• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Upgrading audio system on a 2023 AR250

vikingknut

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am planning on upgrading the audio system on a new AR250 (yet to take delivery). First, I understand they parallel some speakers and go straight to amp with others. Which speaker wires can be re-used (bow, cabin, stern/swim platform)? I want very good audio, but I don't want to spend $3K to $5K for a premium JL system. I keep reading and watching reviews on Skar audio and how much bang for the buck you can get (especially their speakers).

Here is my current thoughts on the system:
Kicker KXMA800.8
Skar SK65M (replacing the 6 existing 6.5's and taking 1 channel each)
JL M6 - 10IB sub (amp bridged to provide 200 W at 4 ohms)

Questions:
What do you think of the above system? Any recommended changes?
As mentioned above, are there any speaker wires I can reuse?
Do you think I can reuse the head unit (Connext) or is it really that worthwhile to add a new head unit (and which one)?
Where do you recommend mounting the amp (helm? port side under bench seats?)?
Where do you recommend mounting the sub?
Will I be happy with a 10" sub running off of bridged channels of a 8 channel 100w/channel amp?
Any pointers from other AR250 owners that have performed a similar upgrade.

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome, and congrats on the new boat! We also went with a '23 AR250, and I went through the same debate you're going through regarding upgrading sound. You will realize everyone will have their own personal preference regarding stereos. The link below is to my post during my upgrade. I picked up my boat a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier. Yes, it was pricey since I went with JL Audio, but I felt it was worth it. I saved a ton on the front end with the equipment (abt.com open box for the win!) but had Boatronics of NE Florida install it, which was the best decision since I am OCD when it comes to wiring.

I added all my photos in my previous posts - check them out, and if you have any other questions about it, let me know! My installer said these boats are super easy to work on and have a ton of room to push wires through.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/rockford-fosgate-vs-jl-audio-setup.40286/

vikingknut

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome, and congrats on the new boat! We also went with a '23 AR250, and I went through the same debate you're going through regarding upgrading sound. You will realize everyone will have their own personal preference regarding stereos. The link below is to my post during my upgrade. I picked up my boat a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier. Yes, it was pricey since I went with JL Audio, but I felt it was worth it. I saved a ton on the front end with the equipment (abt.com open box for the win!) but had Boatronics of NE Florida install it, which was the best decision since I am OCD when it comes to wiring.

I added all my photos in my previous posts - check them out, and if you have any other questions about it, let me know! My installer said these boats are super easy to work on and have a ton of room to push wires through.

Thanks for the response. I saw your post. I can't blame you for going with JL Audio. Their reputation is impeccable. I am going to install it myself. While I am OCD as well, I do enjoy these types of projects (at least after copious amounts of cursing and it is finished). I was initially planning on going all JL Audio myself, but have been going back and forth. With the savings, I can replace all the marine mats with the same version as the 252's and have almost $1,000 left over for fuel. The number of people that swear by Skar and some of the tests/reviews I have seen of their equipment/speakers have been intriguing (especially at 25% of the cost).

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agreed, I would check out ABT.com and look at their open-box JL stuff. I ordered everything but my head units and subs from them, saving me over $1000. When I received them in the mail, they were all new products. I'm not sure if it was a mixup, but I couldn't beat the deal. I did splurge and bought the Fusion head unit so I could have 4 zones on the boat. Highly recommend it, especially if you are at the sandbar and want to turn specific zones down and others up.

Anything from the factory will be a big upgrade, so you cant go wrong either way. Keep us posted on what you decide!

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I am planning on upgrading the audio system on a new AR250 (yet to take delivery).
This type of question has been asked and answered many times. Maybe read through this thread for ideas:

I don't care for Skar audio - heard it in a car setup and it's awful, boomy lows, muddy mids, and shrill highs, and their coax speakers are not standard sizes so you have to open up the holes to make them fit and can't go back.

If you're trying to save money, go with Kicker or similar mid-range brands that will give good sound for a reasonable price. Stay away from the cheaply priced junk - they're cheap for a reason. Here's a comparison for you - JL and Wetsounds are like a Mercedes fancy and nice but pricey, Kicker is like VW good all around and not too expensive, Skar is like a Yugo piece of junk that is best burned at the side of the road.
:D

vikingknut

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the response. I had actually decided to move forward with Skar as I do believe they are better than anyone should expect to be. However, your feedback gave me pause and I am returning them. I had made peace with the fact that I would have to cut bigger holes, but I should have considered more about what happens if I don't like them or need to replace them. The larger holes could pose a challenge. So.... I am leaning towards Kicker's 45KM654L. They aren't much more than the Skars. Slightly less power, but better sensitivity. And, the added bonus, they have LED's, which is pretty appealing (at least from a coolness factor). My questions: 1. Anyone else install Kicker's 6.5 45KM654L's? If so, were you able to drop them in without boat modification? Do you like their sound?

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the response. I had actually decided to move forward with Skar as I do believe they are better than anyone should expect to be. However, your feedback gave me pause and I am returning them. I had made peace with the fact that I would have to cut bigger holes, but I should have considered more about what happens if I don't like them or need to replace them. The larger holes could pose a challenge. So.... I am leaning towards Kicker's 45KM654L. They aren't much more than the Skars. Slightly less power, but better sensitivity. And, the added bonus, they have LED's, which is pretty appealing (at least from a coolness factor). My questions: 1. Anyone else install Kicker's 6.5 45KM654L's? If so, were you able to drop them in without boat modification? Do you like their sound?
I have the Kicker 6.5 with LED's. I only had to drill new screw holes, they fit the factory cutout just fine. You will need an RGB Controller, I recommend this one. Its the same as the Wet Sounds controller https://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Controller-Sensitivety-Backlight-Touching/dp/B00JQ3QOSY Uses RF instead of IR so better control.

vikingknut

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the Kicker 6.5 with LED's. I only had to drill new screw holes, they fit the factory cutout just fine. You will need an RGB Controller, I recommend this one. Its the same as the Wet Sounds controller https://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Controller-Sensitivety-Backlight-Touching/dp/B00JQ3QOSY Uses RF instead of IR so better control.
Thanks for the intel. Very helpful. I was prepared to go with the Kicker control, but I like how this one has the ability to sync the lights to the music which the Kicker one lacks. Were there any issues with displaying all the colors? I am assuming no since they all use RGB. Lastly, are you happy with the sound? One thing is clear, the "best of" and detailed reviews of marine audio is woeful on the internet. For example, many "best of" lists don't include either JL Audio or Wetsounds on their list at all and include brands that are panned by those with real world expertise (like on this forum). I am not sure how any best of list could be missing JL Audio and Wetsounds. However, I saw one review of the Kicker 6.5's that suggested they have better than average bass response for a 6.5, good tweeter response, but more muddy mid-range response. However, two others praised the same Kicker 6.5's for having great response throughout the range (including the mid-range). I am not looking for sound that is as good as a JL Audio M6, but I do want a system that is loud enough to play while in motion and sounds good overall.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yes all colors are displayed. The RGB Controller was introducing feedback into my amp through the RCA so I added a line to RCA converter instead. When I added another amp at Christmas time I just ditched the RCA and used the built in mic on the controller which seems to work much better for me as far as moving with the music. As far as he speakers go Im very pleased they sound 100 times better then the factory speakers, Bass was much better but still not up to my liking so I ended up added 2 8" subwoofers too which is now perfect.

xtreme96gs

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve got the kickers in my 2023 AR195. They drop right in. Sound is great without an amp, although I’m anxious to see how much they wake up with more power. I also went with wet sounds mc1 radio, and a shadowcaster RGB controller, so I could operate the colors right from the head unit

Attachments

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
i replaced everything on my 252 front to back all jl 2 jl tower that i might replace by 2 ws 12" added a 12 inch bazooka and 2 jl cockpit speaker 2 jl 700/5 amps and a
Wet Sounds Sinister SDX2 2. got a friend that installed all ds11 sound even the tower that thing was loud and cheaper but i know the quality of jl and ws, if i was on a budget no doubt ds-1

smogden

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length

How happy were you with Boatronics? I'm in Fernandina Beach and I was conceding using them too. I have a 2023 222SE and the wet sounds OEM system is garbage.

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I highly recommend them. Their work is flawless and did a phenomenal job on my boat. They are fairly pricey but you get what you pay for. I’m OCD when it comes to wiring and they ensure all the wiring looks like it was made from the factory (well better considering Yamaha’s lack of quality control these days).

drober30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
I recommend doing JL Audio, if your doing the install yourself, you can save a ton of money buying the equipment online, there are legit authorized online JL Audio retailers that offer anywhere from 5% - 20% off discount codes. I have been outfitting my cars with custom JL Audio installs since 1994.

You're getting a new boat so I'm sure you will have the equipment for a long time so worth the investment but when you do go to sell the boat, the JL Audio equipment will have a good resale value. Maybe wait till Black Friday and buy all your equipment and have a winter install project for next season.

smogden

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
I highly recommend them. Their work is flawless and did a phenomenal job on my boat. They are fairly pricey but you get what you pay for. I’m OCD when it comes to wiring and they ensure all the wiring looks like it was made from the factory (well better considering Yamaha’s lack of quality control these days).
I’m going to try and have as much equipment as possible for the instal before hand. I figure I could save a good bit that way. I’m ocd as well when it comes to that stuff as well. They did tell me that that they can come up to the island to do the work so I will have to trailer the boat to them.

smogden

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
I recommend doing JL Audio, if your doing the install yourself, you can save a ton of money buying the equipment online, there are legit authorized online JL Audio retailers that offer anywhere from 5% - 20% off discount codes. I have been outfitting my cars with custom JL Audio installs since 1994.

You're getting a new boat so I'm sure you will have the equipment for a long time so worth the investment but when you do go to sell the boat, the JL Audio equipment will have a good resale value. Maybe wait till Black Friday and buy all your equipment and have a winter install project for next season.
well this project will primarily be JL Audio. Last boat was all wetsounds. This time around we are going JL audio for in boat and Subs then 4 kicker 11’s on the tower. If JL would ever build a high performance tower speaker that does what I want it to I would do something different. The Current JL towers are nice just not the type of performance I’m looking for.

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m going to try and have as much equipment as possible for the instal before hand. I figure I could save a good bit that way. I’m ocd as well when it comes to that stuff as well. They did tell me that that they can come up to the island to do the work so I will have to trailer the boat to them.
I bought everything online and then brought it all to them to install.

If they're willing to come to you, that is awesome. I just dropped it off at their shop when they were ready and picked it up a couple of days later. The best part about them is they'll quote you a price and if it takes longer, you still pay the quoted price. If they can knock it out faster, then you pay less.

smogden

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
I bought everything online and then brought it all to them to install.

If they're willing to come to you, that is awesome. I just dropped it off at their shop when they were ready and picked it up a couple of days later. The best part about them is they'll quote you a price and if it takes longer, you still pay the quoted price. If they can knock it out faster, then you pay less.

Now that's what I'm talking about! Did you provide RCA's and all the wiring as well?

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now that's what I'm talking about! Did you provide RCA's and all the wiring as well?
I did not. I wasn't sure exactly what I needed and how much, so I had them run everything and paid for it at the end.