• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Boatless with a bunch of questions!

Yamborghini

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
I've fallen in love with boating in the last 2 months and am currently working 6 days a week 10 hours a day. Unfortunately there aren't any Yamaha dealers near me so that I can touch the eye candy I get to see online.

I'm currently working at Plant Vogtle in East GA and really know nothing about boating. So I stare and gawk at all the pretty toys and wish I could ride to come up with questions.

First question I have is what's the big difference in the MR1 and 1.8? I want the dual engines of the 21footer but the SS and X are so much more expensive than the AR.

2nd question is is there a really big space on board difference in the 23 foot and 21 foot boats?

This is all new to me and like I said, I am not provided the opportunity to actually see a Yamaha in person.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Randall, I can't answer either of your questions. Certainly someone will though.

One thing you might think about is how many people do you think you might have on board. That will help decide the size of boat you might want.

Another thing is what do you think you might do with the boat. Fish? Tow a tube with kids on it? Etc. That might help with the engine choice.

You're looking at a jet boat which most on this forum would think is a wise choice. One warning is if the lake(s) you will frequent have a lot of weeds a jet boat might not be the best choice.

I'm just trying to suggest there are two things to consider when buying a boat. One is the boat and the other is how you will use it. That combination will help you narrow your choice.

Welcome to the forum.
John

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi Randall! Welcome to Jetboaters.net and welcome to a great hobby!

If you're totally new, I'd suggest taking things slow and trying to get rides on other people's boats. Check out every kind of boat there is (from runabouts to pontoon boats to cuddy cruisers - even sailboats) and consider how you plan to use that boat. As a long-time boat owner I can tell you from experience that there is how you THINK you'll use your boat and how you ACTUALLY use your boat. This can be an expensive lesson to learn. Luckily, I sorted all that out on cheap (sub-$5,000) boats before I invested in my Yamaha.

Boat shopping is fun, so definitely take your time and enjoy the experience. Boattrader.com is a fun way to kill a few hours. It seems overwhelming at first but once you've spent some time there you'll find that you've got a great handle on used boat prices.

While you're shopping, PLEASE run through your state's on-line boater's safety course: http://www.boat-ed.com/georgia/ It seems like every time we hit the water we run into some fool who either doesn't know the rules or doesn't care about them. Too many times that fool ends up in the news when someone is hurt or killed due to his lack of seamanship. Don't be that guy.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I don't want to be the dissenting vote, but it may be worthwhile checking out others brands/options of jet boats that may be in your area as well.

Raphael

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi Randall,

For me the size of my boat had to do with the size of my family I bought the 23" because I have a 5 member family and usually take an additional family with us but the smaller boats are a little more nimble and usually less expensive. Also "for me"I couldn't cost justify a new boat because we have such a short boating season in Utah good luck with your decision.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @Randall Knapp. This is the best place to get unbiased answers to your questions. I spent a year on these forums educating myself before buying my Yamaha. It has been a worthwhile experience. @jdonalds gave you good advice when he suggested you determine what your primary use might be. If it's water sports an AR model might be best. If it's just boating and fishing there would be no need for the tower.
You asked about some differences between the 21 and 23 foot boats. the 21 will seat 9 and the 23 foot will seat 10 people. With boats every foot counts so yes, I think there is a lot more elbow room on the 23 foot vs the 21 foot boats. The deck layout on these boats is great so either way you go you won't be disappointed. I can't tell you a lot about the difference between the MR-1 and the 1.8 other than the 1.8 is the newest engine, it runs at lower RPM so is quieter than the MR-1. The MR-1 has a pretty reliable history from it's predecessor, the R-1 motorcycle engine to its marinized version the MR-1. In either case you will find these boats very easy to work on if you have some basic skills.
From our user map I see you are in a pretty good boating area with access to Mobil Bay We do have a couple of members, on either side of you, off of I-10. one in Biloxi and one in Pensacola. That's a little ride for you but may be worth your time if you can negotiate a ride along.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
For me the size of my boat had to do with the size of my family I bought the 23" because I have a 5 member family and usually take an additional family with us but the smaller boats are a little more nimble and usually less expensive. Also "for me"I couldn't cost justify a new boat because we have such a short boating season in Utah good luck with your decision.
Similar to this, I would recommend going one size up from what you think you need. In boating, "two foot-itis" is highly common.

Our first boat was a SeaDoo Speedster SK. A 17' that seated 4, in bucket seats so no more than 4, ever. So when we were shopping this time we were looking at the 19' boats, which seats 8 (which really means 5-6 comfortably). We then settled on the 21', seating 9 (or 7...).

Especially looking at new, you don't want something that is just a touch too short and spend the next summer shopping for something bigger.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Welcome aboard @Randall Knapp ! Everybody is new at some point, so don't hold it against yourself, we certainly won't. But the advise above is good, take your time, find some members locally to see their boats and maybe even a demo ride with them. We work for cheap and often only need a reason to hit the water! Boating is fun and becomes second nature, but experience pays big dividends.

You asked some good questions! First off, I think some got answered pretty well, but let me add to the answers...
The MR-1 was a great motor and serves as a base for the 110hp 21' boats. It was also produced in a high output version at 160hp for both the 21' 212X and SS., as well as the engine for the 230/232 (23'). But emissions standards were tightened and Yamaha chose to re-engine those boats to meet the new standard starting in 2010 for the 240/242 (24'), and the 212X and SS a year after that, using the newer 1.8l 180hp motors. The earlier 230's also had a 140hp non HO version of the MR-1.

You asked why the AR 210 was cheaper than the 212 versions, and that is because of much more expense in the HO engines in the 212's.

The 210 line is a great boat, but it is the base engine and not near the reserve power. Many members find that it is too weak if Rey boat above 2500' elevations or so, due to thinner air.

Yamaha also entered the 19' boat
Market with a single engine 1.8l motor a few years ago.

Enjoy the search, and make sure your profile has your location. It will
Make it easier to find someone able to show you their boat. And welcome aboard once again!

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Howdy @Randall Knapp !

First things first, go take a Coast Guard approved boating class. Learn the basics of boating. It will serve you well.

While your thirst for knowledge is at it's peak, it's a good time to pick up a copy of Chapman Piloting & Seamanship 67th Edition (Chapman Piloting, Seamanship and Small Boat Handling):
http://www.amazon.com/Chapman-Piloting-Seamanship-Edition-Handling/dp/1588169618/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403704600&sr=8-1&keywords=chapman's piloting and seamanship

I guarantee countless hours of wondrous reading.

Then, go rent a jet ski. (make sure it's a Yamaha)

Yep, no faster way to get an understanding of how the water jet engine on these boats operates. You'll learn how you have no "way" (look that up in Chapman's) if you have no propulsion. You'll find all about weeds and how they don't play with jet pumps well - and you'll learn how to clean them out.

Good Luck, be safe, have fun! :cool:

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Randall, if you come by here some day like we talked, I'll take you out in my 230, and the dealer here in PC has several 212's/240's we can look at so you can see the difference in person.

Yamborghini

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
What my intentions are is mostly cruising, lounging, beaching, and possibly water sports. My lady wants jet skis for the handling and excitement, but I won't have them as I'm pasty white and need a bimini for refuge every now and then.

My youth speaks here as I love the look of the jet boats. The transom and swim platform are great! The speed and handling are there. We don't have kids ore really want them. I couldn't see anymore than 7 going on a trip. I am quite a big guy, 6'3 320. My lady isn't tiny. 150-170 not certain or will I ever be. Lol

I haven't seen any jet boats out and about but then again I haven't looked. I cannot say much about weeds. How do I look for them? What conditions are ripe for weed growth? The only fresh water sand bar around has a mud bottom. (Gravine Island) I Never felt weeds.
Most of the boating will be done on the Mobile Delta and the gulf coast. I assume weeds are a fresh or brackish thing as I've never seen them in the ocean.

The answers have been great!

@Wayloncle I'm definitely going to take you up on it. I was hoping that there could be someone in this neighborhood of Augusta as well. Isnt jet boat pilot at the PCB shop?

leeatmg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Randall Knapp - a few more comments on usage, if I may. I echo the others who have posted on this already in that how you think you will use the boat is very, very important to figure out as best as you can beforehand. Make an effort to test ride on a boat; perhaps even consider renting one on a local lake once to get a feel for it.

If you primarily like driving around and cruising, for example, you may need less interior space in a boat because people will be otherwise occupied looking at scenery and so on. Same goes for water sports, as long as the boat has enough storage for the things that are needed for the water sport.

On the other hand, if you like to park and swim, lounge, hang out, listen to music, and so on, then interior space becomes very important. Kids or no kids, if you plan to be out for the day on the water, things get very cozy in a small boat.

In our case, we have three kids and typically take either another couple or another family out, and in both cases we like to park, lounge, and swim. A 21' boat would not be enough space for us at all - even the 23' we have, while spacious, can be cramped at times if you are trying to serve food or beverages. We often have dinner or lunch (or both) on the boat and end up with 2-3 people sitting on the swim platform to eat to give everyone enough space.

Technically speaking, our boat lists its capacity at 10 I think; we have had that many people on board and thought it was 3-4 people too many. :jawdrop:

In my opinion, the swim platform on these boats is the best feature by a mile. We use it constantly, and when parked people fight for the seats back there.

In short, figure out how and where you will spend the time (lounging, swimming, etc.) and if that answer is not primarily water sports, buy the largest boat you can afford. You will not ever regret having more space; you may someday regret not having enough.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What my intentions are is mostly cruising, lounging, beaching, and possibly water sports. My lady wants jet skis for the handling and excitement, but I won't have them as I'm pasty white and need a bimini for refuge every now and then.

My youth speaks here as I love the look of the jet boats. The transom and swim platform are great! The speed and handling are there. We don't have kids ore really want them. I couldn't see anymore than 7 going on a trip. I am quite a big guy, 6'3 320. My lady isn't tiny. 150-170 not certain or will I ever be. Lol

I haven't seen any jet boats out and about but then again I haven't looked. I cannot say much about weeds. How do I look for them? What conditions are ripe for weed growth? The only fresh water sand bar around has a mud bottom. (Gravine Island) I Never felt weeds.
Most of the boating will be done on the Mobile Delta and the gulf coast. I assume weeds are a fresh or brackish thing as I've never seen them in the ocean.

The answers have been great!

@Wayloncle I'm definitely going to take you up on it. I was hoping that there could be someone in this neighborhood of Augusta as well. Isnt jet boat pilot at the PCB shop?
Yep, JetBoatPilot is here in PC. He has several boats at his shop right now as well.

Edited to add...
@MikeyL is close to Augusta over on Lake Oceonee or how ever you spell it, he might know of a dealer close to there.

Last edited:

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Randall Knapp. From the description of your activities, putting "possibly water sports" at the end of your list I think you would be looking for a non AR boat. Given your "line backer" physique you may want to go for the 23 foot boat so you don't accidently bump into a passenger and knock them overboard. So given all that I would say a 23 foot SX model would fit your needs nicely. Now your decisions revolve more around budget...New or used? If you wait till the end of the season the prices on both drop a fair amount. The dealers want to liquidate what they have and the current boat owners are faced with paying for winterizing (which you can do yourself), storage and continued insurance.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard and good luck with your search.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great advice above. I grew up with an 18' Outboard bowrider with our family of 5 and my dad never did get a larger boat until we were all out of the house. There is a fine line as far as getting the right size and keeping it (maintainability, ease of access, financial). I have seen some cases of going to big and then deciding to get out of boating or at least temporarily. That would be the worst scenario and this is what happened to my dad once he moved up to 27'. It didn't help that the house washed away

Some other thoughts:
1) Think about whether you will trailer, use a marina, and/or have a boat lift. Often the storage costs will increase as the boat gets larger.
2) If you are trailering, consider your tow vehicle capabilities. Also consider the importance of getting a trailer that is in good shape which can be as important as the boat.
3) How much of the maintenance do you plan to do? If you will not be doing any of the work, the dealer and brand will be critical. This will open it up to a lot of different brands
4) Often the length of the boat also means that the beam (width) is wider. This makes the length increase that much more significant
5) Cost of boating - know that the initial outlay is only a part of the equation. Have extra $$ in reserves so problems are not setbacks. Boats break or it is good to have that expectation so you are less disappointed.
6) Boating season - If my boating season was greater than 3 months, this would affect my boat choice(s). If I lived in Florida, I would have 2 or 3. This goes along with how you can and will use the boat.

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm going to dissent from most everyone here and tell you to start small with a cheap boat--since you say you have no boating experience and you don't know how you and your wife will really like it. The enjoyment of being on the water is also accompanied with hauling the boat to the water each time, unless you rent a slip, the expense of fuel. maintenance, repairs, upgrades, insurance and other things. If you buy a $5,000 boat and don't like it for some reason you can resell it tomorrow with little or no loss; if you buy a $50,000 boat and don't like it you will take a major hit if you decide to turn around and sell it. Also, if you start small and really like boating then you will have a better idea of what you want for long-term.

I've had a lot of boats before but never a jet boat so I started small with an older LX to see if I liked jet boats or not; then, after a few months I decided to move up to an SX240 since I had a much better idea of what I wanted to own long-term.

Good luck...

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm going to dissent from most everyone here and tell you to start small with a cheap boat--since you say you have no boating experience and you don't know how you and your wife will really like it. The enjoyment of being on the water is also accompanied with hauling the boat to the water each time, unless you rent a slip, the expense of fuel. maintenance, repairs, upgrades, insurance and other things. If you buy a $5,000 boat and don't like it for some reason you can resell it tomorrow with little or no loss; if you buy a $50,000 boat and don't like it you will take a major hit if you decide to turn around and sell it. Also, if you start small and really like boating then you will have a better idea of what you want for long-term.

I've had a lot of boats before but never a jet boat so I started small with an older LX to see if I liked jet boats or not; then, after a few months I decided to move up to an SX240 since I had a much better idea of what I wanted to own long-term.

Good luck...
To me, this is good advice. There are others that will argue "buy your second boat first" but if you don't really KNOW what your second boat will be that doesn't work. (I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb to say that a brand-new boater is probably uncertain as to what they want.)

I guess it depends on your personality and personal income: To me an inexpensive boat that wasn't quite what I wanted would only stress me a little. An expensive boat that isn't quite what I wanted would stress me a lot!

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm biased but I love my 21 foot 212x. Plenty of space and great performance too. If you want the top end speed get the 212x. I haven't read all the responses but a couple of common suggestions are buy your last boat first. Which means if you can afford the 212 series boat or the 23/24 foot boat, go for it, you won't be dissappointed.
and as always.