• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New, but not..... :)

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Well, after owning an 04 SX230 about 4 years ago and selling because it just wasn't the family thing to do then (kids were young and just didn't seem into it) and having done the motorcycle thing again, I think we have decided to go boating again. My daughter who will be 9 now is bugging us to get another and our now teenage son will like it once its here and we get him out there. With that said, we are leaning towards a 190 series, more specifically an AR192. There are a few reasons why, one is price and the other is its size and towing. We no longer have the old tow vehicle and the new Explorer is only rated at 5000lbs with a 500lb tongue load. I think it will like the smaller 19' foot boat, even comparing it to a 210. The price is self explanatory, we don't want to spend a lot right now but we would like something newer and nice. The size, well its usually just the 4 of us and will have an extra couple or two occasionally. I don't ever see more than 6 on the boat at one time.

We went to check the layout out yesterday and it was surprisingly roomy. The freeboard (i think this is the proper term) felt low. That was the one thing I didn't like as it seemed like the sides of the boat and the floor were very close together if that makes sense. With that said, my wife really liked the layout and loves the idea of a smaller boat as she likes to drive it AND she helps at the dock and ramp.

Also, I just discovered this site by accident. I was spending all my time over at another board that I was on before and had no idea this one existed, I think I went by Nozzleman216 over there. But I must say, there is a ton of 190 series posts over there compared to here. But I just wanted to stop in and say hi.

At this time I am just looking for some insight and have one question. Can the hours be checked without starting the motor? Can you just turn the key over to like the accessory and check them? Reason I ask is I am considering making an offer on one and asked for the hours but the guy said he had to start the boat to do so.

Thanks, and hopefully I am back for good :)

Last edited:

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
not sure what the tongue load is... but the 242LS is just barely over the 5K limit (dry on trailer). So you could also get away with a 212 if you wanted to go that large.

From what it sounds like overall... you would do really well with a 192 :). Seems to fit your needs pretty well.

Yeah you have to start the boat unless you have a tool to read the hours. Don't have to completely turn the engine over. I am not sure if you pull the lanyard and turn it over (won't fire) if the electronics turn on enough to read the hours.

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Ok, thanks for the reply! I wasn't sure if the ignition switch was two position like a car and you could get to the electronic stuff by just turning it over to the first position.

Would I "like" a bigger boat...yes, but I think for what we want to do, it will suit us fine and the price is right now for getting back into boating. Who knows, I have been known to do a 180 right before a large purchase so we shall see. Plus the wife likes the idea of a smaller boat. You know what they say.....

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You can run the engines out of water long enough to cycle to the hours.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yep. What jaws said. The reason you don't want to run out of the water is due to lack of water for cooling. However it takes a while for the engine to get hot. Stay under 30 to 40 seconds and you are fine. Another option is to hook up a garden hose to the flush port.
Remember though
Engine on
Water on
Water off
Engine off
In that order.
If possible go for a test drive. Good luck and most importantly Welcome Aboard!

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Well the boat is a significant distance away. Owner says low hours (like new) and the boat looks it. Just wanted to make sure of a few things before possibly making the trip.

Thanks for all the replies so far :)

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome @CFD3Captain !

...and, thanks for selling me your boat a few years ago.

:D

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Welcome @CFD3Captain !

...and, thanks for selling me your boat a few years ago.

:D

HAHA! Hey Matt! How goes it? Sellers remorse here LOL. Just kidding man. Hope you are enjoying that boat! Did you get tower back on etc....? Send some pics to me

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's going great. Love it... we just don't get enough time on it. We just had a beautiful custom cover made for it, the tower is on, added a pair of Wet Sounds on the tower. Also some grip tape so my youngest can use it as a dive platform LOL. We're going to replace the HydroTurf with SeaDek from Will's group buy, and we're having all the vinyl redone over the winter.

After all that, I think the only mod left is to relocate to the FL gulf to extend the boating season... I can't stand having only three months of weekends!

I'll see if I can find some pics...

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome back @CFD3Captain. I say welcome back as most of the brain trust from the other site pulled anchor, drifted over here and set up this new, state of the art, site so you're back with friends. With regard to your boat choice...You don't have your location listed on your profile so I don't know if you'll be boating primarily in fresh or salt but if you'll be in salt water I would strongly suggest a twin engine model. I have a Honda Pilot with a 4500 lb tow rating and have no issues towing my SX230 so your 5000 lb capacity would certainly be no issue for a 230, 212 or 190 series boat. Whatever you decide on it will be a great family adventure.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know someone who was selling one near me; I'll check with her and see if she sold it and if not, get specs.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
:Welcome:... and never look back...

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Welcome aboard Nozzleman216, @CFD3Captain ! Like @Gym said, most of the daily or even weekly posters changed their home marina to here. Glad to have you here. Since we are a brand new forum, and still building a database, it is accepted that data on a given boat or model is less than the extensive amount at the other site. Problem is, if a guy has a question over there now, it may take days to get a reply, and most of the guys who wrote that data are here now, so it is a dead end. Sad, but we are trying to correct the deficiencies it posed and provide state of the art forum software at the same time. We are of the member, for the member, and by the member! Welcome aboard and help us build that 190/192 database. I don't want to sway you from your chosen direction, but search out 190/192 comparisons here, there is a performance difference between those two boats, but also a economy difference. And change your profile to indicate your location so you are added to the member map automatically. That way, questions, or hook ups with other members is easy! Once again, glad you found the herd!

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I have looked at the comparison of the two as far as economy goes. I guess it's a trade off for some of the upgrades, which I like, especially the powder coated tower. I guess I will do some more looking and maybe see if I can find some similar deals. I guess the main issue is the deal I am looking at is almost too hard to pass up

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I guess the main issue is the deal I am looking at is almost too hard to pass up
That is a definite player! Good luck on the search and purchase! You have a good many folks near your location, so once you get her, your going to find company! Glad to have you here, once again.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome @CFD3Captain glad to have you back. It's the same community just a different address. Good luck with your search for a new boat.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome.jpg
Glad you found us again! Glad to hear you are back in the game and glad to see that it worked out for @MOA_Chaser as well! That tower has been on quite the journey, but is back in the right place!