• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New bern (or similar) to Cape Look out run June 29th (tentative)

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm a bit confused. Is the group not doing New Bern anymore? Are we just going to stay in / near Beaufort, NC and explore the ICW, and possibly go out in open water?
Yes, that’s what a few of us are doing. Staying in Beaufort for the weekend and exploring out there. We haven’t settled on exact plans though. A run up Adams Creek to the Neuse would be cool IMO. I’ve never been to that area so am pretty much up for anything. Weather and conditions might impact exactly what we do too....

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So... we should start figuring out where we're gonna go Saturday. I'm a noob in that area. Is Cape Lookout the best place to go? From what I read in another thread, sounds like water between Harkers Island and Shackleford Banks should be avoided. Lots of sand....

Thoughts? Anyone else joining?

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
FYI I highly recommend the sandbars around Beaufort. Also one thing to note is near the Morehead City State Terminal is a long no wake zone, and the signs got blown off in the storm. I had fish and wildlife hollerin at me about a no wake zone and I'm like WTF the last sign I passed said end of wake zone. They said yeah it got blown off in the storm. Hmmmmmm aight well how do you expect anyone to know this? Not sure if they could technically ticket anyone, but just a heads up if you're out that way. We put in at the Newport River Pier and ramp. Nice ramp, and although there were a lot of trucks parked there was never a line putting in or getting out.

Another thing to note, don't go to sand dollar island. They have ferry's that run and drop a butt load of people off. There's TONS of sandbars right around there to go to.

vanmurray

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Right now AM Saturday forecast looks pretty good, wind picks up in the afternoon.

If it holds, I vote an AM run to Cape Lookout (22 mi) then back to Shackleford banks (point 2) for sandbar time. We can stop at Sand dollar if the tide is right (looks like it could be).

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Van, looks like a good plan! Forecasts reliable that far out?

I'll be driving out Friday, late morning into early afternoon. Probably arrive between 1-2pm if all goes to plan. Want to get there and check on the slip situation, preferable at the Boathouse next to the hotel. If I can get the boat in the water, drop off stuff at the hotel I'm gonna get out on the water and get familiar with the area a bit. Then all day Saturday and probably part of Sunday assuming the family and I aren't beat....

I went back through this thread from the beginning.... lots of folks expressed interest but I'm not 100% sure who's in or out.
@KyleP, @symbianx, @Smitty, @AndyD, @jgpncll, @Eric Ballard, @redthumper9, @Neutron, @robert843

vanmurray

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Looking forward to it. Let’s check it again Thursday.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Have fun guys..... Cape Lookout will be gorgeous this weekend. I was hoping to make it but will be at a powerboat poker run in VA Beach.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Couple of recommendations. I wouldn't go to point 1 on your route. I'd head the opposite way into the Morehead City Channel. Reason being that's ALL no wake zone to point 1. Judging by where your starting point is it's shorter to head to the MC channel. Also you don't want ocean side at the lighthouse, you want sound side.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Couple of recommendations. I wouldn't go to point 1 on your route. I'd head the opposite way into the Morehead City Channel. Reason being that's ALL no wake zone to point 1. Judging by where your starting point is it's shorter to head to the MC channel. Also you don't want ocean side at the lighthouse, you want sound side.
We are staying east of downtown so has to be quicker going east and then south towards Shackleford.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We are staying east of downtown so has to be quicker going east and then south towards Shackleford.

View attachment 97912
Yup, you're right. It looked like on his first map it was closer. Yeah that would SUCK to head the other direction. LOL! Watch out for sandbars around your point 1. Keep yours eyes peeled as well as watch your depth gauge/equipment and navionics app if you're using that.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am shooting to trailer to Beaufort early am Sat with the wife and put in at the Boathouse ramp. We are most likely going to go to Shack and relax then head back to the waterfront for a meal before loading up

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yup, you're right. It looked like on his first map it was closer. Yeah that would SUCK to head the other direction. LOL! Watch out for sandbars around your point 1. Keep yours eyes peeled as well as watch your depth gauge/equipment and navionics app if you're using that.
Looks like that area might be shallow. Van has the Navionics app and I'm going to get it as well. They offer a 14 day free trial from what I remember....

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I am shooting to trailer to Beaufort early am Sat with the wife and put in at the Boathouse ramp. We are most likely going to go to Shack and relax then head back to the waterfront for a meal before loading up
OK, so we can probably meet up with you after our run to the lookout...

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Looks like that area might be shallow. Van has the Navionics app and I'm going to get it as well. They offer a 14 day free trial from what I remember....
It is. Lots of sandbars around that area.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Made it. The Beaufort Hotel is super nice! Bar, restaurant, and rooms are really nice.

Pic of the family with a few friends during a pit stop...

Attachments

vanmurray

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
On my way. Had a little hiccup in the giddy up.

Back on the road...

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are leaving the house by 8 am if all goes well. Should be at ramp by 9

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We are leaving the house by 8 am if all goes well. Should be at ramp by 9
K, van is gonna put his boat in between 8-9am in the morning. We’re planning to pull out around 9’ish to head to Lookout.

My boat is where the red pin isEA7FF3ED-09B4-4EC8-8CF2-86B59B283BD3.png

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just anchored to Shack, time to crack a beer.... to early. Naaah
20190629_100836.jpg