• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Here As Well

docb8456

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
So, just like many people here, I am new to the forum. I am currently trying to decide between a Yamaha 21 and 25 foot boat. I love the 212s and the 252s, but the wife is not thrilled about the 252s price point. She does like the fact that there is a space to put a toilet. Having not owned a boat since I was a kid in the late 70's, early 80's, obviously thinks are much different now. Memories of being stuck every July 4th and having to have the boat towed are lingering in my head so much, that I can't wait to "try again" without all of the issues we had in the past. Obviously, this is a big purchase and I was wondering if I could get some insight on people's thoughts between the 2 sizes. Is the difference worth the large price increase? Thanks all for your help.

FX195

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you mostly going to be on a lake or ocean? How many people will you normally have on board? These jetboats are pretty darn reliable, just follow the recommended service intervals/checks. I'm on my 3rd season, about 170 hrs with zero issues, saltwater use. I spend all my time out on ocean, when things/availability stabilize I will be looking to upgrade to a 250.

docb8456

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
we are a family of 4, but we would normally be out with about 6-10 total. All ocean/intracoastal waterway use. It is hard to try to judge from pictures what is best. Hopefully the dealers will soon get some in stock just to look at and compare. Thanks for the response.

lowd77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I usually have anywhere between 7 to 11 people on board and am glad I went with the 252. I recommend the 250....you won't regret it.

docb8456

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
So top model 212s vs AR 250, everyone suggests the larger boat vs the fancier features?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes go with the 25' do to where you boat and how many people you want to take.

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
will buying a 252 cause you a divorce? probably no, but buy the 212 and hear her complaint for ever that you should have gone bigger. now if you are stuck on the 70s and 80s then get a friend with a boat, you are coming at it with the wrong mentality.

docb8456

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
will buying a 252 cause you a divorce? probably no, but buy the 212 and hear her complaint for ever that you should have gone bigger. now if you are stuck on the 70s and 80s then get a friend with a boat, you are coming at it with the wrong mentality.
in mentioning the 70‘s and 80’s I was just stating that there was no technology to add interesting features, and most of the boats had similar features and quality of materials. Today there is more involved and I was just wondering what was more important to boaters of recent times….size of boat vs nicer amenities. I appreciate your input.

FX195

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
These boats already offer plenty of amenities even in entry level form, as nice as the features of the 252s are I know those boats will be out of my range $$, I focus on being out on the water as much as possible with decent tunes. The less electronics in boat the happier I will be since I do all my maintenance. When I do go shopping for one I will not even step foot inside 252 so I will never know what I'm missing . My .02

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
in mentioning the 70‘s and 80’s I was just stating that there was no technology to add interesting features, and most of the boats had similar features and quality of materials. Today there is more involved and I was just wondering what was more important to boaters of recent times….size of boat vs nicer amenities. I appreciate your input.
Some prefer nicer amenities some don't. There is no rule of thumb. Has to come down to want you want and how you personally are going to use the boat. Both boats will do the same thing, will take you to the same places, will allow you to swim in the same spots, pull the same tubes and wakeboards. Go to the same restaurants and visit the same islands.

The bigger boat can hold more passengers, has a different rear seats and step through and has a spot for a Head(Bathroom). It will also do better in bigger water and rougher conditions and has mentioned from owners a smoother ride. If I was in your spot I would buy a 25' boat.

Most importantly how much money you want to spend. Upgrades, higher and lower trim levels on boats, is all a perspective of what it means to you. If and when I upgrade to a bigger boat it would most likely be the AR250 or the 252/255 FSH. The higher trim levels on the 25' are very very nice, but the admiral and kids won't appreciate them, they just want to be on the water so no point in spending the money on them. You are going to be spending enough for add-ons, upgrades and modifications.

Seattle_Phaeton

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I understand about being towed in. I came from a 1992 22ft Chris Craft Sterndrive. Every summer out with the kids and we were being towed in. I went with the AR250 over the 252 or the 212. Gave up a few features vs the 252 and saved some $ but got more space than the 212. I don't regret going bigger. The 25 footer is a big boat if you go with it make sure you have place for it and the vehicle to tow it. Good luck.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Welcome!..With your planned setup as stated above..I would consider the 25. We have usually 4 to 6 on the 21 and that's about enough with coolers, towels, clothing, etc..We've done 8 to 10, it gets tight, especially moving people around for water sports. Unless its all adults, then its okay..lol
Good Luck!

docb8456

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
with all the great info you guys have given me, I think it will be the AR250 for us, thanks again all

BenjaminF

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
with all the great info you guys have given me, I think it will be the AR250 for us, thanks again all
I was like you except the 252 was out of budget. For us it was 212s or AR250. Following the recommendations on the forum we decided to go with the 250. We don't regret it. It is an awesome boat even if it doesn't have all the nice features of the 212s or 252s. You can still upgrade a lot of it later on. It's a big boat as stated above. You need to make sure you can tow and store easily. What a difference few feet can make. We just made our maiden voyage yesterday and we are first boat owner so take my advise with a grain of salt.

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
So, just like many people here, I am new to the forum. I am currently trying to decide between a Yamaha 21 and 25 foot boat. I love the 212s and the 252s, but the wife is not thrilled about the 252s price point. She does like the fact that there is a space to put a toilet. Having not owned a boat since I was a kid in the late 70's, early 80's, obviously thinks are much different now. Memories of being stuck every July 4th and having to have the boat towed are lingering in my head so much, that I can't wait to "try again" without all of the issues we had in the past. Obviously, this is a big purchase and I was wondering if I could get some insight on people's thoughts between the 2 sizes. Is the difference worth the large price increase? Thanks all for your help.
Go big or GO HOME!!!!

docb8456

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
So, the local dealers must be too busy to even respond to my inquiries about the Ar250. Yet, other brand dealers are giving discounts to take possession of their boats. I chose to get a jet boat due to the safety and the space, but if there is going to be a long delay, should I look at other boat types? What is it that has made you all JB "people"?

docb8456

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I guess what I'm asking, is it worth the wait, and if so, what are some of your thoughts on why?

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
So, the local dealers must be too busy to even respond to my inquiries about the Ar250. Yet, other brand dealers are giving discounts to take possession of their boats. I chose to get a jet boat due to the safety and the space, but if there is going to be a long delay, should I look at other boat types? What is it that has made you all JB "people"?
We like the pain and suffering. JK. Our boat we have ordered will be our first Jet Boat and our first boat over 16 feet. I think what makes me a JB guy is the community. I also like the use of the 8’ 6” beam.