• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New 2018 165 ID issues , need some help and info. Thanks

Rearwheeln

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Hi , new member here . I just bought a leftover 2018 165 ID and put about 5 hours on it over the weekend and might I add it was a blast to drive ! .... my two issues where a irregular idle , I could be at lowest throttle position and it would throttle itself up to 2500 rpm and not go back down and would do this at any given time when in 5 mph zone or docking lol ... the other concern I had is what appears to be a missing bolt and donut washer of some sort on the heat exchanger ride plate. Other than that my 2 boys and myself love this thing . Glad to be aboard thanks fellas4268E86E-2F1D-4E7D-ACE5-E75E5DA327BB.jpegB7BC7E18-5F2E-414D-9A08-0BEFBD43D012.jpeg26771DF4-8538-4526-B462-AF92EA46E168.jpeg

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I believe that could be an additional location for a zinc anode. Your pointing to it in the last photo. As far as the idle jumping on you. I'm not sure why. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new boat!! Pictures?

Rearwheeln

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
I believe that could be an additional location for a zinc anode. Your pointing to it in the last photo. As far as the idle jumping on you. I'm not sure why. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new boat!! Pictures?
140AB176-9004-4800-B0F5-FA5B5893AA3E.jpeg1CB08CEA-68EC-4699-BB86-B8E6F6FC0D88.jpeg

Solraider

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Congratulations on the new boat.
We bought new last year 2018 195ID. We have the same issue with the RPM pulsing every so often while idling. Its not much in RPM increase but is noticeable. Other issues we had: When we took delivery last year while trailering it home the engine hatch kept opening, installed a new post. Before launching I looked over areas on the boat based on issues members of this community detailed. Good thing I did, the intake grate bolts were loose with one coming out by over 1/2", shavings in hull under engine, marine mat was missing snaps (the flapping was irritating), did a hose clamp check and the water intake clamp at the exhaust manifold was finger loose so it was never tightened from factory. Everything we fixed ourselves, the drive to the dealer is two hours and just not worth it. So far I'm happy that problems have been minimal compared to others on the forum. Just chaps me when you buy new you have to go through quality issues that should have been handled at the factory with an additional 5 minutes spent in assembly.
Lake finally opened up last week (long winter) and so looking forward to summer.

Attachments

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
We bought new last year 2018 195ID. We have the same issue with the RPM pulsing every so often while idling. Its not much in RPM increase but is noticeable. Other issues we had: When we took delivery last year while trailering it home the engine hatch kept opening, installed a new post. Before launching I looked over areas on the boat based on issues members of this community detailed. Good thing I did, the intake grate bolts were loose with one coming out by over 1/2", shavings in hull under engine, marine mat was missing snaps (the flapping was irritating), did a hose clamp check and the water intake clamp at the exhaust manifold was finger loose so it was never tightened from factory. Everything we fixed ourselves, the drive to the dealer is two hours and just not worth it. So far I'm happy that problems have been minimal compared to others on the forum. Just chaps me when you buy new you have to go through quality issues that should have been handled at the factory with an additional 5 minutes spent in assembly.
Lake finally opened up last week (long winter) and so looking forward to summer.
I agree, this is not right and should have never left the factory in this condition. Good thing you checked!

Most boats looks smaller in the water, your boat looks bigger. Sharp!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I may be wrong but there is a SMART steering or not so smart that jumps your rpms if you turn the steering wheel when you are at idle, maybe it is malfunctioning or maybe not, but look into this and see about getting it turned off I have a system on my skies that does the same thing if you rapidly decelerate and turn at the same time I have real steering so I not only don't need it but I find it dangerous in tight places when it decides I need more thrust and I know I do NOT! riding up mangrove paths in the inner islands gets me in the trees a lot if it kicks in when I am needing to slow down fast.

Last edited:

Rearwheeln

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Thank you for the reply. I’m going to hop on my creeper and put a wrench on everything and all the hoses. This 165 seems so be a solid unit but there are little things like assembly shaving and dust from drilling, slap job here and there , very minor so far as I can tell. Boat handle the water superbly. I did manage to pick up some weeds on day 2 of the maiden outing, I jumped in the water and couldn’t feel anything blocking the intake grate so I started nursing it into the marina when whatever it was dislodged. After that the power wasn’t nearly as responsive. I can see just a small piece of debris in there and can’t imagine it effecting power that much so I’m going to take the grate off and have a feel in there , I couldn’t see any visual signs of damage to the impeller looking at it the other night

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
. I can see just a small piece of debris in there and can’t imagine it effecting power that much so I’m going to take the grate off and have a feel in there ,
Oh yes it will, just a small piece of fishing line will cause serious cavitation there can be NOTHING in the pump so remember that .

Rearwheeln

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
I wonder if the engine temp has something to do with the idle .... that would make sense to direct water flow at the cooling plate at low speed . I need to read the manual I guess