• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New 165 with 10 hours!

greenwood

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I looked at all the posts regarding the 10 hour maintenance check and would like some help.

My new 165 has 10 hours today so do I need to take it back to the dealer fro the oil and filter change?
Or do I wait until 25 hours which is my preference since my dealer is 150 miles away.

Thanks all.

Master

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I decided to take mine in, just in case I have to do warranty work.

Last edited:

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
My 195 HOI went back at 10 hours for oil change as directed by Scarab.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The 10 hour service is a warranty check. The first oil change is at 25 hours. Great looking boat!

Welcome to the community!

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I have a chaparral but same engines. When I called my dealer saying I was going to bring mine in for its 10-12 hour check, they said they were recently told that the early check was no longer needed and to wait for the 25 hour check. Call your dealer and mention this and see what the say.

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hhhmmm? Interesting.......

Scarabski

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My 165 is at the the dealer right now for it's 10 hour. They are changing the oil and checking everything over.

Bry-n-Jess-165/HOI

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I will call Scarab directly to get info on when I should bring it in for check-up, I would like to at 25hrs along with the oil/filter/plugs. Of course the dealer would take our money to change it at 10hrs. I put 10hrs on it the 1st wknd I purchased it.

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Page 35, Operators Manual ROTAX 4-TEC 150/250 (ECT) Break-In Inspection (July 01/2013) at 10 hours.. Replace Engine oil and Filter..

Chris Simpson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I was told by my dealer (in the UK) that Scarab no longer required the 10 hour check to be done and the first service is now 25 hours. Incidentally, as well as selling Scarab boats , the dealer is also an agent for Seadoo jet skis of which they sell large numbers. They should therefore know what they are talking about when it comes to Rotax engines.

Last edited:

greenwood

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks all.
I spoke with the dealer and we are bringing it in around the 25 hour mark.
They said they can reset the maintenance light even if it has not come on if it has less than 25 hours.

Bry-n-Jess-165/HOI

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks all.
I spoke with the dealer and we are bringing it in around the 25 hour mark.
They said they can reset the maintenance light even if it has not come on if it has less than 25 hours.
My dealer is very vague on what to do. It would be nice if Scarab would Let us know if what the dealers are telling us owners on this forum " that 25hr is good to come in for check-up and oil/filter/plugs" will hold up if there are any warranty issues in the future. For some of us that have to travel a distance to their closest dealer, It seems shady that there is total confusion and disarray with communication from Manufacturer to Dealer to buyer with the new line of Scarab jet boats.
Has anyone have a contact at Scarab manufacturing that could give us a solid bit of reliable warranty information on this subject ?

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Would like to know also. At 8 hours on mine and would like to wait until end of season to bring it in. Hate to waste time with boat at dealer if not required.

Master

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Dealership had my boat for two weeks waiting on Scarab to get back to them whether to change the oil in 10 hours. I just went ahead told them to change it anyway so I could get back to boating. I plan to do the rest of the maintenance myself after that.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'd listen to the manufacturer over a dealer unless I had specific experience with the dealer which would lead me to trust it more.Just curious, what does the dealer charge for the 10 hour service and what is included?

A lot of Yamaha owners have decided to go the DYI route instead of spend the time and money for the dealer to do it, especially when the dealer is not close and backed up during the boating season. In my case it would take at least an hour to drive to the dealer and another to get back, multiply that by two to cover the drop and pick and I'm in over four hours on an oil change I could do in about an hour. This does not account for the time it takes to hook the trailer up or store the boat. The fact that my dealer charges close to $800 for the 10 hour service/lube, oil and filter makes the decision that much easier.

greenwood

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My dealer in North Carolina (150 miles away) stated $250.00 to change oil, filter, and plugs at appx 25 hours.
How do you remove the oil and change the filter on the 165? Do you need some type of pump to extract the oil?

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Guys, you can do this service yourself for about $70 plus the cost of the pump.
Pump
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OCEGONC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

Oil and filter. ( you don't need to change the plugs, just check them).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sea-Doo-4-TEC-XPS-Rotax-Engine-Oil-Change-Kit-With-Spark-Plugs-Filter-Seadoo-/361074515400?hash=item5411b7ddc8&vxp=mtr

Its a dry sump system, so.

Run the engine till up to temperature.
Check oil level.
Stick pump syphon tube through oil fill
Pump out as much oil as you can. (Do not restart engine without oil. It will trigger a check engine light)
Measure the amount of oil that has been extracted.
Remove oil filter cover.
Remove oil filter cartridge and gaskets
Install new gaskets, and filter cartridge. Make sure you wet the gaskets with a thin layer of oil.
Install filter cover
Fill the engine with the exact amount you pumped out. (Do not overfill)
Start engine, and let run to temperature.
Check oil levels.
Done.

Last edited:

greenwood

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks ScarabMike. All the info you supply is greatly appreciated and saves us $$!!!

Bry-n-Jess-165/HOI

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Having a blast, getting tons of compliments, Hit 25 hours this wknd. Bringing her in for oil/filter/warranty check to dockside marine in Willmington Il, hour and a 1/2 away from Chicago . Service manager Jeff said it is not mandatory to change plugs but he will check them, any thoughts on this????

I have been running 92octane since 1st tank, i ran scary low out on the lake and had to put 5gallons of 89 octane, 10 seconds after I started the engine the engine light came on. I cruised to home port (7miles)and put 15gallons of 92 octane in it and 10 minutes of running the engine light turned off. Service guy said when he check ecu it will tell him why the engine light was on, I have to think the lower octane had triggered some sensor, any thoughts on this????

Service manager also stated "250hp supercharged requires synthetic blend oil NOT 100% synthetic", he said 100% synthetic is just to slippery for the engine and brp doesn't recommend it, I know there is a posting on this forum dedicated to the topic of what type of oil to use.
Any thoughts on this????

Any and all replys are appreciated for we are all learning tons on our Scarab jets from this forum.

Last edited:

l8asusl4192

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Guys, you can do this service yourself for about $70 plus the cost of the pump.
Pump
Amazon.com: Powerbuilt (647570 Oil/Fluid Extractor - 6.3 Quart Capacity: Automotive

Oil and filter. ( you don't need to change the plugs, just check them).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sea-Doo-4-TEC-XPS-Rotax-Engine-Oil-Change-Kit-With-Spark-Plugs-Filter-Seadoo-/361074515400?hash=item5411b7ddc8&vxp=mtr

Its a dry sump system, so.

Run the engine till up to temperature.
Check oil level.
Stick pump syphon tube through oil fill
Pump out as much oil as you can. (Do not restart engine without oil. It will trigger a check engine light)
Measure the amount of oil that has been extracted.
Remove oil filter cover.
Remove oil filter cartridge and gaskets
Install new gaskets, and filter cartridge. Make sure you wet the gaskets with a thin layer of oil.
Install filter cover
Fill the engine with the exact amount you pumped out. (Do not overfill)
Start engine, and let run to temperature.
Check oil levels.
Done.
So you dont have to have a hose hooked up to this? I thought you couldnt run this motor without hooking up the hose. Sorry, new to boating.