• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Texas Resident - Boat Registration?

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well, finally got the boat out for the first time since we officially became residents. Visited, Lake Ray Roberts, and I have to say it was pretty amazing to see a handful of boats for the couple of hours we were out. At home on Lanier we would have seen a hundred other boats.

I was privileged to meet three of Denton Counties finest on the water. They then proceeded to provide me with an opportunity to help provide revenue for Denton County. The ticket was for failing to register the boat within two weeks of moving to Texas. My boat still has current registration in Georgia, in fact my current registration is valid until 2018.

Now instead of arguing with the officers and questioning the two week registration requirement (it's 30 days for vehicle registration and 90 days for drivers license), I said thank you, and have a nice day. So naturally once I got home this evening I started researching the law. I can't find anything online that specifies a registration timeframe for new residents.

The challenge is that Texas is a Title state, and Georgia is a registration only state. I will have to have the boat titled here, and registered here as well. However, I can't find any guidelines or processes on the internet that describe any timelines or spells out what new residents are required to do.

Has anyone else on here moved to Texas in the last couple of years? Any pointers or suggestions to help?

Thanks,

Mike

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2 weeks seems very short. How do they know when you moved to TX?:)

When I moved to TX from FL it was a nightmare registering the boat and trailer. I don't remember seeing a timeframe but it was close to 3 months or so when I did it after "moving" here, I lived here for almost 2 months before I brought the boat to TX.
I had to do a pencil sketch of the HIN on the back of the bot for the DMV, they didn't tell me that in the beginning, so I had to go back out to the boat and hold a piece of paper over the number and rub a pencil over it, then put a piece of scotch tape over the sketch, the DMV had a form I had to put the piece of tape on.

Good luck.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This is straight off the TPWD webpage :

https://tpwd.texas.gov/faq/fishboat/boat/registration_and_titles/

Out-of-State Registration

How do I register my boat in Texas if it is already registered and/or titled in another state?

If you currently have your boat registered and/or titled in your name in another state you can transfer the registration/title to Texas. You must transfer your registration and title within 90 days.

Submit the following to obtain Texas registration and title for a vessel:

Form PWD 143 media download(PDF 228.8 KB);
Form PWD 504 media download(PDF 241.8 KB) (pencil tracing of hull identification/serial number); and
Out-of-state title (if title state) OR out-of state registration card (if registration only state)

I would make a copy of this and take it to the JP court, or wherever the juristicition is. The cops that wrote you up obviously did not know the law!

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I found the actual Statute. Now the way this is worded is interesting, due to the 90 consecutive days of operation.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_l2000_0014.pdf

§ 31.022. Exemptions From Required Numbering (a) A vessel is not required to be numbered under the provisions of this chapter if it is: (1) operated within this state for a period not exceeding 90 consecutive days and is covered by a number in full force and effect which has been awarded under federal law or a federally approved numbering system of another state;

Now as much as I wish I could, I haven't in the 4 years of owning this boat ever operated it for 90 consecutive days. Yes, I undertstand the intent of the law is probably for vehicles operating offshore within Texas boundaries. However, that's not how it's written...

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Very interested in this thread.

I will be moving to San Antonio, Texas in January 2017. I currently have the boat titled and registered in Cali. I was hoping there would be some sort of military exemption, however, the last thing I want is my boat being a magnet for LEOs (due to the sticker) while boating up at Lake Travis. I figure I'll give in and get Texas tags and hope it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. I will have to order the fancy hull letters/numbering again.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
the last thing I want is my boat being a magnet for LEOs (due to the sticker) while boating up at Lake Travis.
Yeah, because the stickers will be more of a magnet then the stripper pole. . . . . = )

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
that stinks! I've boated on Texas' deadliest lake (Lewisville) for the last 6 years and not been stopped once, although once I spot them we conveniently find a new place to go have fun,

Was it a Texas Game warden or actual Denton County Sheriff?

It's a shame I would have thought good sense would have prevailed and if you didn't have alcohol issues and did have the proper safety equipment and current registration from GA that would have told you to have a good day,

Once you get it dismissed that might be a nice letter to the person in charge that their employees are writing tickets for things they don't even know correctly,

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very interested in this thread.

I will be moving to San Antonio, Texas in January 2017. I currently have the boat titled and registered in Cali. I was hoping there would be some sort of military exemption, however, the last thing I want is my boat being a magnet for LEOs (due to the sticker) while boating up at Lake Travis. I figure I'll give in and get Texas tags and hope it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. I will have to order the fancy hull letters/numbering again.
Being active duty you should be fine with your CA registration.

I've been lucky (probably about to jinks myself) I've never been asked for registration or have been stopped by any water patrol.

TX does have a little card they gave me that says you must keep it in the boat, it is still in my truck with all my other insurance/registration papers.

Last weekend when I got to the ramp to leave there were some LEO checking the info of a few jetski people, I don't know if they were acting a fool or if it was just a random checking, but that was the first time I'd seen any around the ramps.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If your trailer is rated over 4,500 lbs you will need to get it safety inspected also and not all vehicle inspections stations do trailers,