• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New potential jet boater from PacNW

Slipstream

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi all! I live and boat in the Seattle area. I currently own a 19' Four Winns I/O runabout, and it's time to move up. While we weren't looking for jetboats at all, my wife and I were really impressed by Yahama's lineup. In fact, we're going for a test drive next week! :)

A couple of questions: How do these motors hold up to salt water usage in the real world? Yes, I've read how they're "designed" against corrosion.. How do they really do? I always flush my motor with fresh water when I pull the boat, but understand it may be moored in salt water for weeks at a time. We had to replace our current boat's motor at 8 years, due to corrosion. Our next boat was planned to be a fresh-water cooled system, so the fact that this is unavailable for Yamaha causes a bit of concern.

How's the noise level? I've been reading how Yamaha has made some serious effort into reducing noise. How effective have these measures been?

Finally: Any rumors on the E-class stuff (like push-button start) coming to the 21' line? There are worse things than having to turn two keys, but as a design feature, that just seems kind of silly.

Thanks, all! Looking forward to my test drive!

I came from a 21 foot Four Winns (great boat) last year to my 2016 Yamaha 242. There is NO comparison! I love this boat...the room and storage are very impressive. Noise level, it is about the same as my IO was. I cant tell you much about salt water because I am exclusively fresh water. Good luck in your hunt...I guarantee you will NOT be disappointed by the transition!

Beautiful boat! Thanks for the advice.

@Slipstream . Check out the chaparral vortex line, they have closed loop cooling and are better suited for salt water. I haven't used mine in saltwater yet but when I researched it seemed much better for longevity. I have 223 vrx. Yamaha is a good boat as well I used to have one years ago just not close looped cooling.

Back