1. Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  2. After selling out of last years red and blue models, Eric Justason has ordered another round of Koozies. The new color options are Blue with Yellow Logo, Red with Black Logo and Yellow with Blue Logo. He is making them available for $1.25 each. You can order yours via his Order Form or you can discuss them in this Thread. All proceeds from Koozie sales go into future SWAG production and event sponsorship.

(Clicking the X in the top right hand corner will dismiss this notice).
    Dismiss Notice

New Guy - never owned a boat

Discussion in '2017 Yamaha Boats' started by Darin, May 18, 2017 at 2:47 PM.

1. OCMD

OCMD Jet Boat Junkie

Ratings:
    +430 / 4
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    Used 230; not 210. I am surprised noone has really chimed in hard about how easy these boats are to maintain and operate. Stress free. DO NOT BE AFRAID OF A USED YAMAHA BOAT. These boats are bulletproof. I bought my first Yamaha over 10 years ago - sight unseen just based on talking to the owner through a forum. When I realized I should have bought my 2d boat first, I picked up a pristine 230, from the other forum. This will be my fifth summer with the 230. Truly, all I ever do is turn the keys and go. Winterize over the winter (it gets cold in MD). Break it out in the summer....which reminds me I have to do this soon. Then again, I was thinking the other day, come July 31, all my kids will be away in college for their sports and NCAA compliance and all that nonsense.....JULY 31! WTF it gets earlier every season! I bet I get out on my boat 3 or 4 times this summer, if I am lucky. Might be time to sell. (Kidding) But for grins, if I sold mine I would easily get almost what I paid for it in 2013, $23,900, as it remains in perfect condition and under 150 hours. Why pay 80K and eat that depreciation? Get a nice used one, they are out there. A few weeks ago, I was the go between between Tollus (of this site) and my buddy, who bought his decked out 2007 SX230. I drove it, and determined it to be near perfect, and the two cut a fair deal right there on the water. My friend now has his TEN YEAR OLD bulletproof Yamaha on Lake Anna, for a little less than what I bought mine for, in 2013. Be advised that the older models are now holding (or perhaps slightly increasing) in their re-sale value, precisely because Yamaha has now outrageously priced their new models. For 80K I would expect a much better fit and finish than you get on a Yamaha. Not to knock the "bulletproof-ness" of these boats, as they are. But for 80K, Yamaha could certainly up the quality of the finish items of the boat. At 80K I would at least expect this.

2. OCMD

OCMD Jet Boat Junkie

Ratings:
    +430 / 4
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
  3. Matt Phillips

Matt Phillips Jet Boat Lover

Ratings:
    +208 / 1
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Limited S
    Boat Length:
    Definitely go with a 21 or 24 and get a tower model. My thought is that those two older boys will very soon want to bring friends along and you'll want the room of the larger models. And oh yeah, they will want to wake board becuse it's cool.

When I bought my first Yamaha in 2012, the boat came with a tower...It wasn't a requirement for me at the time. Well, it wasn't even a full season before we were wakeboarding and we do some sort of watersports every time we go out. Yes, that tower boat will be $2k Joe expensive, but it'll safe you the hassle down the road of wanting to add one.

Yamahas overall have good dependability and finding a used one may be an option. Whatever boat you decide on, we are here to help you out.

Also, since you're on a lake, you can likely store your boat in the lake. I put my boat into Lake Tahoe in June and it comes out every Labor Day. Yes, there are a few that the you need to do like ensure you always have power to your bilge pump (that's easy even without electricity internet the dock) and some extra scrubbing when she comes out in September. Some of the old timers around my area taught me some tricks and with 2-3 other helpers, we can get all of the growth off her and have her ready in about 90 minutes. If you go this route, PM me, and and I'll gladly help.

4. Wayloncle

Wayloncle Jetboaters Commander

Ratings:
    +1,158 / 8
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    I wouldn't worry about someone else's headache, I bought my '09 AR230 in 2013, and it hasn't had a single problem.
    I've always been the type that doesn't start off with a "starter" motorcycle/camper/boat I have always purchased what I think I will want for a long time.
    I have no regrets at all for not going new.

5. GoVols01

GoVols01 Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    X
    Boat Length:
    Something else to consider here is how mechanically inclined are you? Or, do you have time to troubleshoot and fix issues with your new toy?

I have, for the most part, fixed anything that's been wrong on any of the 5 boats I've owned, new or used. Heck, even my new Regal as well as my new '17 212x have / had issues I'll have to fix myself because going to the dealer for warranty work is a very involved process where you can leave your boat for weeks.

If not buying new, try to find a used boat that's still under warranty.

B.O.A.T = Break Out Another Thousand!