the entire boat. Couldn't be happier. Huge improvement over the carpet. Other than the occasional spray down, it is zero maintenance. Tons of compliments as well. It really makes the boat look much better. I don't live far from you. Feel free to check it out anytime you like.

That being said, I have a carpet set in good condition for a 2015 242LS that I am willing to give away to whoever wants it as long as they cover the cost of shipping.