• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need long term review of SeaDek vs carpet

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The SeaDek currently in my boat has been installed since June 2011. It is still in good shape. You can tell that it has been worn down in the main areas when comparing to lesser used areas like at the front of the bow under the little seats. There are also a few spots where you can see something has been dropped and left a little mark. I have the mocha/black teak and it can get hot when sitting in the direct sun, but it's not as hot as the seats.

Overall, I am very impressed with the condition after 5 years. I also clean mine with a medium deck brush and a very small amount of boat wash after each outing. I bought a complete set through the group buy last year with the intent to replace it this season, but I thought I could get one more year out of the current set. There are a couple different products out there now that are similar to SeaDek. I haven't seen any others up close, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are just as easy to live with.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Keep your carpet in case you need to have service. Then throw it over your seadek before you take your boat in.

I actually prefer the bare fiberglass floor but then again I've never set foot on seadek.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Keep your carpet in case you need to have service. Then throw it over your seadek before you take your boat in.

I actually prefer the bare fiberglass floor but then again I've never set foot on seadek.
Once you Dek, you never go back. . . .

bthessel

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I was already considering this, after reading reviews when is the next group buy?

LyonsAR210

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@bthessel the group buy is usually towards the end of the season, around September I think. @JetBoatPilot will have more information and it will be on the front page of the forum page. From the people who have shown interest on here and Facebook, it sure looks like the threshold for a 30% discount is a good possibility!

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have been considering adding it to my cockpit. The platform has been excellent for the last couple of seasons. Plus the cockpit will be way easier to install.

SoFla David

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How about 7 years?

I believe I was the second person to install seadek on a Yamaha when they first started making the kits (the first was another member here in Miami who's boat they used to make the template)

After 7 years of use in Florida sun and saltwater, it still looks brand new except for three minor blemishes:

1) the area in the bow between the seats has lost its texture. This was apparently an issue with the first kits. It was supposedly caused by the Suns reflection off the curved seat platforms that somehow acted like a magnifying glass and slowly melted the material. Doesn't look bad and hasn't come apart, but if you look closely, you can definitely tell the texture is gone in that little area.

2) there is a "blister" just in front of the ski locker where apparently the adhesive has come loose from the floor. It is still firmly attached all the way around it, but there is a noticeable blister about size of a coffee can in the middle. Not sure if it is related to the sun damage mentioned above, or if there was a spot on the floor that wasn't clean when I installed it and the adhesive didn't stick like it should have. Everywhere else on the boat, the adhesive is still good. No peeling edges or anything like that.

3) the swim deck has a couple of small tears from climbing in and out with shoes, and from loading and unloading gear through the swim deck. This is normal,wear and tear and I don't blame the seadek in any way. On the contrary, it has held up much better than I expected.

I have the slate grey color in the cockpit and bow and the teak in the swim platform. You can see the teak in my profile pic.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How would you guys compare the heat to the bare OEM fiberglass floor? (I would be purchasing the mocha color)

As I boat in the far south that's my only real hold back on this mod. We have it on our swim deck but it's constantly wet and hence not a true comparison. Thanks!

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Bennie Im in South Florida and mine is Gray and it does get hot. Once a little water is on though it is okay. Even outlet floor would get hot but can't compare to the bare floor for the summer months though.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Bennie I have the mocha color on mine. If it's sitting in the direct sun, it'll get hot. Not asphalt hot, or as hot as the seats can get, but hotter than is comfortable to stand on. However, once it gets a little water on it, it is very comfortable.

I don't have any bare fiberglass spots to compare to, but I feel that it would be a little hotter than the bare glass.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Everyone seems to be mentioning the heat on it. The carpet doesn't seem to get hot. Perhaps because it breathes?
The snaps do though!
Is it due to the color you are choosing or more from it not being able to breathe through the product?

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@2nazt @Bill D - thank you guys. I think I'll keep with my bare floor for now.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Everyone seems to be mentioning the heat on it. The carpet doesn't seem to get hot. Perhaps because it breathes?
The snaps do though!
Is it due to the color you are choosing or more from it not being able to breathe through the product?
I have the light grey faux teak. . . .and it can get uncomfortably warm (not hot) after sitting in direct sunlight for a while. As I said earlier though, easily remedied with minimal spritz of water or wet feet.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Maybe our feet get used to it down here..... it gets warm but not so much that you can walk on it.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This question gets asked a lot, and I wasn't really satisfied with my "hot but not too hot..." answer. I remembered I ordered samples of a bunch of different colors from SeaDek a log time ago, so I figured I would get a little more scientific.

I laid all the samples in the driveway in direct sunlight for three hours.
image.jpeg

The details... It's 91* with a "feels like" of 97*.
Concrete - 122*
Asphalt - 140*

White fiberglass - 102*
Mocha Teak - 142*
Storm Gray Teak - 143*
White - 107*
Black - 149*
Snow Camo - 124*
Aqua Camo - 127*
Bimini Blue - 130*
Storm Gray - 141*
Cool Gray - 123*
Caribbean - 109*
Bahama Blue -123*

Edit: All measurements were taken with el cheapo IR thermometer purchased from Amazon, so please allow for margin of error.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bill D thank you, great write up! Very informative.

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I installed it this year. 100x better than the carpet for maintenance, although it does require a bit of elbow grease to clean. I'm still in the babying phase, and I feel that it is less durable than I had hoped. Ie: I already see a scratch (maybe from a moving bag or something?), there is a small nick (toenail, or something dropped?), and the anti-pooling poles WILL leave dents (although mine came up after I realized this).

The look and feel is incredible though. This should be a factory option.

A few questions for other owners:
1) When you clean with Simple Green, are you using it full strength? Are you rinsing it out after?
2) How do you fix scuffs or tears? A dab of super glue maybe? I have a very small (about 1/8" nick where a the piece is still attached).

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm in for the next group buy I believe. I didn't take my carpet out of the bag when I bought my new boat and I use the bare fiberglass with snaps exposed (for now).

I'll gladly put up with the heat of the SeaDek than the pain of a snap! OUCH is all I can say! Snaps leave a nice round bruise on your knee as I found out yesterday :D