• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Audio System Installation

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Tha

That looks really sweet, how did you match the color so well ?
I brought the boat to a local auto body supply where they took a device and put it on the boat and it read the exact paint mixture number so I just printed that out and gave it to the body shop to paint

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
How far do the tower speakers stick out? Enough to get caught on something while pulling into a slip? I really want to do this before summer.

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It goes out about the same as the hull. If you have any questions send me a PM! image.jpeg

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
What kind of battery setup are you using. I'm getting ready to order rev10 and the 10 inch JL sub with 2 6 channel amps. Not sure what I will need battery wise. Just have 2 now

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
What kind of battery setup are you using. I'm getting ready to order rev10 and the 10 inch JL sub with 2 6 channel amps. Not sure what I will need battery wise. Just have 2 now
My boat came with an interstate marine battery, I put a second identical one in the boat and haven't had an issue. Are you upgrading your speakers too or no? What speakers do you have in your boat currently?

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I'm switching out the 8" sub for the same JL 10" you have. Gonna replace the towers with 2 rev10. Gonna leave the 6 remaining kickers, the 215 has 2 on the transom. Will likely switch them out at a later date. Earmark wants me to run 100 watts to each kicker and 300 to each tower and sub. I guess I'll find out pretty quick if I need to add a third battery. It's not like I'll be running them full volume all the time.

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm switching out the 8" sub for the same JL 10" you have. Gonna replace the towers with 2 rev10. Gonna leave the 6 remaining kickers, the 215 has 2 on the transom. Will likely switch them out at a later date. Earmark wants me to run 100 watts to each kicker and 300 to each tower and sub. I guess I'll find out pretty quick if I need to add a third battery. It's not like I'll be running them full volume all the time.
Do yourself a favor man, replace the kickers too all at the same time. It sucks to lay it all out at once but it's worth it. Kicker says the speakers RMS at 65watrs each but I'll tell ya something...I ran them at 50watts each when I took them out of the boat and they sounded like TRASH. Scarab had them running at 25watts each inside my boat. I was going to keep the 4 kickers in my boat originally too and upgrade everything else and my audio dealer wouldn't let me do it. He was right

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Also you won't need a 3rd battery IMO

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Alright. You convinced me. I'm going to upgrade speakers also. Now I need to decide if stick with 6.5 or go up in size. I'm going to try to install it myself, so I'm not sure if I want to tackle enlarging all the holes myself.

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Alright. You convinced me. I'm going to upgrade speakers also. Now I need to decide if stick with 6.5 or go up in size. I'm going to try to install it myself, so I'm not sure if I want to tackle enlarging all the holes myself.
I went with the 7.7's but you may want to just do the 6.5's especially with the ones on the swim platform. The other thing I was thinking in your situation. You may want to consider the JL tower speakers for cosmetic reasons. The Wetsounds might sound a little better and travel a little farther (only from what I've read, haven't experienced it) but the look of JL on the swim platform matching your towers is pretty sick in my opinion and it's still top of the line in quality.

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Again that's all just my opinion though I'm not saying it's right. It was just hard for me to do all JL and a Wetsounds tower setup but I took the advice from my sound dealer. If I was in your shoes with the speakers on the swim platform it would all be JL but whether you chose either or it's still going to be awesome!!