• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New jet boat owner 08 AR 230

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Howdy all from Iowa.

Just bought an 08 AR 230 at Oak View Marina in Arnolds Park, IA (Lake Okoboji). Highly recommend them as they gave us a deal (trailer included), they are storing it for free, and they will take us out for a ride to make sure everything is working properly in late April. We didn’t want to wait until spring to buy because used boats will be expensive and new boats are backordered! We switched from prop to jet bcuz of reliability and we were tired of worrying about the prop on the back with our 3 year old daughter, as well as our friends. I’m also mechanically inclined and the Yamaha looked to be second to none when it comes to working on them yourself, IMHO.

Just wanting some quick tips as I learn to drive this boat come spring time! It has cobra fins, sadly I don’t believe these are compatible with the jet boat lateral thrusters. We looking for a good Bimini top as it did not come with one, any links or websites please! Also we are wanting to get a couple wake tower speakers, what speaker/amp combo is the most budget friendly? We don’t need a ton of bump but would like some great sound, it already has 4 wet sounds speaks in the boat so that’s nice!

Thanks in advance, it is amazing how big of a community there is on here!
C2AC1416-1980-45FA-B324-A82AFBDFE752.jpeg

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hi! :Welcome: to the Forum!!! Tons of great stuff, info, ideas and best place to learn how to spend your $$. Members here are fantastic with a wealth of knowledge. There are members here with your exact boat that I'm sure will chime in.

If you have any concerns or questions about the Cobra Fins, @Cobra Jet Steering LLC will help and support you.

Wet Sounds speakers is what I have and they're top of the line speakers. They should be driven with an amp to give you more sound. I'd suggest getting a sub with an amp to give you the added punch. Check out Creative Audio website for deals (their refurb stuff is awesome).

I'm sure others will chime in and offer their support. Please post pics of boating as we love pics. Again, welcome to the forum!!!

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
:Welcome::Welcome::Welcome:Congrats on the new boat! From all I have read, the 230 is one of the best choices for a used boat. I came from a stern drive and have never looked back. You will love it!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Howdy all from Iowa.

Just bought an 08 AR 230 at Oak View Marina in Arnolds Park, IA (Lake Okoboji). Highly recommend them as they gave us a deal (trailer included), they are storing it for free, and they will take us out for a ride to make sure everything is working properly in late April. We didn’t want to wait until spring to buy because used boats will be expensive and new boats are backordered! We switched from prop to jet bcuz of reliability and we were tired of worrying about the prop on the back with our 3 year old daughter, as well as our friends. I’m also mechanically inclined and the Yamaha looked to be second to none when it comes to working on them yourself, IMHO.

Just wanting some quick tips as I learn to drive this boat come spring time! It has cobra fins, sadly I don’t believe these are compatible with the jet boat lateral thrusters. We looking for a good Bimini top as it did not come with one, any links or websites please! Also we are wanting to get a couple wake tower speakers, what speaker/amp combo is the most budget friendly? We don’t need a ton of bump but would like some great sound, it already has 4 wet sounds speaks in the boat so that’s nice!

Thanks in advance, it is amazing how big of a community there is on here!
View attachment 139946
if you send me a picture of the set your boat has on it I can let you know what parts you need to make them compatible however I have an upgrade called the super fangs that goes under the nozzle, it captures the water exiting the bottom of your nozzles when the boat is in reverse, these special forward leading fins capture and direct MORE of the reverse thrust rather than reduce it therefore putting it to work for better reverse power in wind waves and strong currents as well as for better stopping and for better real reverse steering , plus they also provide a power steering effect and increase the steering input in forward and reverse , that complete system for both nozzles is only $220 Or $169 if your base plates already have the 4 small mounting holes .

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
And @Cobra Jet Steering LLC makes the Fins you have on your boat if that was not clear yet.

One humble recommendation on an upgrade you can make is an additional and more powerful bilge pump, along with a bilge alarm. It's not a sexy accessory but one that gives you piece of mind and a fighting change if there is ever a water intrusion problem.

Welcome! and Enjoy your boat!!! Looks awesome!

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
if you send me a picture of the set your boat has on it I can let you know what parts you need to make them compatible however I have an upgrade called the super fangs that goes under the nozzle, it captures the water exiting the bottom of your nozzles when the boat is in reverse, these special forward leading fins capture and direct MORE of the reverse thrust rather than reduce it therefore putting it to work for better reverse power in wind waves and strong currents as well as for better stopping and for better real reverse steering , plus they also provide a power steering effect and increase the steering input in forward and reverse , that complete system for both nozzles is only $220 Or $169 if your base plates already have the 4 small mounting holes .
I will have to get back to you when we get our boat come April, thank you for reaching out, I will most likely upgrade if they aren't the best cobras already! :thumbsup:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I will have to get back to you when we get our boat come April, thank you for reaching out, I will most likely upgrade if they aren't the best cobras already! :thumbsup:
ok no problem

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 230 and my buddy has one too. He's got huge fins on it and i couldn't even notice a difference driving his, and i have at least a few hours driving his boat. I put lateral thrusters on mine and it made a big difference in reverse control. I highly recommend them. My next mod is perfect pass speed control. It might be worth replacing the scupper fitting that is known to break.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 230 and my buddy has one too. He's got huge fins on it and i couldn't even notice a difference driving his, and i have at least a few hours driving his boat. I put lateral thrusters on mine and it made a big difference in reverse control. I highly recommend them. My next mod is perfect pass speed control. It might be worth replacing the scupper fitting that is known to break.
Thanks for the advice, I already told the marina I want the scupper replaced before we pick it up in April; and ya definitely still wanting to install lateral thrusters someday for sure!

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You will love this boat! In my opinion, 07-10 year vintage boats with the bullet proof MR-1 HO engines were best in class in their time and still feature to feature stand very well with any 24' open bow Yamaha has put out in the Market.

A couple of things I would recommend after years of experience boating (AR230 '07)?

Learn how to repair and take care (clean and wax-not bottom of the hull) of the fiberglass. Youtube and this Forum is a great source for info.

Another would be get a good Mooring cover. They are getting hard to come by these days.

blamphere

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Nice looking boat. Welcome