• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New owner of a 2003 SR230

robertr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
HI everyone, just got me a 2003 SR230, she needs some cleaning and tlc, trailer need some love, but the hull is good, gelcoat will shine when buffed, and the engines start right up, so far, its all stuff that I can fix for the most part on my own. Have a quick question, can someone give the length of the engine hatch strut rods, mine are shot, I dont have the boat near me right now and would like to get some locally here for tomorrow when I go work on her. I believe 2003-2006 are all the same from what I've read

thanks guys, will post some pics of the boat when I get a chance, lots of info and knowledge on this board!

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m at work, or I’d help out....

Welcome to the forum!! And best of luck! These are wonderful boats!

robertr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I’m at work, or I’d help out....

Welcome to the forum!! And best of luck! These are wonderful boats!
thanks bud, no problem, would like to hear about your complete upholstery done by you or some pics whenever you get a chance, thanks

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board,
update your profile with your location so we know where you're at,

do you have the 2 stroke or mr1 engines?

I unfortunately don't know the answer to your strut question,

robertr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
some pics, and a pic of the small area that quickly buffed and came to life

Attachments

robertr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board,
update your profile with your location so we know where you're at,

do you have the 2 stroke or mr1 engines?

I unfortunately don't know the answer to your strut question,
thanks Scott, location updated, they are MR1s

so far and after doing my research my list is

oil and filter change
spark plugs
clean out plugs rebuild kits, plugs are stuck of course
cobra clean out plug locks
fix fuel gage
fix speedometer
radio doesnt work but its all original and will probably be changed out
its got a new scupper valve but its plastic, will probably change to stainless
trailer needs new leaf springs and tires and one beam fixed
steering is a little hard so may need new cables
throttle are super smooth
reverse bucket goes down
engines start right up
compression is good
I have YDIS , no codes
the list will grow of course

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

robertr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
how many hours did the YDS indicate ?

if you think the boat was used in salt water and don't know the history you may at least pull the thermostat or anode on the engine to see how it looks,

depending on what you find you may be proactive and do a crankygypsy closed loop flush to get a good starting point,

379 hours, good tip, will definately pull t stat and see how it looks, thats a great link, thanks

how many hours can these engines typically last if not abused and taken care of?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
no reason not to expect 600 easy, if not 1k or more,

be aware there are three different mr1 engines, be sure you know your CC and HP,

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Jet Boat Pilot had the cheapest Yamaha oil change kits that I could find. Be wary of where you get spark plugs, there are crappy knock offs that look virtually identical to the real NGK's... get them from a reputable source, not random ebay/amazon source. The knockoff electrodes have been known to break off in the combustion chamber, and wipe out cylinders. Not common, but not worth the risk. Fuel gauge - you're welcome to do what you want, but I replaced my factory one with a KUS sending unit, part number 220872300. It matched the Ohms, length, bolt pattern, etc, I just had to cut the electrical plug off the original, and wire it up to the KUS unit. I wouldn't trust a plastic scupper under water, even if it's a newer plastic one. Look on your steering cables, there should be a Seastar part number within a few feet of the end under the helm. The last two digits are the length. Google search the part numbers for the best deal. My engines have 300 hrs, I've *heard* of people getting 1-2k hrs on these engines. Obviously, anything man-made can have problems, but from what I've gathered, the MR-1 engine is very reliable.

Edit: beware your steering cables will be two different lengths, unless your 03 is different than my 06

robertr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
no reason not to expect 600 easy, if not 1k or more,

be aware there are three different mr1 engines, be sure you know your CC and HP,
awesome, pretty sure these are the 140hp ones but will double check

thanks Scott

robertr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Jet Boat Pilot had the cheapest Yamaha oil change kits that I could find. Be wary of where you get spark plugs, there are crappy knock offs that look virtually identical to the real NGK's... get them from a reputable source, not random ebay/amazon source. The knockoff electrodes have been known to break off in the combustion chamber, and wipe out cylinders. Not common, but not worth the risk. Fuel gauge - you're welcome to do what you want, but I replaced my factory one with a KUS sending unit, part number 220872300. It matched the Ohms, length, bolt pattern, etc, I just had to cut the electrical plug off the original, and wire it up to the KUS unit. I wouldn't trust a plastic scupper under water, even if it's a newer plastic one. Look on your steering cables, there should be a Seastar part number within a few feet of the end under the helm. The last two digits are the length. Google search the part numbers for the best deal. My engines have 300 hrs, I've *heard* of people getting 1-2k hrs on these engines. Obviously, anything man-made can have problems, but from what I've gathered, the MR-1 engine is very reliable.
thanks, I did get the oil change kits from JBP, got the spark pugs from local store down here, good info on the fuel gage, i have to make sure what the issue is and if its the gage, will definately look at that KUS unit, SS Scupper valve ordered, gonna check the cables and see whats up
thank you

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

robertr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Maybe I’m too late, but here goes: my shocks for the engine hatch are 27” fully extended, top to bottom. About a 9” stroke. B528155A-FB46-445B-8C97-5A908560EE48.jpeg541976DC-751F-41B4-9CE4-C90925A60AC1.jpeg

robertr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length

Holy Smokes

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I have a new set of the hatch struts that I bought earlier this year because I thought mine were shot. That was in February. Turns out it was just too cold here in the midwest and now my original one's work fine. Let me know if you're interested in buying.

robertr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I have a new set of the hatch struts that I bought earlier this year because I thought mine were shot. That was in February. Turns out it was just too cold here in the midwest and now my original one's work fine. Let me know if you're interested in buying.
message sent, havent had any luck finding anything here locally

robertr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
couple of questions

so I have 127 hours on one engine and 257 on the other, could this mean they changed the ecm at one point, is there a way to check if these are the original engines, read off the ydis, the ecm ID number show the same for both engines on the ydis screen

what is normal operating temps for these engines running them at home with the garden hose connected, is water supposed to come out the starboard ports when on the garden hose or is only when on water, one engine got to 208 before I shut if off

thanks

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, sounds like she’s had an engine and/or ECU replacement at some point.

not sure of actual operating temps, maybe someone can chime in with that, but you likely won’t see water coming out any of the side ports. Just not enough pressure/volume on the hose.