• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New “25 Foot Yamahas” Missed the mark by a Mile

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So now don't I feel like a putz!!!! I had a deposit down for a 2021 242S - have been looking for years. When I heard the "rumors" of a change from the 242 to a 25, I was really upset, and thinking I may just drop down to the 212S (especially since they came out as early release boats). Anyway, after going back and forth, I took the plunge on the 252S, now the rants just crapped all over my choice! LOL...anyway, I'm really excited and can't wait to pick it up. Regarding the rants...I really have to agree about the triangular storage/serving unit...wtf!
You got an awesome boat & Yamaha will sell every single one of them so don’t be concerned about it.

Bdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I love this thread plus after spending all that money I bet you get equal amount of fiberglass and metal shavings dropping out the drain plugs! I doubt Yamaha bothers to take extra care with this new boat as far as QC goes.

ShesCrafty

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That 252XD looks like a floating turd to me... but, I will be 50 years old soon enough. I assume Yamaha has some degree of competence in profiling their customer base... and if the half generation behind me can better afford a $90K jet boat in their 30’s and 40’s, that is a good thing.

I moved into a 2020 242SE in May... still feels like a very good choice for my family, with my two oldest graduating from college and my two youngest still in middle school.

Keeping my eye on that R-31 Ranger Tug as my next move, hopefully five years out... puttering around some coastal water, somewhere.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Lol i love ranger tugs. Already made up my mind thats my next boat in about 5 years. Someone local guy here pulled up in the 23 which was more like 26-27. Still though for the size of it its amazing how much room they have and what they have in them.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
O man just watched the video of ar250 and just realized the 2 big wet compartments in stern I keep my tubes in are gone now. I think I would miss those.

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
May sound petty considering everything else, but does the SX250 NOT come with a bimini top? 🤔
Talked about this in another post. They do come with the bimini top. Another member found where it said it was included.

Ian S

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Sooo agree with the speed issue. My 210 FSH is sooo slow. I don't need to break any speed records but anything under 40 mph on the water is like riding a scooter though rush hour traffic. I struggle to hit 35 mph with 4 ppl on board---SUX!!! Every grandpa in a Bayliner can blow by me in this bucket. Very disappointed. why didn't I water test this thing! Boat test said 44mph huh? This thing never went over 40 downwind downstream down a waterfall etc.. disappointing!!!! How I wish for just 45 mph! That 5mph makes all the difference on the water.
That is this the ONLY reason I haven't popped on the 210 FSH. Your are not alone in your frustration! The layout and versatility of the 210 FSH is fantastic but the lack of speed/torque is a real miss, especially as there are zero quality upgrades out there to increase MPH/hp unless anyone else can offer insight..... Need to see the 2021 in person and I am looking forward to it. Still even going slow.... being on the water is what its all about.

agannole93

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That is this the ONLY reason I haven't popped on the 210 FSH. Your are not alone in your frustration! The layout and versatility of the 210 FSH is fantastic but the lack of speed/torque is a real miss, especially as there are zero quality upgrades out there to increase MPH/hp unless anyone else can offer insight..... Need to see the 2021 in person and I am looking forward to it. Still even going slow.... being on the water is what its all about.
I am looking forward to seeing the 255 FSH. I was never really interested in the 210 line, it's versatile but doesn't have a lot of the creature comforts at least in my opinion. The 2021's have changed that in a BIG way from what I can see. Plus the double in fuel capacity is huge. I won't be spending $80k on it now, but if some used ones hit the market in 5 years it will be the first thing I look for. Good for enjoying time on the lake, better for some off shore in the gulf and bimini runs.

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As the originator of this post and have had time to “Cool Down” I do not mean to rain on anybodys parade that just put money down on a new 250/255,especially if it’s your first boat or first a Yamaha. You will love it and be very satisfied. Is it a better boat than our current 24’ s, Im sure it is all around better/improved, just not enough for me to purchase one over my current boat.
The frustration is for us ( me) that have been waiting for 5,6,7 years for a total new redesign so we could sell ours, trade in whatever for the new model. Was expecting more, different fixes to all the annoying things. I could even be interested in new 24 ft that was big leap in design. Just didn’t happen for me.
As for several comments about the colors, graphics on the current 242 X , I absolutely agree, love the Blue and Red themes where interior has color matching to the exterior. Maybe at my age I should like the more subdued colors, but that will be when I’m 80.
Scarab has cool graphics, interior colors even the overall boat design is decent, love the new 285 ( over 100 G Gulp) but, and I say this with out fact, just what I read, quality and the Rotax motors scare me. Did hear the new 300 Ace motors are awesome.

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I didn’t really like the colors of the AR250 at first but now the blue AR250 is growing on me.

Sealegs89

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sooo agree with the speed issue. My 210 FSH is sooo slow. I don't need to break any speed records but anything under 40 mph on the water is like riding a scooter though rush hour traffic. I struggle to hit 35 mph with 4 ppl on board---SUX!!! Every grandpa in a Bayliner can blow by me in this bucket. Very disappointed. why didn't I water test this thing! Boat test said 44mph huh? This thing never went over 40 downwind downstream down a waterfall etc.. disappointing!!!! How I wish for just 45 mph! That 5mph makes all the difference on the water.
They do need to work on hitting that gold standard of 50 mph for all models

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
As the originator of this post and have had time to “Cool Down” I do not mean to rain on anybodys parade that just put money down on a new 250/255,especially if it’s your first boat or first a Yamaha. You will love it and be very satisfied. Is it a better boat than our current 24’ s, Im sure it is all around better/improved, just not enough for me to purchase one over my current boat.
The frustration is for us ( me) that have been waiting for 5,6,7 years for a total new redesign so we could sell ours, trade in whatever for the new model. Was expecting more, different fixes to all the annoying things. I could even be interested in new 24 ft that was big leap in design. Just didn’t happen for me.
As for several comments about the colors, graphics on the current 242 X , I absolutely agree, love the Blue and Red themes where interior has color matching to the exterior. Maybe at my age I should like the more subdued colors, but that will be when I’m 80.
Scarab has cool graphics, interior colors even the overall boat design is decent, love the new 285 ( over 100 G Gulp) but, and I say this with out fact, just what I read, quality and the Rotax motors scare me. Did hear the new 300 Ace motors are awesome.
Scarab’s come with a 3 year warranty on the engines.

I agree with most of what you said, including the side-door head access??? And No pump-out head option (which every other boat in the 24-25 range has)......

The biggest disappointment is it is not a true 25fter, but bigger than that is the pricing....WOW

AND COME ON, EVERY WAKE SERIES BOAT SHOULD HAVE THE BUILT-IN WAKEBOOSTER.......not just the w priced $90k++ Come on........

Lawman25

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hahahahahaha........he said thing won't even get above 40 going down a waterfall 😆

Jay19dbfl

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I agree with most of the rant... seems to me they missed it with the 2021’s (25 footers)... especially that contraption behind the captains chair.... now THAT person should be fired..... hahahaha... (Not literally, cuz I don’t wish the firing of anyone).
Seemed like the change from the 24’s to the 25’s was massive!.... I really liked the looks of the 242X.. beautiful boat!!!! kinda wish they would have kept it mostly the same as the 24, but a little bigger.. 24.5’ to be exact... LoL!....
But if I’m gonna plunk down $100K, I want something I ‘REALLY’ like!... kinda of a bummer, cuz I’m a LOYAL Yamaha guy!.... still trying to like the 255XD or XE.... Must admit though, starting to stray and look at the Scarab... that 255 looks pretty nice... with the twin 300’s... and maybe their new 2021’s might even be nicer?... still trying to gather some info on the Scarabs.... not too sure about the Rotax motors, and not having clean out ports is a bummer!... (why don’t they have them, does Yamaha have some sort of patent?)
Okay.... my mini rant over.... hahaha
I agree with most of the rant... seems to me they missed it with the 2021’s (25 footers)... especially that contraption behind the captains chair.... now THAT person should be fired..... hahahaha... (Not literally, cuz I don’t wish the firing of anyone).
Seemed like the change from the 24’s to the 25’s was massive!.... I really liked the looks of the 242X.. beautiful boat!!!! kinda wish they would have kept it mostly the same as the 24, but a little bigger.. 24.5’ to be exact... LoL!....
But if I’m gonna plunk down $100K, I want something I ‘REALLY’ like!... kinda of a bummer, cuz I’m a LOYAL Yamaha guy!.... still trying to like the 255XD or XE.... Must admit though, starting to stray and look at the Scarab... that 255 looks pretty nice... with the twin 300’s... and maybe their new 2021’s might even be nicer?... still trying to gather some info on the Scarabs.... not too sure about the Rotax motors, and not having clean out ports is a bummer!... (why don’t they have them, does Yamaha have some sort of patent?)
Okay.... my mini rant over.... hahaha
My brother has a 255 open ID with the 600hp. We have hit 62 mph with 90% fuel and 4 adults and 1 child with light gear. The boat feels huge inside because of no wasted space and a tail gate. The rotax are closed loop cooling so if you operate in saltwater it’s a big plus. I personally think the scarabs are lacking on the quality control though. Maybe it has gotten better but we have a 2019

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I was really excited about the 250, super excited they kept the curved window. A couple things that I don’t like and at the end of the day maybe a deal breaker for me. The tower bottom looks awful with the edge just hanging out. Who’s idea was it for window sides not being complete? My final and my biggest hurdle is the height on the trailer with the tower folded 111’. That basically means you need a pole barn to store this thing, don’t get me wrong I love the deeper hull. Also not a huge fan how the AR250 lost the stainless rubrail and the Sea Deck on the back deck. The Sea Deck is minor as this can be changed but not the rubrail.

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I priced a Vortex 2430 VR with VIRTUALLY every option including the ASP (Their wakesurf system), pump-out head, 600HP and it came in at $79k (NAP pricing), So about the same as the 252XE, which cant get a pump-out head and only 360hp, AND you still need to buy a Wakebooster...

The 600hp VRX with every option is around $90k, still cheaper than the 255XD, with 100hp more and a pump-out head.

I’ll reserve judgement until the boat show/seeing them in person but the yamaha value $$ difference has now disappeared......

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
still trying to gather some info on the Scarabs.... not too sure about the Rotax motors, and not having clean out ports is a bummer!... (why don’t they have them, does Yamaha have some sort of patent?)
Yes. Yamaha has a patent on the clean out ports.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just checked out the website and looked at the 25 flagship design boat. I hate to say it, but I kind of like the interior. Seems like they are trying to project a luxury car look for the interior. That being said, I think what appealed to the early Yamaha buyers was the price point and the unique lounge area at the stern. Now many boat manufacturers are copying and improving on that design. If it were me, I'd probably not buy another Yamaha because of this reason. Yamaha price points have steadily increased and the competition has equaled their design. Combined with the engine noise of slow speed cruising, I just wouldn't drop this kind of money on it.

Rowdie

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’d love to have an opinion but none of the dealers around here have gotten one in that wasn’t already sold. So no walk through just yet.