• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Owner - Starting Down the Installation / Mod Trail / Learning Curve

WTScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Just picked up my 2016 FSH 190 Deluxe on Thursday at Lafayette Power Sports and hauled it home. Dropped it in the water on Friday afternoon and got the break-in time / procedure out of the way and enjoyed putting around the lake and getting to know the new boat a little bit. After making sure the lift at the lake was ok we hauled it back home and it is in the driveway to work on this week. One concern is that I did pick a couple of gallons of bilge water in a couple of hours and will be looking for that source - is this normal?

I have been studying up on the boat on the web and mostly this forum for a couple of weeks and have really learned a lot. Thanks to all for the input and information from the group. It is invaluable to get a great head start on the learning curve.

I sold my 2004 Triton FS21 and think we are going to enjoy the new layout of the CC and the jet drive. Our part (the north) of Lake Livingston is pretty shallow and stumpy so any advantage we can get is appreciated. This will be our everyday utility / fishing / etc boat as the old Malibu is used mostly for skiing and tubing / more people.

I installed the thrust vectors last night and am working on the console organizer and installation of a Lowrance Elite 7 Ti on the top shelf. It looks like the stock mount will work perfectly and let it pivot to see it from the front or back. I have an Ulterra Riptide 80 60" arriving on Tuesday and am currently doing the dance on how and where to put the trolling motor and batteries. Again lots of good information and advice but no decision yet except the batteries will be up front most likely with two chargers - one forward and one back - I have power at lift so easy to plug in two versus running the wires for a four bank. Currently leaning towards mounting the batteries under the seat post between the two forward hatches - maybe even offset to starboard to even out back batteries.

I am struggling with the location of the totalscan transducer and would like to get the best shot possible. I have seen the transom mounts and indications are that the blocking by the motor and keel is not too bad. Also saw the tricky mount on the bottom plate of the motor behind the inlet grate - that would be ideal for coverage but I am worried about vibration and turbulence although getting an image at speed is not crucial. One idea is a bottom mount on the flat area in front of the intake - any ideas / experience on this?

The next thing I am working on is determining which Seadek color - light or storm gray - to pick for the floor and transom. Any comments or suggestions? It stinks that I missed the group buy but that the story of my life. Also, found out after I ordered the organizer that there is a group buy next month on this!

Again, thanks for the great forum and I look forward to learning and maybe contributing a bit down the line.

Last edited:

venicebrian

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I don't have any answers for you but I have some of the same questions so I'm following.

I have the 16 sport so it's gray.. I have the gray sea deck and it's pretty amazing!
I don't know which would be better with yours.. it hink they're both fine.

WTScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
@venicebrian - So you have the cool gray or the storm gray? It looks like on the JetBoatPilot site that the Cool Gray is only available in the embossed / pebble and the storm gray is in the brushed - at least the best I can tell. Any experience on cleaning or wear? Thanks

venicebrian

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@venicebrian - So you have the cool gray or the storm gray? It looks like on the JetBoatPilot site that the Cool Gray is only available in the embossed / pebble and the storm gray is in the brushed - at least the best I can tell. Any experience on cleaning or wear? Thanks
This is my boat.. not sure the color.. I didn't choose it.. I bought jetboatpilot show boat..

Picked it up Thursday.

Not sure about the wear as I've only owned it 3 days.
It was easy enough to clean with a soft brush broom and some soapy water.

Attachments

190 fsh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Just picked up my 2016 FSH 190 Deluxe on Thursday at Lafayette Power Sports and hauled it home. Dropped it in the water on Friday afternoon and got the break-in time / procedure out of the way and enjoyed putting around the lake and getting to know the new boat a little bit. After making sure the lift at the lake was ok we hauled it back home and it is in the driveway to work on this week. One concern is that I did pick a couple of gallons of bilge water in a couple of hours and will be looking for that source - is this normal?

I have been studying up on the boat on the web and mostly this forum for a couple of weeks and have really learned a lot. Thanks to all for the input and information from the group. It is invaluable to get a great head start on the learning curve.

I sold my 2004 Triton FS21 and think we are going to enjoy the new layout of the CC and the jet drive. Our part (the north) of Lake Livingston is pretty shallow and stumpy so any advantage we can get is appreciated. This will be our everyday utility / fishing / etc boat as the old Malibu is used mostly for skiing and tubing / more people.

I installed the thrust vectors last night and am working on the console organizer and installation of a Lowrance Elite 7 Ti on the top shelf. It looks like the stock mount will work perfectly and let it pivot to see it from the front or back. I have an Ulterra Riptide 80 60" arriving on Tuesday and am currently doing the dance on how and where to put the trolling motor and batteries. Again lots of good information and advice but no decision yet except the batteries will be up front most likely with two chargers - one forward and one back - I have power at lift so easy to plug in two versus running the wires for a four bank. Currently leaning towards mounting the batteries under the seat post between the two forward hatches - maybe even offset to starboard to even out back batteries.

I am struggling with the location of the totalscan transducer and would like to get the best shot possible. I have seen the transom mounts and indications are that the blocking by the motor and keel is not too bad. Also saw the tricky mount on the bottom plate of the motor behind the inlet grate - that would be ideal for coverage but I am worried about vibration and turbulence although getting an image at speed is not crucial. One idea is a bottom mount on the flat area in front of the intake - any ideas / experience on this?

The next thing I am working on is determining which Seadek color - light or storm gray - to pick for the floor and transom. Any comments or suggestions? It stinks that I missed the group buy but that the story of my life. Also, found out after I ordered the organizer that there is a group buy next month on this!

Again, thanks for the great forum and I look forward to learning and maybe contributing a bit down the line.
Mounting the transducer to the ride plate is the easiest and it will read at full throttle

WTScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Mounting the transducer to the ride plate is the easiest and it will read at full throttle
@190 fsh - Have you done this on your boat yet? Do you have any pictures?

Thanks

190 fsh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
You may want to check the settings in your MFD since the transducer is facing towards the bow rather than aft. The rounded end typically faces aft when mounted to the transom as designed. Based on the picture you provided, the rounded end is facing toward the bow.

Marked items will display reversed on your display. Items on the port will display right side of the screen and items on the starboard will display on the left side of the screen...just FYI.

Side Note: Yes, the accumulation of water within the bilge and within the center console area is typical for the FSH...Yamaha claims no one has complained or reported; yet, many people on this board have stated they called Yamaha about it and Yamaha claims no news of it.
Where did you find this info? All the info that Gramin gives says to mount it facing this way.

190 fsh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
The flat end faces the transom...also where the wire comes thru the boat connecting to the transducer.

Logistically, how would you mount the rounded end of the transducer to the flat surface of the transom..........?
You may want to do some more research.
You use the bracket that the manufacture supplied with the transducer to do this.
The problem with the transom is that it is stepped and won't read at speed.

190 fsh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
You may want to provide more details in your post when questioning another post.

A. You did not specify that it was a transducer meant for surface mount under the hull.
B. This topic was in reference to transom mount transducers via the original posters comments.
C. The original posters comments were regarding a Lowrance unit and you are providing information regarding Garmin without specifying under hull transducer specifically.

Side Note. The FSH does not have a stepped hull...you are using that term incorrectly. The FSH has hull strakes...a stepped hull is completely different.
More details would of helped
A. It is not a surface mount transducer
B. It is a transom mount transducer
C. I was just trying to be helpful in giving a different way to mount a transducer
The side note
I am sure most people knew what I was referring to about the transom

WTScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Actually, just seeking input from the group and appreciate all of the info. I am still not set on my mount and weighing pros and cons of each. I really like the idea of the flush mount on the ride plate and that would be an 80% solution but I am concerned with a couple of things,

1. Damage potential - but that can also occur with transom mount. There are a shields available that might help (though would have to be modified slightly) - https://www.berleypro.com/product/totalscan-ready-transducer-mount-suits-hobie/
2. Shadowing of side scan beam by the aluminum keel - there would be some blocking and I wonder if the reflected beams would cause any interference / false readings.

The search continues for sure / S

WTScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Making a little bit of progress though going kind of slow while learning and considering options. Spending way too much time and energy but having a lot of fun and enjoying the process.

Got the console organizer installed and the Elite Ti set though still struggling with location and mounting of the totalscan transducer. BTW - the console organizer is very strong and solid - no movement at all and will add a ton of usability. Great item from JetBoatPilot.

The template for the aluminum plate is at the fabricators and I am going with a similar concept as @Brian Filas though will probably not look as good as his. Will be tackling a though hull depth finder next (don't always have the fish finder when just kicking around) and hope to get the seadek ordered in the next couple of days.

Thanks again for the suggestions and help.

Last edited:

DrGamecock

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
SeaDek is worth the investment. I got mine during the group buy so I saved 30%. It looks so nice that I probably would have paid full price. I installed it last weekend because the weather was too warm to hunt deer. Took me about 4 hours by myself. The wife went through and pressed all the edges fully down and used a rolling pin over the whole thing. My only regret is that I didn't get the optional mats when I had the chance. In the spring I'll probably spring for the custom anti-fatigue mat with a custom logo design.

Brian Filas

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
@WTScott ... I am so jealous of the organizer. The problem is, I dont think it will fit into the garage (I only have a few inches to spare with the windshield off). To get around this my next huge waste of time and money will be building my own organizer that is attached to the windshield, versus the console. That way it can come off with the rest of the stuff. Plan to route some starboard to match the contour of the windshield. We will see. As far as a transducer.. I have been looking at the Humminbird 360 attached to the motor. I dont really need to see fish when I am running at 25 knots, so should work fine.

190 fsh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
image.png The Sea Dek is well worth the money

WTScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
@Brian Filas - Brian, thanks for the comments and agree on the organizer.

I think you could save a ton of overall time by buying the JetBoatPilot organizer and just taking the less than five minutes to take out the six screws that hold on the top part when you want to use it /store it. It is really easy to do - just six lock nuts with wide washers. Since it is bolted on and not screwed in that would not give you a long term wear issue. Also, with the windshield off it is a one man job with a power screwdriver (depending on arm length).

You can also use the organizer without the top just as a pad.

That being said, a lot of us are doing this for the journey - not just the destination.

Agree on "high speed" imaging of the lake but would be nice to have the depth working - that's why I am putting in the secondary through hull depth finder. Hope that works.

Last edited:

WTScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length

190 fsh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Looks great - I ordered mine last night. Did you do the full xylene / acetone washdown?
I have always used lacquer thinner and have had great luck with it. Make sure you use white rags. Lacquer thinner and or acetone will take the die out of some rags and will stain the gel coat if you are not careful.

WTScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Posted over on GO7 Installation Thread

OK, took a shot at the ride plate installation. We will see how it works out and can always move it to another location if there is a problem. As noted drilling the aluminum plate is very easy - used a #20 drill and #10 self tapping SS 1/2 inch screws. With four mounting points the transducer is solid as a rock. Ran the cables up beside the motor and cut inside the tunnel to keep the wires off the back end. Again, will see if it works out - hoping so.

Concern is that there will be some shadowing due to the keel but depending on where the sonar emits that may or may not be significant. As long as I don't get any ghosting or interference from reflected signals I can live with this.

The transducer is a little exposed but has some protection from the keel and jet inlet.

Hope to get out on the lake this weekend and will post update on performance (or not).

View attachment 48104 View attachment 48102 View attachment 48103

Last edited: