• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New nozzles for 2019 Yamaha Jet boats

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Can anyone say if the change on the nozzles from the 2018 and earlier models to the 2019 models made a big difference in reverse maneuvering. I recently sold a 18' 212 LS and purchased a 19' 242 LS E. and being in NJ, prevents me from any personal say on the difference for at least two more months. I can hardly wait for the first time in the water in the new boat. Thanks in advance for any insights/ experiences.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Believe 2019 is the first year for factory lateral thrusters. So, I'm gonna go with, yeah, there should be a difference.

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm hoping that the change is comparable to the upgrades that "Jet Boat Pilot" has been producing for all the 2018 and older models. Maybe "Will" can make a video of the comparison.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I'm hoping that the change is comparable to the upgrades that "Jet Boat Pilot" has been producing for all the 2018 and older models. Maybe "Will" can make a video of the comparison.

Here is what @JetBoatPilot had to say in a different thread about the new 2019 split jet nozzles for what its worth.
I test drove a new boat with them installed and though I think Lateral Thrusters are marginally better the factory setup is very good. They will do well with it and I doubt you'll hear much complaining about reverse control anymore.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes 2019 models have significantly more reverse maneuverability due to the Lateral thrust reverse buckets. I think you'll find the improvement quite good!

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Very cool, and thank you, I was very happy with the handling of the 2018 212 limited S, I can't wait now to get the new 242 out on the water. Longer boat, but maybe the new design will help it handle like the shorter 212 from 2018.

seventyeight

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, according to what I have heard so far, the new design seems to offer improved maneuverability over previous model years.

Now, can the parts (nozzle and bucket) from a 2019 MY can be installed on my 2017?? :)

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So, according to what I have heard so far, the new design seems to offer improved maneuverability over previous model years.

Now, can the parts (nozzle and bucket) from a 2019 MY can be installed on my 2017?? :)
According to my sources you can retrofit any Yamaha with the new nozzles however you'll save money and get better reverse control if you purchase Lateral Thrusters.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
it will be interesting to see reports once people are out there more

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
it will be interesting to see reports once people are out there more
Keep in mind that one major benefit of Cobra fins, “down-at-speed”, besides obviously improved steering at speed (very sharp with no side sliding and much faster recovery coming out of turns) is that you retain a degree of steerability of your boat even when you lose thrust.

There have been many occasions I was very glad I had the fins down at speed.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Keep in mind that one major benefit of Cobra fins, “down-at-speed”, besides obviously improved steering at speed (very sharp with no side sliding and much faster recovery coming out of turns) is that you retain a degree of steerability of your boat even when you lose thrust.

There have been many occasions I was very glad I had the fins down at speed.

Is this a Cobra fin only thing or do the JBP fins do that as well? I'm trying to think about the future changes I'll want once I get to know my new boat.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is this a Cobra fin only thing or do the JBP fins do that as well? I'm trying to think about the future changes I'll want once I get to know my new boat.
I would most definitely recommend starting with nothing at all. Otherwise how would you know what to compare anything else with? Lol

And then just see what do you like or dislike about your new jet boat. These boats handle quite different as compared to traditional boats with props, although those differences are getting smaller and smaller with the new keeled hulls.

Cobra fins are the only ones that are designed to be run down at speed. So if that is important to you, that’s your only option.

Both vendors provide outstanding customer service, so no worries there.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
yeah that's what I mean by getting to know my boat. I plan to run her stock for at least one full season, then go from there.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
yeah that's what I mean by getting to know my boat. I plan to run her stock for at least one full season, then go from there.
And you may end up like me and never found the need for fins. I had no problem putting my boat where I wanted it to go with no fins at all. I think the lateral thrusters would be nice for the added reverse control though.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I posted this in another thread regarding mods to new boats I believe it applies here also.
Every year we have a new jet boating class so to speak this year is the class of 2019, The site does not usually loose information so often if you do a search of a subject you will find years of information at your fingertips.
Now when it comes to some subjects there is the a section called members tips and ideas , you can peruse that section as well.
I will offer the same advice I always offer when it comes to choosing what steering mods to consider, DRIVE THE BOAT as it CAME FROM THE FACTORY.
Learn how it responds in calm water, rough water, wind, heavy boat traffic areas in no wake zones, with passengers and without, in forward and reverse use the reverse stopping feature and the turning during fast deceleration to avoid a hazard test. Best to know the response and effectiveness or lack there of for those features before you need them in a split second.
On twin throttle boats use the staggered control feature to move the back of the boat in to the dock or rotate it in place with the boat completely stock and learn how this is a big benefit of owning a twin engine twin control boat.
On Articulating keel boats there are more things to consider forget what you were told and form your own opinions based on first hand experience.
While you are accumulating seat time at the helm and developing your own opinions under your boating conditions use the search and tip features on this site to address any shortcomings that you feel are important to you.

geohil

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just to play devils advocate for running a season without fins....this is what made me get Cobras ASAP for my second season. Docking with a cross-wind. No fins, no thrust, no steering. IMG_6658.JPG

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
ouch

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just to play devils advocate for running a season without fins....this is what made me get Cobras ASAP for my second season. Docking with a cross-wind. No fins, no thrust, no steering. View attachment 86633
When it comes to adding steering on the newer style articulating keel boats you have to understand that the center keel makes the boat resist steering input , the keel wants to keep the boat on course in a straight line .
The rudder is big but it trails behind the keel so it is not as responsive as it could be and on plane it is partially out of the water.
Also the helm was geared down to about twice the travel in the wheel as opposed to the regular jet boats so you need to turn the steering wheel twice as much to move the nozzles the same distance as a non keel model.
This gearing makes the wheel feel easier to turn but it does nothing to reduce the actual resistance on the rudder and the right side nozzle so one half of the equation is doing the majority of the work on a stock setup.
My experience has shown me that steering cables work better pushing and break easier pulling .
For that reason I add a second tie rod to my steering systems for the A K models . This pushes and pulls from boat nozzles and cables.
My steering fins are positioned on the outer surface of the nozzles in direct contact with the water exiting the bottom of the boat. So they work all the time.
I make adjustments on the steering fins so the boat owner can decide exactly how much influence the fins will add to the existing system.
Also understand that when the boat is on plane the rudder is partially out of the water behind the keel so you don't get the full benefit of the entire rudder surface.
The real danger is when you rapidly decelerate and try to turn to avoid a collision etc. the boat will just go wherever it wants to go and you have no control or if the engines stall you have no control.
So adding my system solves these problems and now I even have more off plane steering with my new super fins.
There is a picture posted on this web site that I just love, it shows the back of a 24 foot A K boat taken by a member here I apologize that I do not recall the person who posted it but the picture says it all as to exactly what is going on with the rudder and nozzles when the boat is on plane.
this is the picture .

In any event there is a wealth of information on this web site .
Also since this thread was asking about the new nozzles for 2019 being better in reverse I would guess that to be true. Honestly the people talking to me are not all that impressed and sadly I don't have any mega fangs for those or vipers etc . All I could do is make the super steering with more low speed influence .
However the good news is with any twin engine jet boat that has separate controls one of the big handling benefits for docking is placing one of those separate controls in forward and one in reverse, once you do some familiarization with that trick you can move the back of the boat sideways in place or even rotate the boat in place with NO additional equipment required. New nozzle or not! So do your research and use the search feature on here.
And don't rush into buying any mods without making sure they are what YOU need for YOUR boating style.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
And you may end up like me and never found the need for fins. I had no problem putting my boat where I wanted it to go with no fins at all. I think the lateral thrusters would be nice for the added reverse control though.
You can confidently back into a narrow opening from 200 yards with how it comes from the factory? I damn near found it impossible.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You can confidently back into a narrow opening from 200 yards with how it comes from the factory? I damn near found it impossible.
No, but I never found my self in a situation where I would have to perform a maneuver like that. I kept my boat in my slip forward facing so never backed in. Backing out was no problem. Now if I had to back in to situations like you're describing then yeah, it would be a pain in the ass in stock form.