• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New from TX, looking to get my first Jet Boat!

override

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
Hello to all,

Wanted to poke my head in, say hi and introduce myself! I have been in the jet ski world for a few years, it all started back in 2012 when I rode my first jet ski, I bought one a week later. It has become an addition to my already long list of hobbies. In everything I do I usually like to buy used and restore/rebuild to like new, in my search for a boat I am reversing this methodology. I do not want to buy a boat that I need to sink a bunch of money into, in all my hobbies I like to find a forum to join to gain knowledge and try to make my stuff better than the factory could do it.

My current ski is up for sale as of today, she is a 2003 Yamaha XLT1200, restored from the crank up. I rebuilt the mechanical aspect the first year and in the off season did the hull and paint. I'll put some pics up of her when I purchased and after I restored....If anyone is interested in a good ski let me know!

I am into a range of hobbies - Motorcycles, skis, quads, dirtbikes and R/C everything! Anything that can get me active in the outdoors is enjoyable.

I am looking at Yamaha's, in particular the SX192/195, 212SS or 212X. I don't know what is considered fair pricing and in my area I have noticed a trend of 08-09 boats being in my affordable range but most (with the exception of a few sweet deals I missed) seem to be over priced. 22-25K is about what these boats have been sitting around, most need upholstery work and pretty much all still have a lean against them that the owner wants to get out of for a new purchase. I will be heading over to Canyon Lake today to view an 09 212SS priced at $22500.

Anyone who could give some advice on pricing or what to be aware of when looking will be appreciated! I already know to stay away from the TR-1 motors, which is disappointing as the SX/AR210 are the models that I see most often and more affordable.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello to all,

Wanted to poke my head in, say hi and introduce myself! I have been in the jet ski world for a few years, it all started back in 2012 when I rode my first jet ski, I bought one a week later. It has become an addition to my already long list of hobbies. In everything I do I usually like to buy used and restore/rebuild to like new, in my search for a boat I am reversing this methodology. I do not want to buy a boat that I need to sink a bunch of money into, in all my hobbies I like to find a forum to join to gain knowledge and try to make my stuff better than the factory could do it.

My current ski is up for sale as of today, she is a 2003 Yamaha XLT1200, restored from the crank up. I rebuilt the mechanical aspect the first year and in the off season did the hull and paint. I'll put some pics up of her when I purchased and after I restored....If anyone is interested in a good ski let me know!

I am into a range of hobbies - Motorcycles, skis, quads, dirtbikes and R/C everything! Anything that can get me active in the outdoors is enjoyable.

I am looking at Yamaha's, in particular the SX192/195, 212SS or 212X. I don't know what is considered fair pricing and in my area I have noticed a trend of 08-09 boats being in my affordable range but most (with the exception of a few sweet deals I missed) seem to be over priced. 22-25K is about what these boats have been sitting around, most need upholstery work and pretty much all still have a lean against them that the owner wants to get out of for a new purchase. I will be heading over to Canyon Lake today to view an 09 212SS priced at $22500.

Anyone who could give some advice on pricing or what to be aware of when looking will be appreciated! I already know to stay away from the TR-1 motors, which is disappointing as the SX/AR210 are the models that I see most often and more affordable.
Hi @override and welcome to the forum. Starting here was a great start as there is a lot of experrience on this forum. I can't be of any help with regard to pricing though I was curious about your remark about TR-1 motors. Do you mean MR-1 motors? If so they are considered to be pretty bullet proof motors found in older boats. I have two of them in my 2006 SX230 and have had no trouble with them. I'm sure some folks will chime in to help you out with pricing. Good luck on your search.

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome to the forums! Insane amount of information here.

override

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
Hi @override and welcome to the forum. Starting here was a great start as there is a lot of experrience on this forum. I can't be of any help with regard to pricing though I was curious about your remark about TR-1 motors. Do you mean MR-1 motors? If so they are considered to be pretty bullet proof motors found in older boats. I have two of them in my 2006 SX230 and have had no trouble with them. I'm sure some folks will chime in to help you out with pricing. Good luck on your search.
Yes I was meaning hte MR-1 motors, my bad on that...I was just barely understanding the difference of the MR-1/TR-1 and the MR-1 110hp vs 160hp engines. I test drove a 2012 AR190 today, was not impressed with the overall performance though. Very sluggish feeling and the boat seems way underpowered, conditions were windy and light chop.

Does anyone have any experience with the basic performance upgrades on these 1.8L N/A motors in the boats and what kind of difference they truly make? If I could get the speed and perfomance I had today but much more consistent and responsive I would jump on this boat. I think it's a good deal considering what all it comes with @ $21k.

Thanks!

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@override when folks talk of performance upgrades, it's usually to gain just a few mph. I'm not usually running full speed as fuel consumption significantly increases, so gaining 2, 3 or 5 mph is personally not important to me. If the boat feels sluggish, it might also be due to a problem with the impellers or wear rings.

BTW, not sure where you are in Texas, but what looks like a pretty nice 2012 AR210 just posted on CL today: https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/2012-yamaha-ar-210-twin/6619798875.html. This is going to have two of the 110hp MR-1s. Top speed should be in the 43 mph range.

-Greg

override

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
@override when folks talk of performance upgrades, it's usually to gain just a few mph. I'm not usually running full speed as fuel consumption significantly increases, so gaining 2, 3 or 5 mph is personally not important to me. If the boat feels sluggish, it might also be due to a problem with the impellers or wear rings.

BTW, not sure where you are in Texas, but what looks like a pretty nice 2012 AR210 just posted on CL today: https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/2012-yamaha-ar-210-twin/6619798875.html. This is going to have two of the 110hp MR-1s. Top speed should be in the 43 mph range.

-Greg
The boat didn't have any problems, it was well maintained and I went through it with a fine tooth comb...after getting some feedback on it from peeps here it just seems that the 190 doesn't have the "umph" I am looking for. The boat felt under-powered to me personally but then I am also used to the ski's I've owned. To compare - the ski I just sold in it's stock form was junk IMO, but several mods later it became an amazing running ski! That is what I was hoping the boats would be like, to just make them more efficient (the way they should be built from the get go) with some bolt on mods and a tune.

Thanks for the link! I have removed the 210 line from my choices, don't have a desire for the 110hp motors.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@override Welcome to the forum. I have the 160hp MR-1's in my AR230 and it is not sluggish. They are great boats and I top out at 48.8mph on GPS at 10,200 rpm's. Good ones can be found with low hours in the $18k- $22k range, depending on location and equipment installed. Dont turn a blind eye on these boats, they are reliable and easy to maintain.

override

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
@override Welcome to the forum. I have the 160hp MR-1's in my AR230 and it is not sluggish. They are great boats and I top out at 48.8mph on GPS at 10,200 rpm's. Good ones can be found with low hours in the $18k- $22k range, depending on location and equipment installed. Dont turn a blind eye on these boats, they are reliable and easy to maintain.
Thank you for the welcome, I haven't turned my sights away from the MR-1 HO motors, the plain Jain MR-1s are what I lost interest for. You are right on the money for pricing in the 08/09 range!