• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New boater - just committed to 2020 212x

denstoy968

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Hi Everyone!

New to this site though I’ve been stalking for several weeks digesting a lot of great info! I was looking for a 242x but couldn’t find any. Happen to call a local dealer and they just got a 2020 212x in and was about to list it and put on showroom floor. It only had 30 hrs and was selling for $65k with cover and wake package along with some other miscellaneous accessories left by previous owner. The boat was originally purchased 3 months ago.I grabbed my family and booked it to the store and fell in love with it - especially since it was in my fave color combo black/yellow. I know the boat market is extremely hot right now and I was thinking I wasn’t going to buy anything until winter but maybe got lucky. I know this price is probably pretty much what original guy paid for it though dealer said it was closer to $70k.Threw down by deposit and signed paperwork and will take delivery this week.
I usually haggle over prices but in light of our current market I know i had to pull trigger now and pay the price. We really wanted the wake series jet boat as all my kids (9-11-21) and my wife and I wanna learn to wakeboard - yes we are newbies at that too!! I hope I don’t regret not waiting for a 242x but can always trade up later. I am curious from you owners if you think there’s much of a difference in ride between the 212 and 242? Also, please tell me I didn’t way overpay...felt like it was pretty much a new boat at 30 hrs. Any other nice tips for a rookie would be appreciated. Can’t wait to get her out next weekend!

Thanks in advance!

Dennis

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
65k OTD is what I paid for my 2020 212x in May with mooring cover and wake booster. However, maybe your taxes are higher where you live? That seems pretty high, and the poor dude that paid 70k OTD originally......I sure hope that came with some lube. I felt I didn't get all that great of a deal at 65k, but it was May and balls deep into covid already. SO, not too much I could ask already a month into our season here in NC.

denstoy968

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
65k OTD is what I paid for my 2020 212x in May with mooring cover and wake booster. However, maybe your taxes are higher where you live? That seems pretty high, and the poor dude that paid 70k OTD originally......I sure hope that came with some lube. I felt I didn't get all that great of a deal at 65k, but it was May and balls deep into covid already. SO, not too much I could ask already a month into our season here in NC.
I see brand new ones going for $62k so yeah it’s not like we got a deal. Once you add cover and wake booster it’s pretty much what I paid and then tax but finding a new one in stock hasn’t been easy - though I was looking for 242x originally. Right now it seems boats arehard to get and there’s no discounts out there to be had.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I see brand new ones going for $62k so yeah it’s not like we got a deal. Once you add cover and wake booster it’s pretty much what I paid and then tax but finding a new one in stock hasn’t been easy - though I was looking for 242x originally. Right now it seems boats arehard to get and there’s no discounts out there to be had.
Considering the shortage of boats due to factory shutdowns, you probably did alright. We hesitated at first but found a 212s in black for a reasonable price plus factory discounts and a free mooring cover so we grabbed it. We love the boat (first jetboat but boaters for years) and these things are rockets and a blast to drive. My wife had little interest before, but now she likes to get behind the wheel and have some fun too...go figure. And I don't know why people complain about handling, this 212s is easier to handle and dock than my old stern drive - just takes some practice to get used to how it handles and how the fwd/rev buckets controls movement. I think you're going to be very happy with it.

PS - pics when you get it or it didn't happen!
:D

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congrats on the new to you boat!

I’m not a super haggler, if I pay slightly better than median price I’m happy. I will ask for something to close the deal. I thought the price was good for my previously used boat. Apparently very close to NADA, but I didn’t know at the time. And that doesn’t factor in additions/upgrades like the mooring cover, dual batteries, and charger. What I did know is that it would’ve cost me more for a new 19’ and the only used 24’ were Limited types that were $10k+ more or POS needing a lot of work. I gave the asking price and asked the marina to proved a tube and rope, and whatever I needed for USCG compliance (that got me the Yamaha starter kit and fire extinguishers). I think they dumped a lot of money into the trailer to make it road worthy, so mechanically it is like new. They gave me the full new boat owner tutorial, driving lessons, and a full tank of gas to boot.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Get that family out on the water and start having fun. Any cost regrets will melt away when you come home a little sun burned, exhausted and your face hurting from smiling all day.
Unfortunately you are not done spending money. Hit up @J-RAD to figure out what wake surf board you will need.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congratulations! My advice, forget about what you spent and what you're about to spend. Its about the memories and time with your family. That's a worthy investment in my mind. The 212x is a great watersports boat. It's capabilities are comparable to the 242 in many ways. I could suggest a couple worthy investments up front though.

1) Hydrophase Ridesteady GPS speed control system. The E-series boats have a built in GPS based speed control. Your 212x does not. You will find that your boat will have the tendency to want to creep up and down in speed during tow sports. It can be very distracting to the driver to have to constantly monitor and manage the speed. Consistent speed is also helpful for the rider. It's critical for a consistent wave for wakesurfing. The Ridesteady allows you to program users and speed settings. Your only job as the driver will be to pull the rider up and accelerate up to the set speed and the Ridesteady will take over maintaining the speed. It holds too within .1mph. It also has the added benefit of digitally synchronizing your twin engines full time even during regular cruising. It will feel like you bought an E-series. Definitely a top mod. There's lots of information here on the forum about it. Just use that search tool.

2) It sounds like the WakeBooster kit was included in the deal. There's lots of threads in setup and ballast configuration here too. Search and you will find. The best way to improve on the surf-ability is by adding a swim deck ballast bag. Gently products designed the custom transom ballast bag that fits right on the surfside corner of the swim deck. It puts the right amount of ballast exactly where it's needed.

As @buckbuck was kind enough to imply. I'm a watersports dealer. If you're after any gear and would like a recommendation feel free to shoot me a message. I'm happy to give advice and help you select the right fit. Wakeboards, wakesurf boards, ropes. I'm a dealer for Slingshot, O'Brien, JetPilot, and Airhead, and hopefully more to come. We're have access to about anything, way more than we can list. Reach out anytime, shoot me a DM or email thru the site.
Transom Watersports | Wakeboard | Wakesurf | Vest | SUP

Enjoy that new boat and have a fun and safe rest if the season!

denstoy968

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Congrats on the new to you boat!

I’m not a super haggler, if I pay slightly better than median price I’m happy. I will ask for something to close the deal. I thought the price was good for my previously used boat. Apparently very close to NADA, but I didn’t know at the time. And that doesn’t factor in additions/upgrades like the mooring cover, dual batteries, and charger. What I did know is that it would’ve cost me more for a new 19’ and the only used 24’ were Limited types that were $10k+ more or POS needing a lot of work. I gave the asking price and asked the marina to proved a tube and rope, and whatever I needed for USCG compliance (that got me the Yamaha starter kit and fire extinguishers). I think they dumped a lot of money into the trailer to make it road worthy, so mechanically it is like new. They gave me the full new boat owner tutorial, driving lessons, and a full tank of gas to boot.
Yeah we have all that scheduled next weekend. As a newbie, I’m very happy that they are spending all the time to get going and will do a wet delivery at the lake. I’ve already read the manual cover to cover but hands on guidance will be valuable too.

denstoy968

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Get that family out on the water and start having fun. Any cost regrets will melt away when you come home a little sun burned, exhausted and your face hurting from smiling all day.
Unfortunately you are not done spending money. Hit up @J-RAD to figure out what wake surf board you will need.
Thank you and yeah I woke up this am thinking about all the other “stuff” I got spend money on lol! But all in good fun!! Can’t wait for next weekend!

denstoy968

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Congratulations! My advice, forget about what you spent and what you're about to spend. Its about the memories and time with your family. That's a worthy investment in my mind. The 212x is a great watersports boat. It's capabilities are comparable to the 242 in many ways. I could suggest a couple worthy investments up front though.

1) Hydrophase Ridesteady GPS speed control system. The E-series boats have a built in GPS based speed control. Your 212x does not. You will find that your boat will have the tendency to want to creep up and down in speed during tow sports. It can be very distracting to the driver to have to constantly monitor and manage the speed. Consistent speed is also helpful for the rider. It's critical for a consistent wave for wakesurfing. The Ridesteady allows you to program users and speed settings. Your only job as the driver will be to pull the rider up and accelerate up to the set speed and the Ridesteady will take over maintaining the speed. It holds too within .1mph. It also has the added benefit of digitally synchronizing your twin engines full time even during regular cruising. It will feel like you bought an E-series. Definitely a top mod. There's lots of information here on the forum about it. Just use that search tool.

2) It sounds like the WakeBooster kit was included in the deal. There's lots of threads in setup and ballast configuration here too. Search and you will find. The best way to improve on the surf-ability is by adding a swim deck ballast bag. Gently products designed the custom transom ballast bag that fits right on the surfside corner of the swim deck. It puts the right amount of ballast exactly where it's needed.

As @buckbuck was kind enough to imply. I'm a watersports dealer. If you're after any gear and would like a recommendation feel free to shoot me a message. I'm happy to give advice and help you select the right fit. Wakeboards, wakesurf boards, ropes. I'm a dealer for Slingshot, O'Brien, JetPilot, and Airhead, and hopefully more to come. We're have access to about anything, way more than we can list. Reach out anytime, shoot me a DM or email thru the site.
Transom Watersports | Wakeboard | Wakesurf | Vest | SUP

Enjoy that new boat and have a fun and safe rest if the season!
Thank you so much for the info! Yeah I noticed there wasn’t much in the manual about ballast set up except for max weight in boat when ballast is full and nothing about the wake booster. I’ll take note of these items you recommend as well and hit you up if we look to buy anything which I’m sure we will lol! Thx again!!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Tell the salesman that you expect them to clean the shoe prints off your boat before delivery. Bad bad bad. Hopefully those are just wet marks and not dirt.

denstoy968

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Tell the salesman that you expect them to clean the shoe prints off your boat before delivery. Bad bad bad. Hopefully those are just wet marks and not dirt.
Yep we had that convo - it hasn’t been detailed and cleaned for delivery yet but he said all that will be removed and looking new 👍😜

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I didn’t take any pics yet when I was at the dealer but here’s the 3 my salesman sent me.
I'm not a fan of flashy graphics, but they did a good job with the colour scheme of the x model...looks nice. Did you get the warranty transfer too? If not you'll need to have the dealer take care of that (or maybe Yamaha has to do it, not sure).

denstoy968

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I'm not a fan of flashy graphics, but they did a good job with the colour scheme of the x model...looks nice. Did you get the warranty transfer too? If not you'll need to have the dealer take care of that (or maybe Yamaha has to do it, not sure).
As a matter of fact, i just finished the Manual last night and that was the very end of the book where it talked about warranty transfer so I am going to have that conversation. And yeah - Yamaha did a great job and i think it looks awesome. 😎😉

denstoy968

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
it's definitely the best color. Seems very popular too!
Funny thing is i really wanted the 242x in the blue and white but always told the wife that I wish it was offered in this color scheme or even the grey black combo that the AR240 offers! So when this was what became available I took it as a sign lol! 👍😜

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Funny thing is i really wanted the 242x in the blue and white but always told the wife that I wish it was offered in this color scheme or even the grey black combo that the AR240 offers! So when this was what became available I took it as a sign lol! 👍😜
I wanted a 242xe as well, but seeing all the electrical issues they have with their connext system compared to ours made me happy not to get one.

denstoy968

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I wanted a 242xe as well, but seeing all the electrical issues they have with their connext system compared to ours made me happy not to get one.
Didn’t know that. So issues with the E series?