• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New guy from NY...

Tempest

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Just joined and looking to learn as much as I can before I make a mistake. Just thought I would say hello, never owned any boats but love the water and now is the time!!! Leaning towards a Glastron GT 187 but am desperate for advice! Thanks!

Last edited:

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @Tempest, We are happy to have you join. You will find a wealth of knowledge and advice here and some great guidance for your boat search. Good luck and keep us updated in your search.

Tempest

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
My family and I bought a weekend home in Southold NY this last year. Now that the renovations are winding down and it seems like we might actually get to spend some time there, the "boat" is calling out to me again. For the longest I had wanted a Scarab 195 but I find myself becoming attracted to the lines of the Glastron (my Mac keeps correcting to Plastron for some reason). I love that retro cool look versus the edginess of the Scarab and Chaparral.
I came upon this forum after discovering the whole Patrick debacle with the GT 187 (which scares the hell out of me) and now I'm thinking I should just get an inner tube... The last thing I need is to make a bad decision that could ruin the time spent with my family. We are situated on a large bay that leads to Shelter Island. Ideally, I'd like to use it for some day tripping and family excursions around the area.
It seems to me that a well equipped GT 187 still comes in under the cost of the Scarab 195 while still offering similar options and amenities. I thought that I wanted the 250hp Rotax but, am not sure on account of the mandatory rebuild vs the 200 hp non intercooler. I'd like the power and responsiveness I assume but, am not interested in the wake boarding tower etc... I have a friend that purchased a Super Air Nautique and I just cannot get into it. I'm not sure if I should be looking into a GT 207 for that matter either. I'd like something manageable that also won't take up too much of my backyard. Thanks for the welcome, I'm all ears!!!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am on LI and know your boating waters well. . . . . . have you ever been out on 19' out there? I only ask because I honestly think you should consider something larger than a 19' for that area. Not to mention that boats tend to shrink in water (metaphorically). Additionally, the concerns you cited which you found on Patrick's thread would keep me up at night too as I don't think they have been resolved. That said you could get a larger used boat with plenty of power and amenities in your price range, especially if you're willing to travel a bit.

My family and I bought a weekend home in Southold NY this last year. Now that the renovations are winding down and it seems like we might actually get to spend some time there, the "boat" is calling out to me again. For the longest I had wanted a Scarab 195 but I find myself becoming attracted to the lines of the Glastron (my Mac keeps correcting to Plastron for some reason). I love that retro cool look versus the edginess of the Scarab and Chaparral.
I came upon this forum after discovering the whole Patrick debacle with the GT 187 (which scares the hell out of me) and now I'm thinking I should just get an inner tube... The last thing I need is to make a bad decision that could ruin the time spent with my family. We are situated on a large bay that leads to Shelter Island. Ideally, I'd like to use it for some day tripping and family excursions around the area.
It seems to me that a well equipped GT 187 still comes in under the cost of the Scarab 195 while still offering similar options and amenities. I thought that I wanted the 250hp Rotax but, am not sure on account of the mandatory rebuild vs the 200 hp non intercooler. I'd like the power and responsiveness I assume but, am not interested in the wake boarding tower etc... I have a friend that purchased a Super Air Nautique and I just cannot get into it. I'm not sure if I should be looking into a GT 207 for that matter either. I'd like something manageable that also won't take up too much of my backyard. Thanks for the welcome, I'm all ears!!!

cabbie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Tempest,
Carefully consider the options available to determine the "true" cost of the boat. For example, I would choose the galvanized trailer option for the waters you will be boating. Also consider required maintenance for the power options. I bought my boat the first of August this past summer and have 74 hours accumulated. I'm glad that I'm not facing an expensive mandatory supercharger rebuild. My Yamaha included the YES extended warranty at no cost offering great peace of mind. Lots of things to think about when purchasing a new boat. Good Luck.

Cabbie

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board, advice, how about changing that avatar, it's freaking me out!

The most important thing you can do is to water test the boat you want to buy before hand.

It should accelerate and throw you back in your seat and it should steer straight, be happy with the performance before you sign the papers and if you notice something and the salesman says "it's normal, they all do that" ask us before you buy it,

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am on LI and know your boating waters well. . . . . . have you ever been out on 19' out there? I only ask because I honestly think you should consider something larger than a 19' for that area. Not to mention that boats tend to shrink in water (metaphorically). Additionally, the concerns you cited which you found on Patrick's thread would keep me up at night too as I don't think they have been resolved. That said you could get a larger used boat with plenty of power and amenities in your price range, especially if you're willing to travel a bit.
Agreed on the size. I had a SX190 on the Great South Bay and got tossed around a lot. I ended up with a 240. You will experience the same at your location.

Welcome aboard...

Tempest

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
We are situated smack at the beginning of the Shelter Island Sound just past the Great Peconic Bay. I've never seen it be anything other than smooth as glass but, I would like to be able to travel to the surrounding areas without issue. Obviously I must sound like I'm clueless, because I am... Any recommendations as to where I should be looking for year end leftovers or good reputable used ones? Anyone know what the cost of the supercharger rebuild would be on the Rotax 250 hp engine? If I were to go larger, I would not be looking to exceed 21ft. To be honest, I can't see more that 3-4 people ever coming on board anyway. Many thanks for for the welcome and the responses/guidance too!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Tempest - First of all, welcome aboard! Glad we can help you spend your money...er, I mean give advice.

I will say I highly recommend the 21' suggestion. We only have 3-4 on our boat as well, but even our 24' shrinks considerably with any chop in the water. I'm pretty sure you've already heard this, but remember: "Buy your second boat first."

Tempest

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Tempest - First of all, welcome aboard! Glad we can help you spend your money...er, I mean give advice.

I will say I highly recommend the 21' suggestion. We only have 3-4 on our boat as well, but even our 24' shrinks considerably with any chop in the water. I'm pretty sure you've already heard this, but remember: "Buy your second boat first."
Thank you for the reply and the recommendation. While I will definitely consider I think I still like the idea of the 187. I'm going to the nearest dealer on Wednesday to have look. I'm 99% certain that there is no boat in my horizon this year but that just gives me enough time to learn what I need to.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My thoughts on purchasing a boat: As other mentioned, buy your second boat first. I would also consider buying a lightly used pre-owned boat. In 2013, I bought my 2011 AR240 for $34.500 with 50 hours on it. I like the idea of saving $20,000 for 50 hours of usage. In addition, the summer season is short int he Northeast and it is difficult to justify the cost of a new boat given the limited usage. Finally, if you are going to go with a jet boat I would strongly suggest going with a Yamaha. The knowledge on this forum will keep your boat out of the shop and save you a ton of money. I have nothing against the Chaparral, Glastron or Scarab, but Yamaha owns the jetboat market and I suspect one or two of them will not be in this segment long. Best of luck.

Tempest

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I've been doing some research in between daily life and find it disturbing how a lot of these manufactures all have some degree of disappointment on purchases from $25-75K. How is this even remotely acceptable? Scarab has serious issues, Glastron, etc... Learning about a lot of these issues has certainly helped when I go speak to the dealer. I am definitely going to bring these up way ahead of any purchase and see what their policies are. There is no way that I am dropping that kind of money without any assurances (in writing).
I like many here am a business owner who is held to a high degree of performance and quality assurance, I absolutely expect the same from anyone that I deal with. I'm still attracted to the Glastrons the most but, hats off to Yamaha as they seem to be pretty rock solid from my limited exposure. Is it a lack of R&D in putting out a product without adequate vetting or something worse??? I can see how this can ruin the experience real quick...

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Don't listen to them......buy your third boat first! Lol
Good luck with what ever you decide.....time is on your side.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't listen to them......buy your third boat first! Lol
Good luck with what ever you decide.....time is on your side.
Time may indeed be on his side. . . . but that is a hell of an itch that most can't ignore. = )

Tempest

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

Tempest

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It has to wait however, completing the renovations and moving in is paramount. The boat is a "gift to self" that I want in order to further the enjoyment with my family and build memories. Which is also why I just can't accept taking a bath on a boat that has the potential to wreck the experience... I haven't always made the right decisions/moves, can't have this be one of them too.

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Another Long Islander here,
I have the 195 Scarab and for my boating needs its perfect, I didn't want something bigger for right now (more maintenance and etc) but I am always on the water with other boats and jetskis and whatnot so it works for me. If you decide to go the Scarab route, I have a great connection with the Marinemax in Huntington, my family has bought over 8 boats from the same salesmen, its the only reason why I went Scarab over Yamaha and I am glad I did because even with the little issues early on I absolutely love my boat.

Tempest

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I couldn't resist so I paid a visit to the area dealer. Definitely the model I want and I believe the right size too! I thought it was gorgeous. Will be going to the Jacob Javits boat show this January with the dealer and bringing one home! The salesman was extremely cool and laid back and took plenty of time to talk/educate me, in addition to listening to see if this was even what I should be looking at. Wife seems to have warmed up to the idea too. Going to be returning to the dealer with the family in tow for a demonstration in order to keep the interest high until then!!

Attachments