• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Member / New 2015 242 LS Owner / Vero Beach, FL

dan_hoog

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hello,

I have been lurking for a couple years as I contemplated and then planned a boat purchase. I recently purchased a new 2015 242 Limited S. I've only got about 4 hours so far, but enjoying it.

This is my first boat. We rented about five times to get a feel for boating and see if the family liked it, and we did. I liked the convenience of renting, but not getting a different boat each time, having to drive to the marina (we have a lift in the small marina in our community), and the concept of scheduled boating. A prep/cleanup crew is nice thought ;-).

So far, I find the new 242, with its new keel and rudder (aka Articulating Keel), handles as good or better than the boats we rented, at both high and docking speeds. I've never driven other jet boats, so I can compare to earlier years. The rentals were all outboards, 21-24 feet, deck boats or bow riders. There was a smaller key west that handled the best, while a 24 foot deck boat handled like I expected the jet boat to perform -- demonstrating a disoriented mind of its own at lower speeds. I'm sure my lack of skill is a factor, but the deck boat didn't help. I don't have that out of control feeling with the Yamaha -- though still tricky and need to learn.

I've learned a lot from the postings here already and look forward to participating more, as I gain some experience to share.

Best,
Dan

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Welcome @dan_hoog ... and congrats on that new boat!!

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome and congratulations on the boat, I'm sure you will love it!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard and very nice choice of boat!

David D

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Welcome -- nice looking boat!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome and congrats on your new boat. Looks great, glad you're loving it so far.

Edward

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome and congrats. Nice looking boat!

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes. Welcome. I look forward to hearing about your journeys in the years to come.

lddv1224

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@dan_hoog Welcome Aboard! Remember No Wake Mode is your friend at idle and slow speeds.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@dan_hoog -- :Welcome:

Bring your questions here, you will get the answers you need. Enjoy your beautiful new Yamaha!

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats - great choice of boats.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Welcome....good luck with your new boat!!:winkingthumbsup"

dan_hoog

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for all the good wishes. So far, it's going great. I've had 5 outings and now it's about time for the 10 hour maintenance. I'll probably take it to the dealer. I'd also like have a secondary bilge pump added, purely for safety -- pulling from the deepest bilge point, as my main drain plug is rarely removed since its on a lift.

I think everything works well, though I usually can't get one or both engines up to 7500 RPMS and only upper 40s in speed. As long is everything is working, it's not an issue. Not sure if its ICW water conditions, passenger loading, throttle cable adjustments, bimini top up (not every time, though), etc. I've looked in the clean out / impeller area and see a little scarring/scratching, but nothing seems to be stuck in there.

Great fun for the family so far and we love it. So far, no injuries and no scratches on the boat... though I'm sure there are scratches yet to come...

Best,
Dan

p.s., This is a really great forum.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@dan_hoog sorry to bring back an old thread, I just joined and live south of you in PSL. Just wondering how you like the boat still and if you ventured out of the ICW yet? I'm on a jet ski now and looking to upgrade just hard to find people in a jet boat down this way. Thanks for any feedback!

Andy

dan_hoog

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@2nazt, I appreciate the question.

We've had the 242LS over 6 months and are still enjoy whenever we can - most weekends. We've had no issues so far. The boat seems exactly like I expected, even as a first boat owner. It's built well for the price level and seems to be holding up to being on the intracoastal all the time (on the water or a lift). I do a complete, but quick, brush down with Woody Wax after each outing. I also flush each engine with west marine's salt-away clone (has PTEN, which I prefer) for 1 minute plus 4 clear water after each outing. I spray the rear jet area with the salt-away like mix and rinse as well. All of the mechanical stuff has stayed quite clean looking. I did have the boat detailed and treated with wax/t-9/etc at time of purchase.

One time I spotted lots of floating weeds on the water and we avoided it. I might have hit a small amount that day and cavitated briefly, but it seemed to pass through without issue. I've had no need to use the clean out ports in 20+ outings, but I'm glad I have them.

I really like the low draft, although be careful to use only low throttle at low speeds without good clearance. The engines are a powerful vacuum, which is no problem with 3+ feet beneath the boat, or at speed. I had a close call where I think I churned a bunch of bottom sand/grit up. When I rented prop boats before buying, I lightly grounded the skeg/prop assembly a couple of times, which is no fun either. The experienced captain who gave me training did it himself once. The ICW area has lots of shallow areas very close to the fully dredged channel.

I've added the latest thrust vectors, but don't feel that much difference in low speed handling. If the articulating keel wasn't already there, I think the TVs would be essential. For my boat, I think it is about the same as single outboards I'd rented in low speed handling. I'm limited by my experience, not the handling of the boat. An experienced boat captain, with no jetboat experience, had no trouble handling the boat...

I still haven't tried the ocean yet. On a good day, in calm conditions, with an experienced co-captain on board, I'll try in the future.

In summary, I still feel good about the purchase. My preferences may shift over time, but they haven't yet. Unless your area has frequent weeds near the surface, I think this is a great all around boat for the ICW.

Happy to discuss by PM or voice if you'd like more color.

All the Best,
Dan

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@dan_hoog thank you so much and i will take you up on the offer and PM you in the future with more questions, I'm trying to find time to get to a dealer and see one in person, and get on the boat at some point! very exciting times