• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

NEITHER ENGINE WILL START

blasswell

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I HAVE A 2006 YAMAHA AR230 HO. BOTH ENGINES CRANK BUT NEITHER WILL START. BOTH BATTERIES ARE BRAND NEW. I EMPTIED ALL 50 GALLONS OF FUEL FROM THE TANK AS IT HAD BEEN SITTING FOR TWO YEARS. I HAVE INSTALLED ONE NEW FUEL PUMP AND VERIFIED THAT BOTH PUMPS ARE FUNCTIONAL. I FOUND THAT I AM NOT GETTING A GROUND SIGNAL FROM THE ECM TO MY COILS(HAVENT CHECKED INJECTORS AS THEY LOOK A LITTLE HARDER TO ACCESS. ) IT SEEMS TO ME LIKE THERES GOTTA BE SOME SORT OF SWITCH THAT BOTH OF THE ENGINES SHARE AND THE ECM IS SEEING SOMETHING IT DOESNT LIKE. ANY HELP WOULD BR GREATLY APPRECIATED. ALSO, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GET FACTORY WIRING DIAGRAMS WITHOUT PAYING AN ARM AND A LEG?

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Check that the throttles are in neutral, the cut off switches in the clean out ports, or the kill switch lanyard near the throttles. I know that sounds simplistic, but sometimes it is.

blasswell

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ZIPPYBOATER, THANKS FOR THE QUICK REPLY. THROTTLES ARE IN NEUTRAL(I MOVED THEM AND NEITHER ENGINE WOULD CRANK AT THAT POINT.) I HAVE NOT CHECKED THE CLEANOUT SWITCH(ES). I REMOVED THE KILL SWITCH FIGURING IT WOULD BE A TWO WIRE SETUP BUT FOUND A FOUR WIRE CONNECTION SO I DONT KNOW WHICH WIRES TO JUMP FOR TESTING PURPOSES.

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
ZIPPYBOATER, THANKS FOR THE QUICK REPLY. THROTTLES ARE IN NEUTRAL(I MOVED THEM AND NEITHER ENGINE WOULD CRANK AT THAT POINT.) I HAVE NOT CHECKED THE CLEANOUT SWITCH(ES). I REMOVED THE KILL SWITCH FIGURING IT WOULD BE A TWO WIRE SETUP BUT FOUND A FOUR WIRE CONNECTION SO I DONT KNOW WHICH WIRES TO JUMP FOR TESTING PURPOSES.
Sometimes you have to move the throttles while cranking. My 2009 SX210 port engine gives me trouble even when I know it is in neutral. I still have to wiggle and play with the throttles to get the Neutral Safety switch released.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Disconnect the lanyard switch as first step. It opens the connection when lanyard is correctly placed and it's working, so disconnecting it forces it on the position that keeps the ECU thinking the landyard is connected correctly.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Or, stated another way..
Leave the kill switch removed and it's already jumped to start. It will bridge the wires when the lanyard is NOT on, so by default, the wires are in the "keep the engine running " position when the switch is disconnected.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How long have you owned the boat?
Was it running without problem before the two year rest ?
Where are you at?
Fresh or salt water?
Did you store it for 2 years with a full tank?
Do you own a YDS unit?

I agree with the others, kill switch is going to be the most common issue, it allows you to crank but prevents fire, your throttles and cleanout hatch normally will not let it even crank,

blasswell

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have owned the boat for 4 years. It was running fine before it sat. I did leave it sitting full of fuel(I put stabilizer in the tank). I am located in Texas, only a freshwater boat. Im going to disconnect the kill switch tonight and will post my results in the morning. Thanks for the advice, guys.